StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   MAIN FORUM (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What makes a quality surfcaster?? (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527651)

Finsanity 02-25-2008 06:25 PM

What makes a quality surfcaster??
 

Shipwreck
Moderator-Dreamer
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ewing New Jersey
Posts: 3,747


Re: Newbie

It is really good to see some quality surfcasters popping up.
Our goal is to go for quality not blabbering quantity.



I pulled this post from another thread so I wouldn't steer that thread away from the original thought.

I'm not looking to start a argument here but I do want to know Ship what makes a quality surfcaster?

How do we judge who is or is not a quality surfcaster?

What do we use as a gauge to determine whether or not someone is a quality surfcaster?

Number5 02-25-2008 07:04 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
I guess if your asking what makes you good at surf fishing, I'd say the ability to adapt.
I'm not sure what a quality surf caster means.

Shipwreck 02-25-2008 07:14 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Well,
First,
to read between lines is a talent, but a risk. Please understand, I did not write, 'quality surfcasters, unlike others here'. I only said quality surfcasters.

Next, I dont consider myself a sharpie or highliner or even good. I am not even striving for that. That is like saying who has the best album of the year. Its too nebulous. However 'quality' I think is quantifiable. I have not attained what I have set out to do yet. I am just another sand rat.

As long as we have that straight I will endeavour to answer your question.

I think what makes a quality surfcaster is the same across all disciplines of hobbies, talents, and jobs. Quality is someone who does their homework. Someone who is prepared. Someone who has walked the walk and not just talked the talk. Specific to fishing, it is someone who has set a high goal and gone about attaining it in the angling world. Be it jetty fishing, fly tying, plug building. Similairly, if one sets a goal to take the kids out feel the sun on their face, have some fun etc and they set about doing right, that makes them a quality surfcaster too.

You see, its not a contest. You cant pick one out by their equipment or their buggy or boat. It is seeing someone take pride in what they do. Someone who identifies what it is important and sets out to make it happen.

Somebody like Crazy Al has lofty goals, full of dangerous surf, deadly rocks and cold hard nights, yet he attains them. He is a quality surfcaster as a result. Some one like Bob P sets out to innovate and teach to show a generation something in a way nobody thought of before. Yes he fishes differently than somebody like Alberto...However he is every bit the success. Somebody like Passiton who has identified how he wants to spend time with his children, show them what it means to be a steward of the outdoors. He is a quality surfcaster that I admire a great deal. So there is no label or status or badge. Quality is the person reading this who has never fished the beach before. He (or she) is reading articles here and lurking quietly. He has set a goal, even if it is one keeper, but he does his homework and his due dillegence. And it will pay off. Quality is as quality does.:)

CarpenterSteve 02-25-2008 09:54 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Anyone who enjoys the sport, tries to better their skill, freely accepts that there are better surf casters them themselves, practices and preaches responsible fishing, shares their knowledge freely and keeps in mind that they were new to the sport at one time also is Quality in my book.

jms11 02-26-2008 02:45 AM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
I just turned 60 the other day.Hard to believe I made it that far.I've been fishing for 50.I remember the early years and saying to myself "how does that guy over there catch so many fish?" Well, as the saying goes,I might be dumb, but I'm not stupid. So I did two things. I watched every move the guy made,checked out what he was using and gave it a shot.He still out fished me.He knew something!!! So one day I walked up to him and " your really good at this".He said to me "Come here and I'll show you what I'm doing."
So, I learned about cuts in the beach, how to read the wave, what section of the bar to fish at different times of the tide and so on.
I feel very honored that someone feels that I'm good at what I do.So now it's my time to say to someone "come here and I'll show you," if they so choose. I still remember "that guy" and he's been gone for quite a few years.
I'm not sure, but I think this is what some of the guys are trying to say.

Good Fishing,
jms11

DJ Muller 02-26-2008 06:40 AM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jms11 (Post 2275855)
I just turned 60 the other day.Hard to believe I made it that far.I've been fishing for 50.I remember the early years and saying to myself "how does that guy over there catch so many fish?" Well, as the saying goes,I might be dumb, but I'm not stupid. So I did two things. I watched every move the guy made,checked out what he was using and gave it a shot.He still out fished me.He knew something!!! So one day I walked up to him and " your really good at this".He said to me "Come here and I'll show you what I'm doing."
So, I learned about cuts in the beach, how to read the wave, what section of the bar to fish at different times of the tide and so on.
I feel very honored that someone feels that I'm good at what I do.So now it's my time to say to someone "come here and I'll show you," if they so choose. I still remember "that guy" and he's been gone for quite a few years.
I'm not sure, but I think this is what some of the guys are trying to say.

Good Fishing,
jms11

You would know...your one of the best I've seen Jack!

Simply put if you can make chicken soup out of chicken chit...youre good.

BennyB 02-26-2008 08:46 AM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
It's up to individual interpretation. One has to have a definition of "quality" as well as established benchmarks for success. Does a "quality surfcaster" have to catch fish in order to qualify or just be able to cast? :dunno: A lot of times, especially on the internet it's purely judgemental.

Some of the best fishermen I know, these are men in their 60's who have been fishing from the time they were 5 or 6 years old and fish every and any which way possible from Trout Streams to lakes to rivers to bays to the ocean and offshore by boat, land, bridge, pier you name it. They don't have computers and don't want them either hell a couple of them can't even read but they could outfish most on these boards and with WalMart equipment too.

This is what I aspire to be, a good all around fisherman

darrel 02-27-2008 02:43 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
If you run for the camera then she is probably quality.:wow:

Fish Tank 02-27-2008 03:33 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Someone who can get a snarled wind knot untangled on a jetti in the middle of the night... in the middle of a hot bite. :)

:cool:

Finsanity 02-27-2008 06:47 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
I would think that it would be someone who could fish a jetty at night without getting wind knots.:D:D

DJ Muller 02-27-2008 10:47 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
A good surfcaster is someone that loves just being out there...somewhere.

After all...isn't that what it is all about?? :dunno:

BennyB 02-28-2008 11:11 AM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finsanity (Post 2276072)
I would think that it would be someone who could fish a jetty at night without getting wind knots.:D:D

One would think that, yes. :D:D

Joe 02-28-2008 01:59 PM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Muller (Post 2276096)
A good surfcaster is someone that loves just being out there...somewhere.

After all...isn't that what it is all about?? :dunno:

Very well said..

Merlin 02-29-2008 11:24 AM

Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??
 
Perseverance and the ablility to learn from mistakes.

DMag 02-29-2008 01:09 PM

Holy Crap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Muller (Post 2275863)
Simply put if you can make chicken soup out of chicken chit...youre good.

Holy Crap, I think DJ nailed it !!!!!:wow: :doh2:

Holy Crap, Jack is 60 :hihi::banana::banana::banana::birthday:

DMag (the other old fart)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2016 StriperSurf.com, All Rights Reserved