Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Help Me Design a New Beach Cart...

So I decided this year I wanted a surf fishing cart. I only ever walk out on the beach and got sick and tired of packing and unpacking all my stuff every time I wanted to make a move. I usually bring 2 surf rods and a lighter tackle rod with me on the beach along with a tackle box, sand spikes, bait ect.

Started by refurbishing an old folding golf bag cart and making some big squishy wheels for it then mounting a small cooler.

Now I'm sort of stumped. I don't know if I should just hang my old satchel style fishing bag on that cart or to try to carry more stuff than I usually do. I'm tempted to trick out a milk crate that sits on top of the cooler and straps on the cart but am afraid that the next thing you know I'll be dragging 100 lbs of crap around with me all day.

I'd love to hear what you guys bring out for a day of fishing, and what you would or wouldn't recommend to hold it all.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Help Me Design a New Beach Cart...

I probably won't be driving the beach this year, and will likely be hitting the sand, which will make be much more conservative than I've been with the buggy, which literally had everything I could possibly use for the season.

I've seen the various carts which have rod holders, and thought that might be a good addition for you, but given the golf caddy, the rods would be angled toward you and it might not work well.

Your cooler may be able to hold whatever you need, so I agree about being careful.

Thinking about this more, a holder for a sandspike or two would be good, if not the rods. Also some kind of drink holder, or another "box"... maybe not the crate but I like to keep fishing gear/bait/etc and edibles/consumables (for me) separate.

Those don't look like big wheels so but hopefully they'll ride the sand well enough, another reason to not load it down with too much.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM

I should have mentioned. Some rod/sandspike holders are on the agenda. I just haven't decided whether they should be mounted on the cart or on the milk crate or whatever.

I would like to have some kind of separate thing on there that I could grab up if I want to climb out onto a jetti or something.

The wheels are actually wheel burrow inner tubes. I saw a thing online that they work fairly well on sand as you don't inflate them all that much and they squish flat on the bottom to create more surface area. But I haven't been able to test em out yet either.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

I think you are limited to two rods with that.
I would mount a milk crate to the bottom.
Mount 2" pvc on either side at an angle opposite from the handle with hose clamps and put a cap on the bottom, that will hold 1 1/2" pvc for spike, they will slide inside the 2" and double as the rod holder.

You can see if you can layer another milk crate on top for more stuff but it might get a bit heavy and awkward.

When I used to walk on, it was 2-3 rods in one hand and whatever I needed must fit in the 5 gallon bucket in the other hand. Heck, even my PVC spikes were 28" so I didn't have to carry a ruler...

That's my 2 cents....

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N View Post
Heck, even my PVC spikes were 28" so I didn't have to carry a ruler...

I won't say a word on that ...
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
Senior Member Team SS

very cool

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM
SS/Veteran

strangetanks check your pm
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM

I bought my cart but the one thing I learned is you need those big balloon tires for the soft sand, they are worth the money.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY247 View Post
I bought my cart but the one thing I learned is you need those big balloon tires for the soft sand, they are worth the money.
That's the only way on soft sand

vinny@stripersurf.com