Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM

Default FJ Cruiser

I'm thinking about trading in my 2008 x3.

FJ users any complaints?

How does it handle driving on sand?

Internal rod storage? In the x3 I can fit a 9' 6" one piece inside.

Transporting two kayaks on the roof rack...can you attach crossbars to the roof carrier? How sturdy is the carrier?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: FJ Cruiser

The FJ was the vehicle I was considering before I bought my truck. I thought they were no longer in production (2010-2012) but looks like they're back.
I think it is a really neat looking 4x4. Certainly does not have the creature comforts of the x3
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
The FJ was the vehicle I was considering before I bought my truck. I thought they were no longer in production (2010-2012) but looks like they're back.
I think it is a really neat looking 4x4. Certainly does not have the creature comforts of the x3
Some of those creature comforts become annoying when you fish often.

Leather seats are nice but not when you want to hop back in with wet waders.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM

Former FJ owner. I thought it would be great and was disappointed. The fuel economy was 25% lower than advertised. The reliability was terrible although warranty service (lots of it) was acceptable if somewhat slow due to parts not always being available. The Highlander is only about $ 2500 more which makes no sense to me.

I would never buy another FJ. There are lots of other choices that make more sense. Toyota makes some nice vehicles but the FJ is not one of them.

In my opinion, it is an over-priced and unreliable play toy.

DP
Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmontogue View Post
Former FJ owner. I thought it would be great and was disappointed. The fuel economy was 25% lower than advertised. The reliability was terrible although warranty service (lots of it) was acceptable if somewhat slow due to parts not always being available. The Highlander is only about $ 2500 more which makes no sense to me.

I would never buy another FJ. There are lots of other choices that make more sense. Toyota makes some nice vehicles but the FJ is not one of them.

In my opinion, it is an over-priced and unreliable play toy.

DP
Thanks for the honest opinion!

I agree the price seems high for a basic 4x4 but there doesn't seem to be many true 4x4 SUV under $30K. I am also looking at the Highlander and 4runner as well.

We have had three Toyotas in the family (one currently at 225k, one currently at 110k and the other one was decommissioned after 200k miles).

All were serviced in house and none have given us any problems other than the usual minor stuff like a starter/alternator or battery.

I seem to have a new problem with the x3 every other week and its been serviced only by the same dealer (still under warranty).

What problems did you have with the FJ and what model year was it?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM

My FJ was a 2011 and had cold start problems, defective seat belt attachments and a defective transmission that was finally replaced after being rebuilt FIVE times. Toyota, in my opinion, is a changed company. Warranty repairs on major items are done in a way that I can only call grudging at best. Our family has owned a number of their vehicles and my best and oldest friend is a Toyota service manager in a large NH dealership. He is the first to admit that the company has changed and resists expensive repairs even after the fiasco of their non-reporting of defects, recall and warranty claims as required by US federal law.

He doesn't like the FJ, any of the hybrids, the Yaris, the Sienna, Sequoia and Tacoma. He likes the Corolla, Camry, Avalon and Rav4. He advises that the 4Runner, Highlander and Tundra are fine provided you don't try to use them in heavy duty service as advertised by Toyota commercials. He says the Tundra is a play truck, not a work truck and that none of the Toyotas tow very well, even the Tundra. I find all of this disappointing for a once great company.

I recently replaced my FJ with a Ford Explorer which is a bit more expensive but a very capable suv. We also have a recent Suburban 4x4 and a Ram/Cummins one ton 4x4. As you can see, we don't play favorites. If I was replacing the FJ at this moment, I would also consider Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Durango and, perhaps, the Dodge Journey. The smaller GM suvs look attractive but I know nothing of them.

Most all the manufacturers have a better standard warranty than Toyota. My friend recommends purchasing the Toyota extended warranty and disposing of the vehicle while still covered. He advises that Toyota parts and service are ferociously expensive when performed on your dime.

DP
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM

The Toyota warranty is very disappointing for a company who has built a reputation on reliability.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperJohnB View Post
The Toyota warranty is very disappointing for a company who has built a reputation on reliability.
Many things in our lives take a 360 degree journey or swing to extremes like a clock pendulum. A perfect example is the auto manufacturers. American manufacturers were a classic example.

The big three fed us a menu of poorly designed and assembled vehicles and all lost market share. Ford began the recovery first when Henry III retired and was replaced by Caldwell and Poling. They were alone in not accepting government bailout funds...Bravo. Chrysler made a resurgence under Lee Iacocca but then declined, declined more under Daimler-Benz but has made a miraculous recovery under Fiat. Who would have guessed? The Fiat CEO has his home office on the work floor at Chrysler in Auburn Hills....a totally new concept. Again...who would have guessed? GM hit the express version of the slippery slope under CEO Roger Smith and nearly put themselves out of the business but have recently staged a strong recovery. All three companies have made herculean efforts to reconnect with their customer base and offer highly improved, cleverly designed and extensively warranteed vehicles....the pendulum direction has changed.

Toyota has been the standout of Japanese automakers in totally trashing their own reputation and losing customer satisfaction. They became complacent, overly confident and totally smug. They cheated and were caught...repeatedly. It is a story of a great company that thought consumers would take whatever they served up including declining quality and shoddy warranty service. This is the same path previously followed by the big three. Hopefully, the other Asian automakers have taken note and avoid the trap.

As an aside....the worst automobile of the many I have owned and used for business/pleasure was an S-class Mercedes. In the first year of operation, it was in the shop for 32 days. After being refused a replacement, I sued them. They were forced to take the car back and refund all my money and pay damages for the inconvenience. Did they say they were sorry....Nope. Arrogance...very bad behavior. I will never knowingly buy any product manufactured by them or any of their subsidiaries. You should not have to go to litigation to get your car fixed.

Think about this....fish are not affected by arrogance, politics, bribery and marketing. This is why fishing is so much fun.

DP
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Hey John, did you get a buggy?