Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Late model SUV with real 4WD?

This has been done before, but not for a couple of years and many models have been redesigned for soccer moms will AWD instead of 4WD. SO are the any decent SUVs with real 4WD anymore, other than the $50+K huge luxury liners??? I am seeing more AWD crossovers and wanna-be SUVs on the beach, but are there any of them really good in the sand? I am getting too old to drive my Wrangler 170 miles one way to the beach, but love it in the sand. What is a decent beach buggy for a reasonable cost, new or a few years old???
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Late model SUV with real 4WD?

Good question and have fun finding out. I was looking at this and wound up shelling out $ for a Toyota 4Runner after I gave up on my Jeep (see the "My new rod rack holder" thread) Wrangler Unlimited. I won't buy another Jeep, even though I've had 6 in the family prior. The 4Runner or more expensive Sequoia are both excellent on the beach but late models are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Some other vehicles that are less expensive like the Rav4, Ford Escape ('15 and prior, I believe) and the like, even the Honda CR-V, did have true 4WD models but I've always heard of so-so performance on the sand, though I definitely see 4WD Rav4's from time to time on Brigantine.

None of those are utility vehicles like the wrangler, but they can work and are the lower end of the price spectrum.

I had a 2010 Jeep Liberty that was pretty decent in the sand, not as good as the wrangler but I used it for a few years with no problems.

And then there are the trucks, Nissan Frontier is a popular small truck on the sand.
And row4fun (Pat) has used them extensively. Many other trucks with 4WD are available.

A true 4WD and then airing down properly will handle most conditions.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM
SS/Veteran

If your in the market of a low mileage 2011 Silverado 4x4 LTZ w/ tow package fully loaded 8’bed ARE top rug bed & LED lights . PM me
The only vehicle for sand is 4x4 & airing down like Rob explained
Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
If your in the market of a low mileage 2011 Silverado 4x4 LTZ w/ tow package fully loaded 8?bed ARE top rug bed & LED lights . PM me
The only vehicle for sand is 4x4 & airing down like Rob explained
Thank. I have a 2003 Silverado that I have used on the beach before I bought my Wrangler. It only has 62K miles on it, but I a a little concerned about depending on it to make the 170 mile each way trips down the shore. I am thinking of selling both a getting a mid size SUV, but only find AWD's in that class and don't want to put out $50 K for a new full sized truck at this point. I fish IBSP most of the time and think I need something with more clearance that the little crossovers have.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTracker View Post
Thank. I have a 2003 Silverado that I have used on the beach before I bought my Wrangler. It only has 62K miles on it, but I a a little concerned about depending on it to make the 170 mile each way trips down the shore. I am thinking of selling both a getting a mid size SUV, but only find AWD's in that class and don't want to put out $50 K for a new full sized truck at this point. I fish IBSP most of the time and think I need something with more clearance that the little crossovers have.
Agree that?s why I put the top to lock store equipment, nasty weather elements and summer bugs with the 8’ bed it really comes in handy to take a nap when I drive to IBSP, LI , Cape . Those long trips are a bitch sometimes. Silverado are the Cadillac of all trucks . I?m just give up on the beach thing ( since the 60?s ) easy trips the Catskills no need for all that beach stuff just a few fly rods and vest .
Old 10-14-2017, 11:02 AM

I had a 2004 Tacoma 4 X 4 V6 and she was great on the beach when aired down, never had a problem with her. Now i have a 2012 Jeep Liberty with real 4 X 4 with the 4 Low. There again when aired down , no problem. Her ground clearance is only 7.5 " so i just have to be a little careful of Ruts and deep sand. Just like i did with the Taco. I just couldn't see paying the cost for the 4 Runner, a great truck but being retired, no way. Tight lines.