StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Frank Daignault (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534160)

Plum Crazy 07-12-2010 04:30 PM

Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

My avatar is Sunrise on Sandy Neck Beach over our rigs for the Everill MaKay Derby

will do Steve:cool:

walter 07-12-2010 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This issue had a nice surf art feature

Frank Daignault 07-13-2010 07:36 AM

Walter, that scene was modeled after Highland Light. All the cues are there. (We are not going to trade you.) :wave:

lagoonguy 07-13-2010 08:30 AM

Sure looks like Highland Light to me.

Frank Daignault 07-13-2010 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9232

Cool off!

walter 07-13-2010 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.williamtrostrichards.org/...ete-works.html

William Trost Richards was a fine seascape artist. He didn't do surf fisherman but he did scads of surf scenes where it is not hard to project a surfman in the scene. Many of his seascapes were of NJ. A little research will turn up more than this moon scene. The link is a good resource for him but the pic quality is not too good.

walter 07-14-2010 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another good night scene.

HOWARD RUSSELL BUTLER (American, 1856-1934) ?BALD HEAD CLIFF, OGUNQUIT, MAINE, STORMY SEA, MOONLIGHT WITH SINGLE STAR?.

ragman 07-14-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Daignault (Post 2339159)
Attachment 9232

Cool off!

This photo reminds me of the woods I used to hang around when I was a kid. :) Always loved walking there after a snowfall ;)

lagoonguy 07-15-2010 07:26 AM

Back in April, Therese and I visited her son Robert for a week in Tuscon. AZ. We didn't get to do any fishing but, we spent a couple of fun days in the Saguru Mountain National Park and I was able to get what, to me, were some interesting wildlife pictures. These shots were all from the Sabino Canyon.

Pictures in order:
1) Seven Falls in Bear Canyon
2) Prarie Dogs
3) Big Horn Sheep
4) Cactus
5) Coyote

RobS 07-15-2010 09:05 AM

Bill,

Perhaps you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what do you use to shoot those shots. Beutiful!

as an aside:

The US Post Office issued a commemorative plaque titled "Trout Fishing", back a while ago, like over 10 years. The local post office had one on its wall, owned by the postmaster, who took it when he left. An acquaintance of mine (who actually started me on fly tying) had one he received as a gift, and I had seen it out on ebay... once... back then but didn't purchase it. Too bad, it was a print of a drawing of a brook trout underwater, with an anger streamside in the background... very similar in 'type' to the Field and Stream cover above. Mounted along the bottom were 3 or more "trout" stamps that the post office issued.

Anyhow, if anyone runs across one, I want it :D

To this thread, put up a picture!

lagoonguy 07-15-2010 11:05 AM

[quote=RobS;2339268]Bill,

Perhaps you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what do you use to shoot those shots. Beutiful!

Rob,

My wife gave me a nice XXXXX EOS digital slr with the 18mm-65mm lens and stabilizer just as it came from XXXXX. All the pictures were shot on automatic because we were riding in a tram and I had no time to set and shoot - just snap away. I use the same camera to shoot our paintings and drawings.

Try google and eBay for that stamp you looking for. I had a brook trout ltd. ed. print mounted with that stamp but, I donated it to my TU chapter when I moved here.

This web site will not let me tykpe in the camera's name. It just shows (XXXXX), but it rymes with fanin, manin,etc.

Bill

RobS 07-15-2010 11:12 AM

yeah, I know which camera... I'm really impressed with those pics for essentially taking them in "point and shoot" mode.

I'm definitely getting a digital SLR when I go to replace my olympus 770 SW. Then again, I still need a knockaround/underwater/abletodrop camera as well.

lagoonguy 07-15-2010 11:13 AM

Here's my latest painting. It's an 8.5"X11" acrylic on canvas board painted from a photo that has 1915 written on it's back. It's of a fishing schooner, rigged for swordfishing entering what I think is New Bedford harbor.

walter 07-15-2010 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something a little more fishing related.

This John Scott cover is a good one and he did several ads for Garcia with surf scenes
that were really nice.

Most of what he did looked Montauk based as this scene suggests.

Steve C. Sink 07-16-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 2339293)
Something a little more fishing related.

This John Scott cover is a good one and he did several ads for Garcia with surf scenes
that were really nice.

Most of what he did looked Montauk based as this scene suggests.

Two days ago, after seeing the shots of these old outdoor mags, I went down to one of my old storage shops [ I'm nothin' but a pack rat ] and filled up four boxes of F&S, OL, and SA that dated way back, and brought them up to the house where they'd be safe. The mice had done a number on some of them, but most were in good shape.

MULE.