Thread: old friend,
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
SS/Veteran

I rermember that fish now.. When I took the squidder apart the fiber washer under the main gear had come apart and locked the drag. The last time that happened was in the early 1960,s on the cape at highland light.

The ocean was quite, light waves,and a light wind. I was fishing with Mel again. I walked down the beach about a quarter of a mile while Mel fished by the truck at the foot of highland light. There was a hole east of us that I wanted to fish on the flooding tide. After the first cast with the rigged eel, I hit a big fish about fifty feet from the beach, he tried to run, but the drag locked up and the line inside of the eel broke. He was gone.The truck was too far to run to, so I put on another rigged eel. I made a cast with the jammed reel. Shortly I hit another bass, he tried to drag me into the ocean. Too absorb the initial surge of his run I slowly let him pull me in. Putting as much pressure as I dare on him, I stopped walking before I had too swim and once he realized he couldn't go to sea he opened up the ocean .He jumped and thrashed around for a long time, until he couldn't lift his body out of the water any more. What a fight,he was mine.. A nice 45 pounder.