StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, etc (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   virtual memory? (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529267)

joeaugeri 07-30-2008 10:30 AM

virtual memory?

ok, what the heck is this and why does my computer keep telling me it needs more?

RobS 07-30-2008 10:35 AM

Re: virtual memory?

some of the other guys will set you straight on *why* you're getting that, but virtual memory is allocated on your hard disc. Comes from when you have too many windows/applications open, or some that are chewing up a LOT of your RAM (fast non-disc drive on-your-motherboard memory), so to open or run another application or window, your computer pushes a running application or part of an app onto "virtual" memory or hard disk.

I seem to remember that Windows XP and/or Vista is setup to auto-backup the OS+apps onto a partition (say the "D:" drive) of your hard disk and if not configured correctly will popup this message a lot.

Bob D'Amico 07-30-2008 02:29 PM

Rob is 99% or 100% correct. I am not familiar with Vista but on XP the "Virtual Memory" file is stored on the root of your boot up drive. Normally that would be Drive C:\. On my PC that drive is named "Raptor C:" As you can see I have "Free Space: 95.5 GB" which means that there is a ton of extra space for more programs and for Windows Virtual Memory.

The Virtual Memory (VM) file is named "hiberfil.sys" and on my PC is currently 2,8882,000 Kilobytes or 2.8 Megabytes.

Click on "My Computer" and select your C:\ to see the same type screen as above. write down the Free Space and Total Size info. Then close it.

Windows uses your hard disk for this Virtual Memory as a swap file, temporarily storing data needed by the programs running. The more RAM you have in your PC, less VM is needed. If you have a modest amount of RAM (512KB or 1 MB) and are running many apps AND your hard disk is full you are apt to run into VM problems. Windows wants you to free up space on your hard disk so it can use it up for VM.

One can often tell what's going on just by the amount of time it takes to load apps, save files, or do just about anything. If you hear your hard disk constantly running or see it's LED indicator flickering all the time that's an indication of RAM or VM or disk space issues.

Before I go further, this is not a problem that you need to pay someone to fix for you. You can do it yourself, my 84 year old mother could do it!

Second you may not be running many applications when this happens but you may be running a large number of applications in "background" which are launched when your PC starts up.

If you are running Windows XP these screen shots will help.

1: Put you mouse on My Computer. DO NOT double-click.
2: Right click, on the drop down menu select Properties.

2 A: Take note in Properties above of the amount of RAM in you PC. As you can see Windows is reporting I have "2.75 GB of RAM"
3: Select the Advanced tab.

4: In the Performance section click on Settings
5: The next screen will display Visual Effects but you should select the Advanced
tab

6: Note on the next screen the "Total paging size for all drives"
7: Now don't get nervous, but click on the Change button for Virtual Memory.

7: If the "System managed size" is not selected, click on it and then click on the OK button.

8: Next we're going to use the "Task Manager" app. RIGHT click on a free area of the Menu Bar on the bottom of your screen and select "Task Manager."

9: Task Manager displays important information, the first is Applications. This shows all the programs you are running in the "foreground" or in other words the programs you started manually.

10: Now here is the kicker, those Applications are just the tip of the iceberg. You are running many more apps. Click on the Processes tab to see the truth, the apps AND the background apps.

11: As you can see above there are many apps (red blocks) with my name associated with them, many of them load when I start my PC. They are mostly running in the background and all of them are using RAM and/or VM. You may be running Quicktime, AOL's (AIM) Instant Messaging, iTunes, and other crapola from Verizon in background all the time.

If you want help solving your problem you can gather the info as outlined above and post it here or call me at 732-297-5688 Thursday afternoon or evening. StriperSurf.com does not have a Geek Squad but Tech Support is free. :wave:

Installing extra RAM is always a GOOD and cheap solution, plus it's easy.

Jess 07-30-2008 09:45 PM

52 processes is a lot more then you need to be running.
Try to get it down into the 30's range.

If you hit start/run type msconfig then enter. click on the start up tab. there you can see all the crap that wants to run when you boot up. there is a lot of boxs you can uncheck to help things out on boot time.
I'm a firm believer of I'll turn what app. on I want to run when I want to run it.

Bob D'Amico 07-30-2008 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 2291095)
52 processes is a lot more then you need to be running.
Try to get it down into the 30's range.

If you hit start/run type msconfig then enter. click on the start up tab. there you can see all the crap that wants to run when you boot up. there is a lot of boxs you can uncheck to help things out on boot time.
I'm a firm believer of I'll turn what app. on I want to run when I want to run it.

