StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fishing - Delaware & Maryland (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OC SURF REPORT 11-11-03 (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3228)

AI4WD 11-12-2003 08:01 PM

Skunked on Tuesday. Moved locations today, tried another nice looking spot that I scouted yesterday. Man I had a ball, set up to dead sticks and took a 2 oz gotcha w 7footer and casted along the rocks that run out. Caught 6 in a half hour 16 - 25 inches. This was a light tackle rod with 10 lb test.

Then, got a knock down on my 9 footer, eeeyah it was a nice nice fish! Saw a swirl and dorsal/Tail at least a 20 pounder from the size of the tail. He began his run and started taking drag then snap! I reeled in a empty line. The damn line broke right at the shock leader. I was so mad I almost thru the whole rig overboard. Anyway my Birthday present swam off in a flurry of white water. All, I could do was curse under my breath.

Hooked that hog 2 hours into the outgoing. There are some real nice spots between 6th Street and 14th Street. in OC. Especially, around the rockpiles running out. If you email me, I'll tell ya the best one! Also, during the week, if you can get there, absolutely no one parked near the Boardwalk. So it is a short hump with your tackle.

Would have loved to had fished the whole incoming tide there ! It seems that it is definitely holding fish even on the outgoing!

Gotta go for now the kids want me to blow out the candles on my cake, so they can eat it. Take care, it is really nice chatting with you folks!

Hooks Up,
Forrest

--------------------
1985 Ford Bronco(typical EB Tan on Blue) with Carrier on the back, iffin you see me then stop by and say "Hello".

AI4WD 11-12-2003 08:01 PM

Skunked on Tuesday. Moved locations today, tried another nice looking spot that I scouted yesterday. Man I had a ball, set up to dead sticks and took a 2 oz gotcha w 7footer and casted along the rocks that run out. Caught 6 in a half hour 16 - 25 inches. This was a light tackle rod with 10 lb test.

Then, got a knock down on my 9 footer, eeeyah it was a nice nice fish! Saw a swirl and dorsal/Tail at least a 20 pounder from the size of the tail. He began his run and started taking drag then snap! I reeled in a empty line. The damn line broke right at the shock leader. I was so mad I almost thru the whole rig overboard. Anyway my Birthday present swam off in a flurry of white water. All, I could do was curse under my breath.

Hooked that hog 2 hours into the outgoing. There are some real nice spots between 6th Street and 14th Street. in OC. Especially, around the rockpiles running out. If you email me, I'll tell ya the best one! Also, during the week, if you can get there, absolutely no one parked near the Boardwalk. So it is a short hump with your tackle.

Would have loved to had fished the whole incoming tide there ! It seems that it is definitely holding fish even on the outgoing!

Gotta go for now the kids want me to blow out the candles on my cake, so they can eat it. Take care, it is really nice chatting with you folks!

Hooks Up,
Forrest

--------------------
1985 Ford Bronco(typical EB Tan on Blue) with Carrier on the back, iffin you see me then stop by and say "Hello".

Tom R 11-12-2003 10:55 PM

Thanks for the report. Happy Birthday!

Doug 11-15-2003 08:57 PM

Hi AI,

I'm thinking that you need to loosen the drag a little? I set mine (using a circle hook) so that line can be pulled pretty easily from the reel. On my conventionals, that normally means a 2 click tighten when the fish is hooked. That still leaves another 1/2 to 1 turn before breaking strength of line is approached. My spinning rods vary from a 1/2 turn to 1 1/2 turns.

Stripers normally tire pretty quickly, so line drag can be loosened and needs to be if you hear the line stretching (sort of like tightened rubber bands being plucked). Knowing ahead of time how far you can tighten that drag is extremely important.

You can even use a scale to measure how far that drag can be tightened however, you will soon learn how tight you need to be just by pulling line off the reel.

I probably lost the first 4 screamers I had, one due to bad knot tying, others to too tight of a drag so keep trying, loosen that drag a little and tell yourself next time your hooked up, BE PATIENT, time is on my side.

Doug

PS- Was the line curled at the shockleader junction? If so, it was probably the knot. What rod, reel, and rig setup are you using?