StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Frank Daignault (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   eastern tides @20 years (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538535)

snake slinger 06-12-2013 04:08 PM

eastern tides @20 years
 
Frank its been a few years since i bought and read them. I have been rereading them and they get me just as Horsed as they did the first time i read them! its a good thing Connie never scratched rays eyes out!

Frank Daignault 06-12-2013 07:25 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Thanks so much for putting this up. Where the heck 'ave you been? You were, back when I used to drool over Ester Williams pin-ups, one of my favorite posters. Maybe, after the current evening Scotch has worked off, we can address more of your questions. After all these years, with memory of your loyal suport, I should be able to smooze enough copy from old efforts to entertain our members.

The Connie/Ray story was hugely popular both in the book and later in SWS, back when they knew who I was. One of the painful paybacks of fame and notariety is being forgotten. My friend, thank you for delaying the incessant passage of time.

Jon006 06-12-2013 08:43 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
I have a feeling this is going to be a good one....

Frank Daignault 06-13-2013 10:05 AM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Its only going to be a smoker of a thread for those who read "The Fishing Contest" in SWS ten years ago or remember reading it in Eastern Tides. In essence, short form, Squid Beaumont was competing with Connie's husband in the Rhody Striper Tourney and the husband was leading. Connie broke off a huge striper and Squid found it choking in the surf off Green Hill with Connie's line hanging from its maw. Connie saw Squid retrieve the new lead fish, knowing Squid could knock out her husband's lead. Feeling responsible for this turn of events, she desperately sought to stop Squid from bringing the fish in and threatened to "scratch his eyes out." In other words, Connie was pissed big time.

It was a great story written by me back when I had all my marbles. In addition to goosing my fine novel, it brought attention to the book and added folding green to my estate. It was, as Woolner might have said, "new money for old rope."

snake slinger 06-13-2013 02:24 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Frank did Ray really weigh the fish in the tournement and get the sportsman prize?

Team Phil 06-13-2013 02:58 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
The story you guys are talking about is one of my favorites of all time, the first time I read it I was roaring with laughter. It is just classic really. If you aren't sure if you read it-you didn't!! Not something easily forgotten..."it gets no better":hihi:
-Phil

Frank Daignault 06-13-2013 04:03 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snake slinger (Post 2386471)
Frank did Ray really weigh the fish in the tournement and get the sportsman prize?

What Ray, aka Squid Beaumont, did was turn the fish in to tourney officails and come clean with what happened. Because officials could see the potential for cheating, they gave Ray Jobin a special sportsman prize for bringing the 50 pound plus in. Of course you have to know that all involved distrusted each other. Ray/Squid feared Connie would say she caught it. And Connie and her husband feared Ray would knock them off the leader board with this monster striper. What you have to appreciate in all this is that Connie, who was planning to scratch Ray's eyes out, was photographed -- published in the Providence Journal -- planting a huge smooch on Ray's cheek. Ya just can't make up this kind of chit. :help: (And Frank got the real money.)

snake slinger 06-13-2013 04:30 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Frank did Norman fish the cape ?

Frank Daignault 06-14-2013 07:52 AM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snake slinger (Post 2386478)
Frank did Norman fish the cape ?

Yes, Norm fished Nauset and P-town during the early years, the 1960s. But for weekending the Cape was too demanding. Rhode Island, on the other hand, was less than half the drive. At the time many of us believed that for money fish, quantity and ease in selling, the Cape was best. But for the glory of monster bass, big stuff over 40 pounds, Rhode Island was much more promising. Keep in mind that our quest was for both money and monsters.

There was both controversy and change in the two spots and their perception of which offered the most of either. A lot of Cape regulars, at least in our club, found Rhody to be lack luster and boring. In RI a lot of beach regulars were really there to drink and picnic and the beaches in the deep night were barren, unfished. The Cape anglers were out for blood and pumped it up all night. So comparisons were heavily influenced by what you saw when you went there. But I, and remember that I had the privilage of Ray Jobin, (aka Beaumont) feeding me with inside reports on the local striper population, knew Charlestown was a garden of opportunity. Equipped with a knowledge the "Budweisers" did not have, I was bagging and tagging my brains out on the glory fish, the ones that the Schaefer Contest acknowledged, when nobody knew. Norman would come down to Charlestown and throw a hunk of squid on the bottom and get nothing. One night his little brother, me seven years younger, told him he was fishing like an ashhole. When I came back two hours later with a pair approaching 40 pounds, telling him to wake up, his heart and mind followed. This was around 1968 and from then on Norman was on blood oath. We were, after all, brothers. Your remarks and reflections are both welcomed and invited.

Tomorrow: "Winds of Change"

snake slinger 06-14-2013 08:08 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Thank you Frank, it's just that you talk a lot more about Norman on East Beach and the Breachway. It's funny, I am a Rhody Rat and I fish the rocks, Gansett, and Newport and such for me East Beach is a place guys go in the fall to fish during the day.I gess i need to employ the russian trawler on east

Frank Daignault 06-15-2013 10:14 AM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
I don't know if it would necessarilly be better for you on East Beach. The situation is similar to that outlined on the recent Cape thread. The fishing readers see in my books are employed with the use of a buggy. Good fishing in the striper surf is a lot of things that are way more than choosing the right beach. Time, opportunism, luck, basics -- the list is long. I hope you don't think that all you hve to do is go to East Beach and abandon your rocks and your life is going to change. I also hope you don't think, like one guy who took me deer hunting, that I have yellow balloons on all the fifty-pounders. It don't work that way. Here is yesterday's promise on change I promised...