All the processes running on my PC I want running. You are forgetting that the "Rocket" has the top of the line Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 processor, 4 GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8800GTS with 640MB onboard - The machine can handle it. You will note that Bonjour, Quicktime and iTunes are not running - I know how to use MSCONFIG :)

I usually use two other programs to control all processes, "procexp.exe" from Micossucks and "autoruns.exe" from www.sysinternals.com

Jess 07-31-2008 06:30 AM

My post was more for the general user then toward your set up.
Guess I could have worded it better.:o

I've fixed pc's that came in with up too 90 processes running at boot up.:hihi:
Talk about slow....:eek:

Shipwreck 07-31-2008 07:30 AM

........:headscratch:
wait....
what was that middle part again?

Bob can this situation happen on my MacBook pro?

DarkSkies 07-31-2008 07:52 AM

Ship, you Mac guys should be banned to your own island.:wave: What fun is going through life with a Mac, never any problems, viruses, etc = more time for fishng, family, friends? Off with your heads, I say! ;)

Bob D'Amico 07-31-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipwreck (Post 2291110)
........:headscratch:
wait....
what was that middle part again?

Bob can this situation happen on my MacBook pro?

I don't fully understand how OS-X Leopard manages memory but it is obvious to me that it is done much more efficiently than a Windows PC. MAC's also use virtual memory (swap file), if you are running a slew of widgets they will slow you down. You can see what's running using the Activity Monitor.app located in your Utilities folder.

An excellent widget that Apple recommends and is normally in the top 5 widgets on Apple's Download page is "iStatPro." That displays everything you need to know about the health of your Mac, including full memory details.

If you find that you are seeing the Apple "Beach Ball" too long when you start a new app that's a sign that you don't have sufficient memory available. You can do two things, first, actually Quit an app when you are finished with it, that will release memory. Number two purchase more RAM. You can max out your Mac Book Pro to 4GB of RAM. You can buy factory spec Apple RAM and install it yourself, it's cheap and easy. Check out Other World Computing at:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...ook/Pro/Core2/

Quote:

All MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo systems have two user accessible slots and may be updated with one memory module at a time. For the maximum performance benefit possible, Apple recommends that two modules of the same size be installed to enable 128MBit memory addressing.
In other words, if you have 2 MB of RAM and want to go to 4 you probably have two 1 MB RAM sticks installed already. Buy two, 2 MB RAM sticks for a total of 4MB. Remove the original RAM and replace it with the new RAM. Just save the original RAM sticks, you won't get much money trying to sell them. OWC offers rebates on MAC memory but it's not worth it.

Video of RAM install instructions at: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm

It's a no brainer, all you need is a Philips head #0 screw driver, be sure to work on a table free of anything else electronic, or with magnets. A glass of Chablis on the work table is OK as long as it's your first glass of the day. :D

Quote:

...you Mac guys should be banned to your own island. What fun is going through life with a Mac, never any problems, viruses, etc = more time for fishng, family, friends? Off with your heads, I say!
We went to a family BBQ last night - One of my nephews stopped me before we left, "Uncle Bob can you take home my !@#%^$ Dell laptop and fix it for me, PUHLEEZE!!"

joeaugeri 08-18-2008 08:08 PM

thanx for all the replys guys. i tried what u said bob,but it still keeps popping up.i guess i need more memory. but when i de-frag it says i have 82% of memory thats empty? basicly i have nothing in here,compared to the computers at work which are full to the brim,and run fine.i also read the posting about slow xp,so its more memory for me.

Jess 08-18-2008 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeaugeri (Post 2292748)
but when i de-frag it says i have 82% of memory thats empty?

When you defrag your playing with the hard drive space.
Not system memory. 2 different things.

In the picture below you will see I have 1 gig of memory, I'm useing 412 meg and have 507 still available to use.

Rt click on your task bar the left click on task manager to see what I'm showing you on your system.

chris c 08-19-2008 08:08 AM

Exactly what Jess said. You're RAM has nothing to do with a defrag. Like Bob said, you could always up the virtual RAM but something tells me there are way too many proccesses running or there is an issue either malware/virus going on.

joeaugeri 09-07-2008 09:08 PM

thanx guys,good advice. i got a 512 mb ddr from newegg( a whole 25 bucks ). put it in ,noticably faster. seems ok.i is happy.