StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Frank Daignault (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534160)

SALMONMEISTER 06-05-2014 12:06 PM

Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Very nice Bill. I like the fact that you always gives us the story on what you've painted. "A picture is worth a thousand words", so yours are a thousand plus! :)

salmontogue 06-05-2014 12:36 PM

Have you ever held an antique firearm or rod and wondered who owned it and the history behind it....where it traveled, what it did and the smiles and memories created?

This is a part of the wonderment we call the great outdoors.

DP

lagoonguy 06-05-2014 02:26 PM

Thanks, Frank. I do that to preserve the history of the things I love for future generations. Pictures of ships and the sea, Marine Art of New England, Florida, fishing, Bahamas, New England, Caribbean and the south Atlantic areas. Most of my original paintings are sold with a much more complete description of it's history, etc.
Bill

Steve C. Sink 06-06-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lagoonguy (Post 2399423)
Thanks, Frank. I do that to preserve the history of the things I love for future generations. Pictures of ships and the sea, Marine Art of New England, Florida, fishing, Bahamas, New England, Caribbean and the south Atlantic areas. Most of my original paintings are sold with a much more complete description of it's history, etc.
Bill

OUTSTANDING PAINTING BILL, and yes you paint with a purpose in mind, usually targeting the old ways, and that's the kind of books that I enjoy. The younger, fine contributors to FRANK's sight will understand and they, (as AL says, begin to see the outer bar getting closer), will put on the life jacket of old books and paintings, pictures, and stuff that takes us back to the time when we were indestructible, or thought so.
MULE.

Frank Daignault 06-07-2014 02:11 PM

I love wildlife art that relates directly to fishing and hunting. Our home is loaded with contributions of famous art that permits us to relive our angling and woods adventures. I have a Lee Cable Wild Turkey Federation print that is a visual experience and priceless. We have a Charles Denault "Moment of Truth" you can't take your eyes off of. The Fisherman Catalog published a couple of beautiful prints of mine but I never learned how well they did. I suspect but don't really know, that the project did not do well. (Another Mister Smarty crash-n-burn!) :nervous:

walter 06-10-2014 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This Reneson, or a variant, was used as a two page spread for a story on bass fishing in the July issue of Gray's . Check it out. It makes a hell of an illustration.

BTW I posted this image in a previous post.

lagoonguy 06-11-2014 10:43 PM

Running The Gauntlet
This painting is the first in what will become a series of Marine Art depicting the actions of the southern state's navies and the Continental Navy during the American Revolution and War of 1812. Right after the Continental Congress declared war on Great Briton they invoked an embargo on all trade with Briton or importing of Goods in British Ships.

In this painting a British brig is attempting to run the blockade to deliver goods to C Charleston, So. Carolina. It's Acrylic, Pen & Ink on a nautical chart with foam-board backing and measures 11"x 14". Because Charleston was a thriving port and trading center the city was a favorite of the blockade runners.

The My original paintings and prints of same are available for sale. All Fine Art America prints are of top quality and carry a 30 day guarantee of satisfaction or your money back. To see them all, please goto: http://bill-hubbard.artistwebsites.com

Steve C. Sink 06-12-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lagoonguy (Post 2399662)
Running The Gauntlet
This painting is the first in what will become a series of Marine Art depicting the actions of the southern state's navies and the Continental Navy during the American Revolution and War of 1812. Right after the Continental Congress declared war on Great Briton they invoked an embargo on all trade with Briton or importing of Goods in British Ships.

In this painting a British brig is attempting to run the blockade to deliver goods to C Charleston, So. Carolina. It's Acrylic, Pen & Ink on a nautical chart with foam-board backing and measures 11"x 14". Because Charleston was a thriving port and trading center the city was a favorite of the blockade runners.

The My original paintings and prints of same are available for sale. All Fine Art America prints are of top quality and carry a 30 day guarantee of satisfaction or your money back. To see them all, please goto: http://bill-hubbard.artistwebsites.com

BILL that two master may be the finest boat painting that you ever did. Outstanding.

