StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fishing - New Jersey (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Fishing Reports Summer 2019 (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541217)

RobS 07-16-2019 06:44 AM

Re: Fishing Reports Summer 2019

Bonito or Spanish macs? DD's or other metal.

yarddog 07-16-2019 08:03 AM

Moco Yesterday 6p-9p Outfront at the high tide and the beginning of the drop. South wind and warm clear water with a knee high swell. I was on the fly and caught half a dozen micro fluke on a small chartreuse spearing imitation. There were small blues in and out of the surf as well as gangs of cow nosed rays cruising back and forth in the belly between the shore break and the first sand bar.

RobS 07-16-2019 10:04 AM

Been out in the boat a few times lately, but all shorts. Some keepers around, I just haven't gotten through the carpet of sea bass, sea robins (both in the 4" range) and postage stamp flounder (fluke fer u nawthuhnuhs).

And one honking big cownose ray.

In my early days, I remember getting all juiced up with the fight of something like this. I can tell you those days are gone. I'm sick of rays, all kinds. I've pulled in these tackle busters multiple times and well, I hate 'em

Joseph C. 07-16-2019 10:39 AM

There's a lot of good eatin' on them suckers! ...or so I hear.

Rick_C123 07-16-2019 01:23 PM

Yea, but watch out for the stinger!

yarddog 07-16-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph C. (Post 2438234)
There's a lot of good eatin' on them suckers! ...or so I hear.

Sharks love them!

RobS 07-17-2019 06:52 AM

Sharks can have 'em! :D

In fact, I like going for sharks once or twice a summer off the surf but tie into a big suckah, even with a good 8+ bait and wait rod, 50lb+ line, 80lb + leader and you'll be huffing and puffing after the half hour plus battle with a decent one, no less a real tackle buster over 6 ft. Hard core guys are actually setup with shark outfits and belts, without that it gets old real quick.

jbw252 07-17-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobS (Post 2438233)
...I'm sick of rays, all kinds. I've pulled in these tackle busters multiple times and well, I hate 'em...

DITTO!

Joseph C. 07-17-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick_C123 (Post 2438235)
Yea, but watch out for the stinger!

Tooth pick?

Joseph C. 07-17-2019 11:55 AM

I got to IBSP from 4:00 to after 8:, fishing the back. I landed 4 between 15" and 18", so I consider it a good trip.
What made it even better - I hooked into a freight train that hardly slowed down after 3 drag adjustments. It was probably a ray but did just enough head shaking that I had visions of a monster doormat until it settled the issue by letting go.
The same thing happened with a huge hit that promptly resolved into a jumping blue of maybe 5lbs. I'm new enough at this fluking thing that that hasn't happen to me before. Lots of adrenaline!
I also landed 2 nice blue claws... and a turtle!

billwrubel 07-19-2019 10:53 AM

As difficult as this is for me....lets be serious. Big time heat means extra care. I was feeling it and Dr reminded me that fluid without electrolytes does not hydrate you. I am now drinking water with a piece/slice of citrus and a few grains of salt. Has made all the difference. Be smart in the heat

Joseph C. 07-19-2019 02:13 PM

Night fluking? Glow in the dark Gulp is available I think. I wonder if the fluke are still eating, and we're just not fishing for them right.

When I was out last Tuesday I was standing in chest waders,a long sleeve shirt, a neck buff and a hat facing the sun for a few hours. The south wind was honking at ~15 the whole time, and I was still feeling dehydrated by the time I was done. My pants were soaked from condensed sweat inside the waders. I could have gone more lightly dressed, but I am more concerned with the UV.

Your point is well taken, Bill. I would add that it's better not to get too parched - take care to PRE-hydrate when you know you're going to be out for a while.

Bayyaker 07-20-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billwrubel (Post 2438270)
As difficult as this is for me....lets be serious. Big time heat means extra care. I was feeling it and Dr reminded me that fluid without electrolytes does not hydrate you. I am now drinking water with a piece/slice of citrus and a few grains of salt. Has made all the difference. Be smart in the heat

Drink plenty of fluids, because if your standing in the surf, and get stung by a jellyfish:nervous: you want to have enough piss in you to put the fire out. I Know:lecture:

giacommin 07-20-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayyaker (Post 2438280)
Drink plenty of fluids, because if your standing in the surf, and get stung by a jellyfish:nervous: you want to have enough piss in you to put the fire out. I Know:lecture:

I'm sure if there were enough Killer B's with you they'd be more than happy to help:hihi:
I sure would:wave:

mvsusaf 07-20-2019 03:55 PM

Bayyaker: Carry an ounce or two of white vinegar. Takes the sting out.