Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Default first 10 feet

At the end of the season, the last two days, I seemed to lose lures casting. I changed the line in the spring but it occurred to me perhaps I should be cutting back and retying the leader now and again to avoid losing expensive plugs.
What do you do or have to advise on this?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: first 10 feet

boring thread.... but I have been curiuos.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Run a Q-tip thru the rod guides , if any of the cotton gets hung up on the rod guide you will have a chip , splice in the guidevwhich will cut off the line . Lose presentations .

If your using a spinning reel check your reels line guide also.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM

I retie every trip. When I have been casting for a long time, I retie. If I have caught a lot of fish, I retie. If the line is hugely strong, as in conventional braid over 50 pound, I am not so fastidious about knot fear. Never, ever, fish any line past one season. I was just reading my old book, "The Trophy Striper". In it I have a section called, "Its the knot, Stupid." I don't like to push my books but that title was very popular and reprinted a number of times. Of course if you keep cutting line back, spool depletion will reduce your casting distance.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I retie every trip. When I have been casting for a long time, I retie. If I have caught a lot of fish, I retie. If the line is hugely strong, as in conventional braid over 50 pound, I am not so fastidious about knot fear. Never, ever, fish any line past one season. I was just reading my old book, "The Trophy Striper". In it I have a section called, "Its the knot, Stupid." I don't like to push my books but that title was very popular and reprinted a number of times. Of course if you keep cutting line back, spool depletion will reduce your casting distance.
Well that settles it.. I read your books so no worries..push em... I just don't remember everything.. I'll re tie before I regret it.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Bruce, how many bass do you want to get, only to throw them back. Even if you have a crappy line, just go easy and you will catch your ONE bass and go home.