Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - CT and RI

Fishing - CT and RI Connecticut and Rhode Island Fishing Reports and Information

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Madison, CT Fishing?

Hey guys... I am from central Jersey... My brother lives in Madison, CT... Want to plan some bonding time with the Nephews and brother... Would love to hit the beach with them to do some fishing... I know they are close to hammonasset state park.. My question is around when does the surf fishing start to get good around there?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Madison, CT Fishing?

Contact North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook. The Guys there have all the local knowledge you could ask for.
T
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Usually April is when things start to turn on with the schoolies. I fish mostly a bit west of Madison in West Haven and Milford areas where the Housatonic river flows into the sound. There are holdover bass in the Thames River though all winter. By May fish are usually pretty active, but access can be an issue. There's a nice harbor up there though.Hammonasset is also a nice park with lots of shoreline. I support strippin chicken's suggestion for North Cove, they're a class act.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Thank you for the information. ... I definitely will check out North Cove.. I have seen it but never stopped....
Old 11-12-2015, 11:11 AM

Does anyone know if fishing is permitted at Hammonasset after dark? Its been a while since I've been there but I recall that it was allowed. Just looking for a confirmation.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM

Yes it is allowed. I think there may be a pass you need, but as long as you have evidence that you are fishing on you (rod, tackle) you're ok to go at night.
Meigs point, all the way at the end of the park road has a jetty with a rip and a rockpile at the end that is a good place to try. The beach extends all the way out to Meigs point.