StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Frank Daignault (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fishing Knives??? (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541026)

Francis Daignault 03-03-2018 11:45 AM

Fishing Knives???

Do you carry a knife when fishing? If so, what kind, how big and what issues do you consider germaine to your choices. Personally, I love them and am a knife nut for a whole bunch of reasons. Tell our members about your love affair with knives.

Ramp 32 03-03-2018 07:44 PM

Re: Fishing Knives???

Beach or boat a Dexter Russell 7 inch sani-safe fillet knife is always sheathed on my belt . A proven winner. Feel naked without it. Saved my ash more than once

Francis Daignault 03-03-2018 08:18 PM

Thanks, for putting that up, Ramp. Knives are not for self defense; they are for cutting all sort of sheet that find itself into your world. You are fishermen and the need for a knife is self explanatory.

This week my wife and I had each a slice of pizza and she wanted to take some of hers home so I took my pocket knife out and cut her's in half. (Later, while whe was in the ladies room, I ate it.) Love my knife. :dunno:

SALMONMEISTER 03-04-2018 10:24 AM

I have a bunch of knives and some thoughts to go with them. Frank, since you pay by the word, I'll give a little at a time so you don't have to sign up for an "installment plan" :hihi:
The first few are those 1-2" blade knives that we all have at least a few of from dollar-store, to nicely engraved models. My favorites are by Gerber, and by SOG. They have a decent blade and go for $15 give or take a $. The few Gerbers I have are from the "Bear Grylls" series. My favorite is a folding, 3.5" blade model of theirs. It's one of two knives I always have on me fishing, hiking, or kayaking. Goes for about $30...very, very good for the money. My other folding, 3.5" blade is by SOG...about $70 (a gift from Deb...my wife). Both knives have a serrated section where the blade meets the handle...nice for cutting rope. I've even used those little 2" blades to gut fish...a couple extra strokes, but they'll work in a pinch.

Ramp 32 03-04-2018 06:44 PM

My favorite way to prepare striper is steaks over charcoal . I always struggled cutting them until I got a Dexter sg1639sc . A 9 inch serrated blade that really makes the job easier . Best knife I have ever used for thin sliced london broil also . Watch those fingers ! It is a wonderful tool and definitely a must-have for our kitchen and fillet station. Has anyone tried the new "Cuda" or "Bubba" knives ?

BENTROD 03-04-2018 07:48 PM

Fishing knives carries many memories..ive bet you had a few in your day..

JoeG@Breezy 03-04-2018 08:51 PM

I often thought I should get one for safety sake. Like cutting braid that could get wrapped around me in the suds, or cutting some unsavory ocean character loose in the dark. Bought one, ( Hansom ? ) wore it to Montauk, lost it and did not notice that I had lost it for two days. I think I'm getting old, and probably don't need the knife.

Francis Daignault 03-05-2018 12:46 PM

I'm always losing knives. One of the kids bought me an Alaska D-2 tool steel on sale for $50 bucks and I lost it the first month of hunting. What happened and it has happened before, is I loosen my belt to pull my pants down in the woods and the sheath slides down off the belt. Not until later do I notice that I lost it, even forgetting where. I don't think of a knife for self-defense or protection. Its use is for cleaning fish for the table or gutting a deer. Deer are very heavy and gutting removes 33 to 40 percent of the weight so you have to do that right where it happens to fall.

JoeG@Breezy 03-07-2018 08:38 PM

Even with a mid sized deer that's a load to carry. Knives make sense when hunting for several reasons. The best one I can think of when fishing is personal safety, not talking defense, although fishing in and around Queens and Brooklyn defense is something to consider.

Francis Daignault 03-09-2018 04:53 PM

I am very sensitive about knife weight. Carrying a heavy knife all day can contribute to your exhaustion. For that reason I want the smallest, lightest made knife that will still do the job. You can gut a deer with a three inch blade. I actually weigh my knives and I have a lot of them.

I am also idiosyncratic about heavy long-guns, which I dislike. When I started hunting turkeys years ago I found a place on Taconic Ridge which was an awful climb, over 2,000 feet as I recall. Knowing that my 7 1/2 pound 12 ga was killing me, I bought a 5 pound single shot. Dubbing it my "mountain Gun" I used it lovingly on the ridge and have kept using it elsewhere, more these days because of my ageing. I also got the same gun for my wife because if it helped me, it had to be good for her. All unnecessary weight, knife or long-gun, is bad for the user.

SALMONMEISTER 03-09-2018 07:58 PM

I have a knife that's definitely heavy, but that is part of its function...it has some interesting memories surrounding it. You can still find this old dive knife on eBay...goes for around $30...was $10 in 1975. It was made by U.S.Divers Co. It's about a foot long, the blade 7 or 8 inches. You generally wear it around your ankle SCUBA diving. I used to hammer on things underwater with the butt cap (it's designed for that), and the rope cutter near the base of the blade came in handy for cutting heavy mono fishing line that spider webs Long Island's south shore shipwrecks. A few wrecks were even referred to as "two knife wrecks". The blade is heavy...better used for prying and rough cutting. You wouldn't fillet with it...too thick. Although heavy, I frequently hiked and camped with it. You can actually use it as a small hatchet, and the rope cutter functions as a saw. When my wife and I were dating, we took down a small Christmas tree with it at the end of one of our hikes.

SALMONMEISTER 03-09-2018 08:59 PM

On the Salmon River this fall I hooked a knife by a pin that holds the two side plates together. I was pretty excited...it was in perfect condition. The brand is "Tac Force"...hadn't heard of it so I looked it up. Found it on Knifecountryusa(.com). The knife is what I call a "good cheapy". Not the best, but good for a lot of what I do. Many of the Tac Force knives are $6-$12, and most of the prices have been (supposedly) dropped. I bought one of their 3.5" folding blade knives at the local Army/Nayy store. Their 4.5" blade model has a handle that's way too wide.

Lots of all kinds of knives on the Knifecountryusa site...both cheap and expensive ones.

Francis Daignault 03-10-2018 02:07 PM

Many outfits use knives as a come on to induce sales or membership. I have knives that I got for subscribing to outdoor magazines. I have one for renewing my membership in the NRA. For years I sent books to a Ducks Unlimited outfit in Conn. and one year they sent me a nice knife which I have gutted enough deer with to feed the 4th Infantry Division. That has been a lucky knife because I have not lost it. Commonly, when I gut a deer I am so anxious to get moving the deer toward the buggy that I leave the knife on the ground.

JoeG@Breezy 03-13-2018 07:18 PM

A buddy of mine likes to hike up into the hills in the Catskill Game Park looking for landlocked fish he can find in small spring fed lakes. He found a good one, a few weeks later up we went, roughly 850' up and 150' down to the lake. Fished into dark, again dark into dawn for a skunk. While the fire was dying down, after our 3rd bottle of wine he asks me if I want the bear spray or the axe ( you can shave with this puppy ), We were sharing the tent. I took the axe telling him if the bear messes with the tent I'm going to hit him ( buddy ) with the axe and the bear can have dinner.
My brief military and BSA camping skills have long since faded.

Francis Daignault 03-14-2018 01:09 PM

If you ever legally carry a gun in the woods, you will never feel right without it. When our son was stationed in Kodiak, they never fished without a .357 Mag. The bears would see you catching a salmon and try to take it from you. Phuck that! :mgun: