StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Frank Daignault (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534160)

lagoonguy 07-07-2010 02:58 PM

Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

[quote=VA Gentleman;2338759]
Quote:

Originally Posted by lagoonguy (Post 2338735)
When I was on the Cape, I was also fortunate to fish with Anton(Tony)Stetzko who is one of a three-way tie for the largest Striper taken in Mass, at Nauset in 1973. Tony is a professional artist and he got me interested in water colors. quote]

Bill,

Wasn't Tony's 73 pound striper caught later than 1973?

Maybe late 70's/ early 80's :dunno:

lagoonguy 07-07-2010 03:01 PM

Bill,

Wasn't Tony's 73 pound striper caught later than 1973?

Maybe late 70's/ early 80's :dunno:[/quote]

Correct. It was 1981

Steve C. Sink 07-07-2010 03:47 PM

Mr. Lagoonguy [Bill I think] if I have ever, in my life, seen any more absolutely beautiful pin and ink work than your wife Therese did, I can't remember. I don't think better ones even exist.

MULE.

Finny 07-07-2010 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is that alittle guy or a really big fish :hihi:

Stan Creighton 07-08-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2338729)
All great visual experiences. Tell me this thread isn't working. I have some stuff I want to put up but there is so much going on all of a sudden. :doh2:

Frank,

Given how modest you are, (especially in the baby food section of the grocery store :D), I will volunteer to be the one to ask...............

If available, could you post a photograph of one of your mounted 50s, or Joyce's 50, or both ?

Thanks!

Stan :wave:

Frank Daignault 07-08-2010 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9175

Here us my first "fifty" a 52 pounder in 1964.

Stan Creighton 07-08-2010 06:45 AM

Frank,

Thanks for the photograph of your first fifty+; I have all of your books, and I had not seen that photograph, before.

Please note on my original post (this morning), I asked for a photograph of one of the mounted fifty+ stripers you have adorning your walls..............

(Assuming you have a photo of it.)

Thanks,

Stan

Frank Daignault 07-08-2010 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9176

Wife Joyce's P-town Striper 50-6 taken in 1977. She was 38.

Frank Daignault 07-08-2010 06:49 AM

Okay, I missed the mounted part. I'll have to browse through a zillion shots in my hard drive. I also have a lot of trouble putting up pictures here but with more experience here, I should get better at it. The pix always have to be reduced which gives me fits. I should practice that more. :doh2:

Frank Daignault 07-08-2010 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9178

Frank and Joyce with her large. Being way in front makes her fifty look smaller. (I guess yuz know that.)

Frank Daignault 07-08-2010 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9179

More in keeping with the original purpose of this thread,this is a marvelous surf shot by Mae Bertoni, who I think is a Cape artist.

(Now that I know how to put up pictures they are liable to be all over the place.) :nervous: :wave:

Frank Daignault 07-08-2010 07:33 AM

I didn't see the pix Finny put up of my "fifty" until this morning. I don't remember if that was the one in '66 or '67 because both were taken by the same loaded Junior Atom in Charlestown. (Today I couldn't, by comparison, catch the clapp in a Panama whorehouse.) :doh2:

Steve C. Sink 07-08-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2338795)
I did the same thing, Steve. I mounted a 16 pound steelhead myself but I paid a guy in Walthan Mass named Rocky to do the paint job. Its the coloration that brings a fish mount to life after the eyes.

Frank, I wish that I had the innate talent to let an air brush or an artist's paint brush see through my eyes. Artistic talent runs in my family with my sister Barbara, and with my wife Teresa and her brother and sister, but it runs away from me like a goat running from a Mountain Lion, although I can beat them hands down tying fish knots. Never, however, found a way to market that skill.:confused:
However I love water color for the same reason that Walter doesn't necessarily like it, in that the so called blurry effect, to me, gives the painting a life-like realism that I can't always find in the sometimes photographic effects of other mediums like pure oil, which is also why Therese's mind-boggling pen and ink work shown here is far better than any photograph that you could take. Therese's talent is amazing. You have to be born with her talent, it can't be taught. At least that's my unqualified opinion.
The great thing about water color is that the perception of the picture varies with the distance that you view it from. There is some really fine, proffesional stuff on this thread. Hope it lasts 'till Christmas.
I agree with the gentleman that says we're waiting on some of your's and Joyce's contributions.

MULE.

Steve C. Sink 07-08-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2338849)
Attachment 9179

More in keeping with the original purpose of this thread,this is a marvelous surf shot by Mae Bertoni, who I think is a Cape artist.

(Now that I know how to put up pictures they are liable to be all over the place.) :nervous: :wave:

Greeeaaat painting Frank. Keep'em coming.

MULE.

Piscator 07-08-2010 09:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I aslo like messing around in photoshop. I was formally trained as a graphic designer but haven't found work in that field since 2000 and the Hartford Courant. If you'd like I can turn a photo of you and your schoolie into you and your 50 ;O)