Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Default smokin bluefish...recipe

Frank- I know you guys have addressed this but my search came up empty... I got a huge bluefish and figured this funky monster is perfect for my smoker...

DO we all have a great brine recipe for hot smoking?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Re: smokin bluefish...recipe

I don't smoke stuff but I do love bluefish at the table. Hope someone can help you.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I don't smoke stuff but I do love bluefish at the table. Hope someone can help you.

thanks Frank..hope so too
Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM

While we are waiting for a smoking post, remember that you can vac-seal bluefish for over a year and it tastes like it was caught that day. I tried it for an article on vac-seal and was delightfully surprised.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM
SS/Veteran

Bruce- I searched on Yahoo just because I was bored and it came up with a slew of recipes for smoking bluefish. Allrecipes might be worth checking out because that is my go to sight. Whether it is cold smoking or hot smoking is your choice.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Bruce- I searched on Yahoo just because I was bored and it came up with a slew of recipes for smoking bluefish. Allrecipes might be worth checking out because that is my go to sight. Whether it is cold smoking or hot smoking is your choice.
I'll check it out..I did look at alot. I will def/ look at yours. Hoped somebody had a go to. I was not too satisfied with what I found. Guess I wanted something more?

My monster bluefish and a few others small ones smoked ok on the old beat up rusty Webber dome type...with wood on one side and soaking smoke chips on the other.

I also tried at the same time to use my new Webber propane grill... I just could not get smoke happening enough to give me confidence. It was stressful doing both at the same time. ha ha ha
Ultimately it worked out with an ok batch of hot smoked fish. At one point I sampled the cooked but not yet smoke /completed big fat piece of the 16lb fish... Yuck!!! funky fatty - actually dripping with fat- and I like bluefish! It tasted better later but I was nauseous from snacking through the process. It was about patience and the brine. I need to try a better one
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2017, 04:24 PM

What's wrong with frying in butter or grilling with a dash of lemon juice. Also, blacken with a hot fire.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:30 PM
SS/Veteran

I have a recipe somewhere at home. I'll see if I can find it tonight.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I have a recipe somewhere at home. I'll see if I can find it tonight.
thanks, Chris- I had a great one and just can't find it. thought I got it from you guys.
It worked I guess, but it was not stella like the first time.

brine recipe i used-
ice +wate stir and add in a box of sea salt = soak for a few hours.
then rub the fish with brown sugar and smoke.

seemed to end up being -too much salt not enough sugar

The whole thing was -just ok.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
What's wrong with frying in butter or grilling with a dash of lemon juice. Also, blacken with a hot fire.
I love bluefish... small ones and even bigger. I like it blackened, teriyaki, butter and lemon. My wife makes it with tomato and feta..or fish cakes.....

...The pic does not seem show how big this was..we weighed with a little metal circa 1950 freshwater scale thing as big as a matchbook.. it seemed to max out.. So we figure it 16-18lbs... It had scars and gashes all healed up..All it was missing was Gregory Peck strapped to the side of it....

This big one was too old and big for my tastes... Maybe blackened would work but a lot would go to waste.Nobody else would eat it....We are going to bite the bullet and get a chest freezer and a vac seal.

I hot smoked it, which meant I sort of cooked it long and slow.. I was very hungry and snacked on a piece.It was dripping with fat.. Never saw that before.... and boy it tasted bad. For me to say that is something...

It might of been one of those things , like snacking on a fatty ham while you carve it, leaves you with no stomach for dinner?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:07 AM
SS/Veteran

Smoked Bluefish pate- This was a winner
We made three big tupperwares full...

1 cup of Bluefish smoked
a pack of cream chesse
black pepper
two onions. We tried one red onion in one batch.. but lost track of which batch was which so who knows?
horseradish ( two-three big spoonfuls)
I had too much salt in my brine so I added none..maybe my wife spiked it later cause it sure tasted great.
throw the whole thing in a
food processor...
Old 10-07-2017, 04:20 PM

My experience with bluefish is to avoid the big ones. The smaller the better which is true of most fish and certainly venison. Those smallish harbor blues around 2 or 3 pounds and certainly 10 inch late summer snappers are to die for.