Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Default Yoshikawa Spinning Reels

I am a long time surfcaster from New Jersey and have a good assortment of high quality rods and reels. But am looking for an inexpensive good quality fishing reel for light duty. Anyone heard of the above reels and any opinions? Thank much and good fishing. Fred
Old 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Yoshikawa Spinning Reels

I am a long time surfcaster from New Jersey and have a good assortment of high quality rods and reels. I am now looking for an inexpensive and good quality spinning reel for light duty. Has anyone heard of the above reels and any opinions appreciated. Good fishing. Fred
Old 08-07-2016, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Yoshikawa Spinning Reels

I haven't tried that brand, but I've been reasonably happy with some Chinese brands. You have to compare them to brand name reels and you'll see similarities that suggest they are made in the same factories as brands like Quantum, Daiwa, Okuma etc. I bought a $30 baitcaster that is smoother and casts further than a Curado and a spinning reel that I find better than a Stradic Ci4...and actually that spinning reel is now going to marketed by a major brand. However, I find quality control isn't the best. I've often had to tighten screws, make adjustments internally or use a heavier grease on the gears to smooth things out. I've only got one chinese reel that was lemon so far, but like I said, I spend my time looking at them and picking the best made. You have to make sure they are using stainless bearings too. I've got two surf spinning reels that appear to be well made coming in the mail. I purchased them because I wasn't pleased with some of the under $200 surf spinning reels that flex like a wet noodle when you've got a 30lb striper on. These chinese reels actually have a full metal reel foot and leg that is screwed into the metal body of the reel. It also has 14 SS bearings...the closest anything from Daiwa has under $100 is like 3 bearings. I'm not buying a Van Staal for distance casting and I'm so cheap I'd only buy one if I picked it up at a yardsale for a steal!