View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Striped Bass Politics

I don't know if it has been discussed before on this site but there is a very interesting book called "Striper Wars" by Dick Russell. It gets into detail all of the appalling politics that led to the demise of the striped bass stocks in the late 70's and early 80's. Today there are equally stupid/corrupt/unethical/inept politics that are running the show and in 10 years from now, if we experience another stock collapse, I wonder what percentage of you will say "we had no way of seeing this coming"!
History has a way of repeating itself and we are headed "down that path". Am I the only one who sees this?
Below is something that was just posted on the SCJ Blog...........JC
__________________________________________________ ____________________

By Charles Witek

Right now, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission is holding a four-day meeting in Philadelphia related to the upcoming benchmark stock assessment for striped bass. That benchmark assessment, which will probably be completed next spring, will be used by fisheries managers to determine how striped bass will be managed for the next span of years?perhaps until 2020 or so.

Representatives from every important striped bass state, and maybe from every state with a declared interest in striped bass are there?except for New York, which is unrepresented.

New York was supposed to send three people. Andy Kahnle, from the Hudson River unit, who sits on ASMFC?s Striped Bass Technical Committee, Carol [I don?t recall her last name] from DEC?s Marine Bureau, who addresses coastal striped bass management issues and Cathy Hattala, who deals with bass up on the Hudson (DEC Marine Bureau Hudson River Unit). ASMFC would have paid for all travel expenses.

Today, I got a phone call from Dick Brame, who is Coastal Conservation Association?s Atlantic States coordinator and thus attending the meeting as an observer. He told me that three Technical Committee members came up to him and asked why New York was not represented at the meeting, given the importance of striped bass to New York and the importance of New York?s Hudson River spawning grounds to striped bass. Cathy Hattala tried to participate in the meeting via ?Webinar?, but apparently the connection was so bad and so time-delayed that she could not effectively take part. As a result, data related to New York?s striped bass fishery (and, I assume, related to things such as the Hudson River abundance index, although I don?t know that for sure) could not be considered at the meeting.

Apparently, the no-show was a result of the governor?s prohibition on travel; even though the travel would have been paid for by ASMFC, the DEC folks couldn?t go.

One would think that a meeting discussing the future management of a fish as important to New York?s anglers as striped bass, should have been important enough for Cuomo?s office to permit travel, particularly when the costs of such travel will be picked up by ASMFC?and particularly when New York?s Hudson River hosts the second-largest spawning population of striped bass on the coast. However, that was not the case. Instead, New York anglers and New York?s striped bass fishery were effectively unrepresented.

This is the sort of thing that the public never hears about, and probably should.