Yesterday's discussion begs comparisons between the Cape and Charlestown, R.I. The Cape, even then, had a reputation for monster bass. The famous cow kills in the late 1950s, the Arnold Laine legend, Kay Townsend and Rosa Webb with Ladies All-Tackle World Records all cemented the Cape's reputation for memorable fishing. Rhode Island, on the other hand, was an unknown swamp. That I had grown enamored with RI opportunity was simply an accident of time and place, nothing more. We were there because we were allowed, possibley because we were never called ?Gypsies? nor subjected to tank traps on the beach. Nor was I a great surfcaster. My basic skills were augmented by an empty stomach that matched an empty wallet. There were few other options for a big family and I had been born into fishing with my Pa so it really was all we could do.
There were occasional fifty-pounders on the Cape at the time but I didn't catch any of them. I gaffed a 55 for a buddy worming on Long Bar was all. But fifties in Rhode Island were always coming to me or Ray Jobin, probably because we were the only ones fishing. It occurred to me that the Cape needed a hundred surfmen to match one Frank in Rhody.
Late July the Cape would have an influx of redweed or gunk that ruined the fishing while Charlestown was clean. Pressure to fill the fish boxes with huge stripers for both money and glory lubed my angling soul. In essence, and it was how we viewed it at the time, you boxed schoolies for money on Nauset and got your name in the paper at Charlestown. Glory hound that I was, I had a fifty-pounder at Green Hill in '66 and another late July of '67. Cape Cod was really the swamp and they had horseflies that could breed a mallard.

SALMONMEISTER 06-15-2013 12:10 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2386523)
I don't know if it would necessarilly be better for you on East Beach. The situation is similar to that outlined on the recent Cape thread. The fishing readers see in my books are employed with the use of a buggy. Good fishing in the striper surf is a lot of things that are way more than choosing the right beach. Time, opportunism, luck, basics -- the list is long. I hope you don't think that all you hve to do is go to East Beach and abandon your rocks and your life is going to change. I also hope you don't think, like one guy who took me deer hunting, that I have yellow balloons on all the fifty-pounders. It don't work that way. Here is yesterday's promise on change I promised...


Yesterday's discussion begs comparisons between the Cape and Charlestown, R.I. The Cape, even then, had a reputation for monster bass. The famous cow kills in the late 1950s, the Arnold Laine legend, Kay Townsend and Rosa Webb with Ladies All-Tackle World Records all cemented the Cape's reputation for memorable fishing. Rhode Island, on the other hand, was an unknown swamp. That I had grown enamored with RI opportunity was simply an accident of time and place, nothing more. We were there because we were allowed, possibley because we were never called ?Gypsies? nor subjected to tank traps on the beach. Nor was I a great surfcaster. My basic skills were augmented by an empty stomach that matched an empty wallet. There were few other options for a big family and I had been born into fishing with my Pa so it really was all we could do.
There were occasional fifty-pounders on the Cape at the time but I didn't catch any of them. I gaffed a 55 for a buddy worming on Long Bar was all. But fifties in Rhode Island were always coming to me or Ray Jobin, probably because we were the only ones fishing. It occurred to me that the Cape needed a hundred surfmen to match one Frank in Rhody.
Late July the Cape would have an influx of redweed or gunk that ruined the fishing while Charlestown was clean. Pressure to fill the fish boxes with huge stripers for both money and glory lubed my angling soul. In essence, and it was how we viewed it at the time, you boxed schoolies for money on Nauset and got your name in the paper at Charlestown. Glory hound that I was, I had a fifty-pounder at Green Hill in '66 and another late July of '67. Cape Cod was really the swamp and they had horseflies that could breed a mallard.

Frank, I'm no critic (and let's face it...ANY critic is only one mans opinion) but that second paragraph was one of the best written pieces I've read...anywhere.

snake slinger 06-15-2013 01:16 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
I dont want to change my I love my rocks.But One can never have to many places to chase are beloved Stripers.Frank in 77 and 78 you caught glory sized cows on the cape?

Frank Daignault 06-15-2013 03:10 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snake slinger (Post 2386530)
I dont want to change my I love my rocks.But One can never have to many places to chase are beloved Stripers.Frank in 77 and 78 you caught glory sized cows on the cape?

Yes, and we'll get to that period of '77/'78 on the Cape. I plan to follow a time line and right now we are in the late 1960s in RI. If you are enjoying this, as I once told a girl friend from Mapleville, "we mustn't skip nuthin'."

snake slinger 06-15-2013 03:29 PM

Re: eastern tides @20 years
 
Please dont skip nothin! Gata love those girls from Mapleville! I got My oilskins and waders on! Tell me about Plug rock


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2016 StriperSurf.com, All Rights Reserved