StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Frank Daignault (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534160)

ragman 08-01-2010 12:08 PM

Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Even without Sue in it, that is a pretty impressive picture Frank. Sometimes everything just aligns for a great shot...:)

lagoonguy 08-01-2010 04:48 PM

Here's my latest, "Early Harbor Fog" - acrylic on canvas board - 14"X 16"

fishinglsister 08-03-2010 07:21 AM

[quote=VA Gentleman;2338759]
Quote:

Originally Posted by lagoonguy (Post 2338735)
When I was on the Cape, I was also fortunate to fish with Anton(Tony)Stetzko who is one of a three-way tie for the largest Striper taken in Mass, at Nauset in 1973. Tony is a professional artist and he got me interested in water colors. quote]

Bill,

Wasn't Tony's 73 pound striper caught later than 1973?

Maybe late 70's/ early 80's :dunno:

__________________________________________________ __________________

Stan and Bill,

Stetzko's 73 was caught on November 3rd, 1981. I left The Cape the morning of Halloween and smoked them on Long Island that night (loads of fish to 44 pounds-a month on The Cape and the best I could do was 42). About 2 1/2 weeks earlier, Steve Petri Jr had a 69 lb, 12 ounce fish from the same place (around Pochet Hole).........JC

lagoonguy 08-05-2010 06:39 PM

After I hung my last painting and looked at for a day or two I realized it needed much improvement. So, a couple days ago we hauled the schooner in the foreground out, pulled her mast and rigging and got to work.

Today, she was re-rigged and launched and, here she is about to to join the other schooners for a cruise out of Gloucester.

Frank Daignault 08-06-2010 10:44 AM

Thanks for putting that up, Bill. :wave:

Frank Daignault 08-09-2010 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9320

Joyce 20 pounds and 30 years ago. For those who acquired the second printing of Twenty Years on the Cape, this will be familiar. The original printing had no photo on the back cover, which struck me as a dreadful waste.

akoller 08-09-2010 05:10 PM

Frank that is really a beautiful photo. It's funny how the bass looks larger than 20 because of the comparative size of the angler. In every picture of me with a fish the fish always looks much smaller than it is...

Frank Daignault 08-10-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akoller (Post 2340417)
Frank that is really a beautiful photo. It's funny how the bass looks larger than 20 because of the comparative size of the angler. In every picture of me with a fish the fish always looks much smaller than it is...

The bass was bigger than 20, Koller. When I said 20 pounds ago, I meant my wife. :uhoh:

akoller 08-10-2010 05:33 PM

:doh2:

Frank Daignault 08-11-2010 08:37 AM

Note that the tail hook on her Rebel is on the mount, not the running surface of the guide. When our girls were small they were taught that. Then for years, when they saw another surfcaster with the hook on the guide surface, they whispered a "shame, shame".

Chris Garrity 08-11-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2340494)
Note that the tail hook on her Rebel is on the mount, not the running surface of the guide. When our girls were small they were taught that. Then for years, when they saw another surfcaster with the hook on the guide surface, they whispered a "shame, shame".

Oh, man, that's one of my pet peeves. I put a hook keeper on just about every rod I build, for this exact reason: when you give someone a place to put the hook, they'll put it there; if there isn't a spot designated for the hook, they put it in the guide ring. This can cause a ring to chip, or, even worse, to develop a hairline crack that you can't see. Cracked rings are murder on braid, and a lot of times they're caused when people put hooks where they ain't supposed to be.

Put the hook in the guide frame, not the ring!

lagoonguy 08-11-2010 02:48 PM

Here's my latest painting. It's a 16"X 20" Pen & Ink & Acrylics on Canvas titled: "Fish on" and depicts the hookup of a Swordfish on the edge of the Gulf Stream off Bimini or Chatham or ?

Frank Daignault 08-12-2010 06:41 AM

I think this one is the best one yet, Bill. I could put that up on my wall. :dunno: I suppose I could right click it, print it off my hard drive, then frame it.

Merlin 08-12-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2340543)
I think this one is the best one yet, Bill. I could put that up on my wall. :dunno: I suppose I could right click it, print it off my hard drive, then frame it.

You can try that but it would come out about as the size of a postage stamp. You could put it in photo editing program an enlarge but would loose all clarity, and then there is the proper printer where the ink does not fad and the photo paper which is expensive to be experimenting with. Of course it works fine for a desktop photo.

lagoonguy 08-12-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2340543)

Thanks, Frank. I'm looking into having one or two of my better paintings made into prints on heavy cardstock. My cousin has been doing that with some of his and is selling them matted, but not framed for $25 - $35 as compared to $700 or more for the originals.