MULE.

lagoonguy 06-24-2014 03:04 PM

Waiting for the Salt
Two coasting schooners wait at the a wharf in Gloucester, Ma. for the Salt Barque from Potugal to arrive. Following the Civil War and up into the mid 1920s, the port of Gloucester imported more salt and caught and exported more salt Cod than any other port in America. Salt was carried by large sailing ships across the Atlantic and coasting schooner distributed it along the coast.
>
Coasting schooners from all over met the Salt Barques in Gloucester and carried salt to Downeast Maine and the Canadian Maritime provinces. Eventually sail was replaced by oil for transatlantic and railroads carried the salt inland.
Bill Hubbard

lagoonguy 07-01-2014 05:28 PM

1775 - First Prize taken in Revolutionary war.
On Aug. 9, 1775 the So. Carolina Committee of Safety orderd it's privateers to patrol the waters off St. Augustine to intercept a shipment of gunpowder due for the British forces there. Capt. Clement Lempreire left Port Royal shortly thereafter in the armed ten-gun sloop Commerceand began a patrol of the area.
>
Early in the morning of Aug. 8th. they came upon the Brigantine Betseyat anchor outside the bar at St. Augustine. They sent away a boarding party which captured the British ship without a fight, with 11,000 lbs. of gunpowder in her hold and the Capt. and crew sound asleep. The Betsey'scaptain was given two alternatives - either have his crew load the gunpowder aboard Commerce or they would sink his ship. They accepted the first choice
>
As they finished loading the powder, a British frigate was seen coming out of St. Augustine. Capt. Lempreier spiked the Betsey's guns and quickly sailed for home. Outsailing the frigate, they landed the powder in Port Royal next day. Some powder was left there with the militia but the bulk of it was shipped on to Charleston by the inland passage. Thus the So.Carolina navy won an important engagement in the early days of the Revolutionary War.

surfking 07-23-2014 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would love for all of you to come out and share in a great exhibition I am putting on in sag harbor on August 8th at 6pm. FREE to the public! vintage and contemporary striper art for sale and view by Lynn bogue hunt, paton miller, goadby lawrence, harry driscole and hundreds and hundreds of vintage plugs on display as well as gear and photos.

My uncle was Frank Pintauro fisherman and saltwater lure collector/writer and this show is in homage to him.

Can't wait for you all to see!

lagoonguy 08-06-2014 05:24 PM

A New Series of Black & White Sketches
This is a new series of sketches of the commercial fishing industry as it was pursued from the early 1900s to the present time. All prints will be made from the original Pen, Ink & Pencil sketch which is on 140 lb. Strathmore Art paper. Many sketches will depicts the boats used in those fisheries. Others will depict the fishermen at work in pursuit of their quarry. The entire series of prints are produced by Fine Art America and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. The original signed sketches are also for sale. Collect the whole series

lagoonguy 08-28-2014 08:27 AM

"Margaret D " at her home port, Gloucester, Ma. prepared for the Mackerel seining season of 1912. She was built for my grandfather, Capt. John A. Dahlmer in Ashtabula, Oh in 1909. Named for and christened by my Mother, Margaret V. Dahlmer, the 69' vessel was moved to Gloucester in 1910 and entered the gillnet fishery. She then fished winters gillnetting and summers seining. Note her seine boat is alongside in the photo

Margaret D's seine boat was 30' long, It carried the seine net and was towed behind the seiner while underway. Once a school of Mackerel was spotted on the surface, she was released with one end of the net and rowed by 8 fishermen around the school while paying out the net. Returning to the seiner; the two ends of the net were joined and the crew drew they together to purse the seine, trapping the mackerel

These are 11X14 pencil sketches on artist bond paper available for framing from:
http://bill-hubbard.fineartamerica.com in several sizes at very reasonable cost and sold with a money-back guarantee.

lagoonguy 08-28-2014 12:08 PM

Savannah Harbor - 1777
This is Savannah harbor two years into the Revolutionary War and a year before it was invaded and captured by the British.

Briganteen on left foreground is a North Carolina privateer. The 3 masted schooner on the right foreground is a privateer from Massachusetts. In the back ground is the Savannah waterfront with several merchant ships docked.

11X14" Pen & Ink and Pencil of Canson 68 lb. Artist Bond. The original and fine copies are available on by website: http://bill-hubbardartistwebsites.com

Deep Breather 09-05-2014 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, this watercolor is appropriately titled "The Surf Fisher" by Mae Bertoni (I think a Connecticut artist). This painting appeared on the cover of Gray's Sporting Journal - Trophy Fishing Vol 3 Issue 2 back in '78. I've had a copy of this painting by my desk for years and when things get $#itty I just look at it for a few seconds and all just dissapears...