View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Wrong way to release a striper, for all this matter any kind of fish .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppie View Post
Some one had mentioned to me what's the difference if you throw the fish off a jetty or from the surf.
I have watched many anglers kind of dropping the fish off the rocks , not flippin it three feet up in the air.
# 2 when you release a bass or any fish from the surf, if not done with tender lovin care, this fish will wash in with the waves,there is deep water off of the tip of North Jetty at IBSP, not much of a chance the striper will get bounced around in a wave ,most likely the fish will swim away un harmed. This is only IMHO.
Throwing it in to a wave, the fish will bounce a few times, who knows if the fish won't get stressed out never make it back i to deep water,hold the fish in a swimming position, till the tail starts to wiggle, then wait for high water , and watch it gently swim away .
Read what Fishtank wrote , makes a lot of sense
laughable,as i said in my other post the one that wasn't edited,around any jetty are rocks big and small,and its not deep even out front at the tip of the north jetty,now i would like to go back to the post that was taken down,someone had said that they fished the pier in seaside before i was born,which was 1965,then that person said that they saw hundreds of dead fish because of there release,i disagreed because of the simple fact that i fished that pier hardcore style from about 1983 till the early 90's and was witness to many BIG TIME blitz fishing situations,with small fish and fish to near 50lb and i said the only fish floating were in the sinks,another thingie i know many fisherman who tag and release fish caught on that north jetty"fish that land in the water from a higher point than the fish in that picture guppie put up,and those fish are recaptured nice and healthy months later some years later.the fish in that vid,will be fine,,,p.s the drop to the water from the pier in seaside is prolly close to 15ft,i have and many other guys have caught and released many many fish,in clean water i have thrown back fish that sit there a few seconds then swim off..kicking fish back is another story,stripers are a hardy fish,< if you just drop a fish in the water off the jetty you will do more damage,you need to "toss" it out past the submerged rocks ..i;m sure to be attacked agian or edited,everybody has a different opinion>>good thread check my new thread coming up