Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM

Question What are those poles?

Anyone know what those poles are South of the Seaside bridge. I never really thought about it and I always just assumed they were power lines of some sort. But looking at google earth I see they are right in the middle of marshes. I know someone on here has the answer.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Re: What are those poles?

There in Ocean Gate.
Been there for years and have heard different rumors about them but not sure what to believe.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM

I have always heard it called good luck point. I don't know why.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Yep. Good Luck Point. Those are old communication transmission line poles. They were just taken out of limited government service a couple of years ago. A private company bought them and, last I heard, was going to keep them in service. I have no idea what they transmit.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Forget about what I said about them still being active. They were sold to Land for Public Trust and are used now for bird nesting. Recreation access is also permitted. They were formally used for trans Atlantic communication. I should have looked this up before my first post, but I didn't think of it.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM
SS/Insider

If we're talking Ocean Gate, they were used by AT&T for Ship-to-Shore Transmissions when I was just a lowly telephone installer/repairman back in the day.

The radio transmissions caused much havoc for the residents who lived in the area. Locals could pick up their kitchen phone and here "Captain Ahab" talking to his dockmaster........or his girlfriend....

Made lot's of overtime cash for many techs....

bOb....ski

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!

Last edited by crawdad_flipper : 02-01-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGsteveB View Post
Anyone know what those poles are South of the Seaside bridge. I never really thought about it and I always just assumed they were power lines of some sort. But looking at google earth I see they are right in the middle of marshes. I know someone on here has the answer.

The poles you are talking about are the Ship to shore AT&T antenna network. The Good Luck Point station was one part of the ship to shor system. From there the shore signals were transmitted. The poles are set up in specific patterns to maximize transmitted signals. Also in the center is a log periotic antenna on a tower. The receiving station is located in the Manahawkin area.

Bill Former NJ resident now in Montana
Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 PM

The poles you are talking about are the Ship to shore AT&T antenna network. The Good Luck Point station was one part of the ship to shor system. From there the shore signals were transmitted. The poles are set up in specific patterns to maximize transmitted signals. Also in the center is a log periotic antenna on a tower. The receiving station is located in the Manahawkin area.

Bill Former NJ resident now in Montana
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Hello Bill, Welcome
Your post makes it sound like they are still active. Are they?

Thanks for contributing.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Hello Bill, Welcome
Your post makes it sound like they are still active. Are they?

Thanks for contributing.

I believe they still may have some activity but I have not been in NJ for 4 yrs now. Am out in Montana chasing deer and elk. I am a ham radio operator however.. Call is KK7XT. Just before I left an osprey had built a nest on the log periotic antenna and snapped the boom with the weight of all the stuff the nest was made of.

Bill
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Thanks Bill.
I am an Idaho boy myself. Was out there last year again. Truly God's country. I envy you.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Thanks Bill.
I am an Idaho boy myself. Was out there last year again. Truly God's country. I envy you.

Well we have 4' of snow here in Libby Montana. Am so looking to spring. As much as you guys are looking for the bass run to start. Raised in Seaside Park I use to row out to the end of the yacht club and toss rebels there. Did get a few there. Alsothe last day I fished 4 yrs ago I limited out. I light line 6lb or 10lb test and a noodle for a rod. Also flyrodded since 1963 on the surf and in the bay. Use to know Capt COlvin very well.

Bill
Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
SS/Insider

Some time 1998 AT&T petitioned the FCC to discontinue it's Ship to Shore Service (it was called High Seas Service). They had transmitting locations in Fl, CA, and NJ. The one in Ocean Gate had a call sign of "WOO".
(I'll never forget that....WOO!!!) The service allowed ships on the high seas to "connect" to the land line network and make/receive telephone calls.

There was minor opposition from some of the active users but there were other High Frequency and Satelite "providers" available AND.....just like they did in 1984......the FCC allowed ANOTHER "discontinuance" or "AT&T break-up" to occur. Before the end of 1999, AT&T (with the assistance of YOUR Government) screwed another multitude of subscribers.......and employees.

I personally don't know when, or how, the land reverted back to the State/Borough/County/City, or whoever, but I'm sure the birds like it better now......

Here's a link with a bunch of pictures.....http://long-lines.net/places-routes/...eNJ/index.html
they were taken in 2004 so I would imagine it was after that the equipment was dismantled/removed.

bOb....ski

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!

Last edited by crawdad_flipper : 02-05-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey Flipper, can you still remember the wiring for the radio suppresion capacitor for a 500 set? Joe.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 042801 View Post
Hey Flipper, can you still remember the wiring for the radio suppresion capacitor for a 500 set? Joe.
Joe.....

I remember putting capacitors at the protectors and then doing "something else" at the connector block.....(??)

That was much too long ago.....

I spent too much time wondering where to connect the Melco for A Lead control on a Blue Princess in a bedroom above the 551 key system in a Doc's office/home.....

Ahhhhhhh.....memories.....

bOb....ski