Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Default surf bag

yeah make one I know but all I have is junk that frustrates me. Frank my bag, I only use when separated from my truck.... Sucksssssss. I hate it. Especially at night.
plug stuck in the bag on the bag lost inside the bag... XXX.So frustrating...What do you use? Knapsack left on the beach until you need it..Can't wander too far down the beach.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: surf bag

took a look on . line -Tackledir....$100 + for a bag!!!!! Holy cow
Old 10-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Most of our fishing has always been, still is, out of a buggy. In some places where you can't drive in we have resorted to a lot of backpacking. We have done a lot of backpacking for both fishing and hunting. You can pack out a whole deer (meat) with a good one because the weight of its contents is distributed to between shoulders and your waist. I love them. I must have at least three, some quite pricey. I never used surf bag; buggy or backpack. I think they get too much money when you could resort to a military gas mask bag.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:21 PM
SS/Veteran

hUm.. yeah why not...so when you hiked in . you tossed the bag up the beach and walked back to it each time change lures Like we do anyway when we walk to out trucks. Makes sense thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 PM

I have this one: https://www.jandh.com/products/supre...-surf-bag.html
It has been good. Durable, good storage. Plier holder built in, bucktail/tin section. Not cheap, but compared to other good quality bags it is reasonable. I have it loaded up for grab and go with everything I need. I usually plop it on the ground near wherever I am, but it easily shoulders to move with.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB3rd View Post
I have this one: https://www.jandh.com/products/supre...-surf-bag.html
It has been good. Durable, good storage. Plier holder built in, bucktail/tin section. Not cheap, but compared to other good quality bags it is reasonable. I have it loaded up for grab and go with everything I need. I usually plop it on the ground near wherever I am, but it easily shoulders to move with.

Thanks!!!!!
that looks good and $50 bucks is ok... the one I have.. bronco??? hooks get stuck in it all night long.. a mess...
I got a knapsack laying around - kids reject from their HS days.. so I'll try both..thanks again
Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM

Plug bags will not accommodate the Giant Pikie, which is among my favorites. So often industry lacks experience in the many issues in surfcasting.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:32 PM
SS/Veteran

If I'm going out for a few hours I bring a L.L. Bean fanny pack. It holds all I need plus it has a water bottle pocket. Most of my fishing is backbay and lighter surf. I'm throwing Sluggos, smaller swimming plugs, and various jigs and soft plastics. I generally carry two smaller rods and can tuck one into the rear waistband on my left side while I right-hand cast with the other rod. If I'm going out longer, I'll carry a small backpack and possibly bring a third rod (fly rod or a heavy rod if I'm bringing the heavier plugs and jigs) and extra food and water. I know many carry these "shoulder bags" but I think a backpack or fanny pack is better for balance and movement on long walks and climbing jettys.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:13 PM
SS/Veteran

I went out this morn... 4am...
no corkers so I stepped lightly over the rocks and got "worked "while current waves all beat the crap out of me.knocking me all over the place... . I had to lose the bag or fall on my boney bass - I ditched it up the beach so I might as well use a knapsack.. The surf bag I have is such a piece of sheet. hooks get caught, crap drops out.. I'm going with the supreme
Old 10-28-2017, 01:49 PM

You have to avoid the overloading of a tackle bag. I keep it to a few lures and water bottle. When we used to fish live eels a lot we always kept a floater Rebel, in the box, in our waders. You could come upon a school of bass that would not take the eels; or you could lose a couple of eels, get cut by a bluefish and find yourself in need of something to fish with. The mobile working of a beach is not enhanced by a tackle bag. All situations are different. One place we fly fish, the buggy is close and we work the outflow with only a small fly case and hat brim flashlight. No mobility and extra stuff stays in the buggy.

The real high suitability of a backpack is more applicable to hunting, which, I know, is outside the bounds of this thread.

BTW, I once wrote/sold a story called "Backpacking the Striper Strongholds"
Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Plug bags will not accommodate the Giant Pikie, which is among my favorites. So often industry lacks experience in the many issues in surfcasting.
I'm not sure I have the rod that can cast that bee ache.. You use convec when throwing the giant pikee?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 PM

I always used conventional for the pikie. But I think, without knowing, that a big spinning outfit would work. Way back, when my wife was lusting over my results, she asked me for a pikie and I gave her smaller Pikie rendition that Murat was selling at the time and she got a few big bass, some over 40, with her "sissy plug". She is pictured in one of the books with some decent bass and you can see the smallish pikie on her rod. (Somebody look up and put up the page where she is shown.)