StriperSurf Forums

StriperSurf Forums (http://stripersurf.com/forums/index.php)
-   MAIN FORUM (http://stripersurf.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need a custom surf rod (http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2261)

Saltheart 11-10-2003 06:27 PM

I guess I don't know what you mean by "no support where the handle meets the graphite'. These rods are all built the same way all the top builders do a cork tape handle. The cork is tapered down on the lathe and then thread wrapped up the taper and finished. I have rods over twenty years old done this way. I would be interested if any builder does a cork tape handle differently. Please post pics of your work if you have a better idea. Thanks

spence 11-10-2003 07:34 PM

I believe he has extended the handle on his rods, although I'm not exactly sure why

-spence

InshoreAngler 11-10-2003 07:47 PM

KMB, I've heard many ppl that have fished with his rods, all with positive reviews. No offense but maybe you should fish one of his before expressing your opinion.

Tight Lines!
-Vic

DeeJay 11-10-2003 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Saltheart:
I guess I don't know what you mean

Welcome to the club

FormerlyKnownAsJohnR 11-10-2003 09:09 PM

Inshore angler - I'm not highly experienced but for $300, I'll build you two custom rods

I can attest that all of the shops and builders mentioned so far in this thread are all top notch custom builders. One place does have a tendancy to push the cheaper pac bay guides (more so in the past than these days) but they all build great rods. There are other good rod builders too.

KMB - WTH are you talking about? Handle Support? You a rod builder? What is a "joint" on a rod?

MikeCC - how much do those big strippers run? Just curious...

Surfcaster Trapped in a Boaters Body

InshoreAngler 11-10-2003 09:16 PM

yea john, it may be pricey....i just want a rod that will last me forever and handle what types of fishing I want to do....trust this guy the most to do the job after some research.
and if I can get that breakaway 9'6" taht he is making me for $220, i dont mind spending 70 more to get it custom.
After all, my dads selling my boat! I got alot of cash to spend, i've spent $2,000 (including rod)and i just stopped buying! All set for surf and party boat now.

Tight Lines!
-Vic

FishWeeWee 11-10-2003 09:18 PM

Take it from a guy who's fished 'em hard this season - Saltheart aka Mike White wraps a mean surf stick. He's wrapped me several Rhody Rockpile sticks this season and I went about the task of trying to destroy them on jagged rocks and mean-tempered fish, up to 35 lbs. They work well, even though mine don't have any fancy wraps. For the money, you can't go wrong with Saltheart, IMO.

clamdigger 11-10-2003 11:20 PM

Mike makes a super rod ========I met with Mike to go over my rod, because it probably one of a kind in design,, it came out super & works great for what it was design for /////////////////

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE////////
MIKUL

spence 11-11-2003 07:10 AM

Vic, I'd like to see where the 2000 went...and after next season which items you love and which you regret buying.

-spence

FishWeeWee 11-11-2003 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Clamdigger:
Mike makes a super rod ========I met with Mike to go over my rod, because it probably one of a kind in design,, it came out super & works great for what it was design for /////////////////

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE////////
MIKUL

I'm sure your rod was designed to catch only bloofish.

11-11-2003 01:00 PM

I revisited the site and looked at the photos. I made a big mistake. I thought I was looking at where the graphite joins the reel seat. In fact this isn't even in the photos. I don;t know where my head was when I looked the other day. I think my brain just got dizzy from the ugly thread colors. I apologize for the post but am still curious to see a photo of these joints as if there aren't any thicker cork or foam handles over the cork tape at these joints I will stand behind my original post. This has nothing to do with the builder, but all rods built this way and I have seen many.

11-11-2003 01:12 PM

Im sure some of you have no clue what I am talking about in wich case you have no reason to comment on it but here is a photo of what I am talking about.

spence 11-11-2003 01:20 PM

There are no joints here. The wrap and seat are applied over a solid blank. The foam you are calling a "reinforcement" is simply for comfort, or perhaps to make for less detail work on a mass produced rod.

-spence

11-11-2003 01:24 PM

I guess you either dont own many of this style rod or dont catch fish on the ones you own. I will be more then happy to show you how the sloppy joins shift on these rods with out support. If you are willing to buy them I will mail you a half doezen st. croix rods with this problem. You can tell every one how they dont shift then.

11-11-2003 01:41 PM

This is my last post on this topic. Below is a photo of a crack. It's the best I can do with this camera. Personally I don't care what any one buys. All I can do is offer good advise. You want to act like a big shot and waste your money? Go right ahead!