Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Default Anyone have a VM 150 they can comment on?

I've been lusting after a VS for years now - but I can't afford the VS or the X series - even used they are almost as much as new. So .. the VM 150 - their "beginner" VS reel - yes, I know it's not waterproof - but I don't swim and fish, or crank it underwater. From what I understand, it does have a seal to keep out most of the water. I do maintain my reels, so rinsing with fresh after every trip to the jetty is nothing new.
But everyone I ask has a negative opinion on this reel - "it sucks" seems to be the consensus, but I never have heard from anyone who actually has one, and fishes with it. I'll be using it on a 10' Tsunami 2-6oz rod, mostly throwing plugs.
Spinning is new to me. I've fished conventional for the past 30 years, but have wanted to get a spinning rig for some time - I do have one I use for throwing metal to Spanish Macs and Albies in the summer on a 9' Lamiglass rod. I've had it for 20 odd years, but it's a bit light and the line capacity isn't what I want.

So, anyone with a VM 150 who can give me the real scoop on it?
Thanks!