Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 AM

Default Anyone try the Penn non-serviced reel exchange?

I've got a Penn 980 Mag Power - it's a great reel - I bought it in '85, and learned how to cast and fish with a conventional reel with it. I usually send it back to Penn to get serviced every few years - it has always come back with new bearings, cleaned, etc - basically a brand new reel.
Unfortunately, Penn stopped servicing the 970/80/990 series of reels. I was reading the fine print, and they have a program where you can send in a reel that is no longer serviced by them, and have it exchanged for a reel the tech feels is a comparable swap, for a brand new reel of their choice at a 45% discount - which certainly isn't bad! I was wondering if anyone has done it and if they felt it was an equitable swap - I'm guessing they'd swap my 980 for a 525 Mag, or something along those lines.
So has anyone done it, and did you think you got a good deal? You CAN request a reel - but it says they don't have to honor your request - I'm seriously thinking of sending mine in for a swap, or at least to see what they'd offer me - though just doing it to "kick the tires" might be expensive as you'd pay shipping both ways.
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Anyone try the Penn non-serviced reel exchange?

I'd contact them first before I sent in the reel. Want to know up front what I'm swapping for and the total $ it will cost me.
Just because Penn doesn't service your reel doesn't mean it can't be serviced.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:04 PM

About the only reel Penn makes that is somewhat equivalent to the 980 is the 525 Mag I'd say. But your're right, I'd want to know ahead of time what they are offering, but after reading it again it seems that whatever service technician winds up with it makes the call. And you're right, there are non "official Penn" places to get a Penn reel serviced, and there are still lots of parts out there. I bought an old 704 Greenie the other day on Ebay and there are parts available for it on Ebay as well. I want to rebuild it, and customize it, but that's a whole different thread.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:27 PM

REELS NO LONGER SERVICED
We regret to inform you that we are no longer able to service the following PENN reels and downriggers. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Spinning reels:
Prion
Affinity
Captiva
Spinfisher Z-Series
GR-Series
PG Series
Silver Series
Silverado
SS Series
Conventional reels:
GLS Lever Drag
Baitcaster Series (910/20/30/40)
GTO Level Wind
970/80/90 Series of reels
800 Series of line counter reels
118 16/0 Senator reel
Other:
Electric Downriggers
Fly reels
While we no longer service these reels, they are still eligible for our exchange program, which offers customers an upgrade to a new series of reel (refurbished or new) at a discounted price with a full one-year warranty. If your PENN reel is not on this list, please "contact us" for information about servicing/exchanging your reel. The contact us on their site is a link.