Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Default SHad...big stinkin shad

Catching a ton of shad these days...No bass.... ugh. water too warm, not lucky and over fished species.
Can't eat um. Can you????
Too big for bait? On the open beach that is/
Chunk them?
Match them and toss plugs?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Re: SHad...big stinkin shad

You cannot eat shad but stripers do. Its a size issue because you cant live-line 16 inch shad to 28 inch stripers because the shad are too big. I would think about chunking the shad; then you could catch any size striper that is around. You might match the shad with plugs, as you suggest. Your shad plug simulator might work because bass might find swallowable size "shad" appealing. Good question/thread.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Only striped bass I ever lost and think about was on a live hickory shad. Chunked bunker all night for nada. @ dawn a kid throwing an ava 17 hooked a 3 lb hickory shad. asked the kid If I could have it.... re rigged with a 10/0 and sent it out. it was a very calm morning so the shad just went back and forth on the bar...then It got pummeled...it was an enormous explosion....set the hook and the fish bent the rod to the cork and took line for a good 40 yards. (10 foot lami conventional, ambassador 7000) bass are cool fish, but in my opinion they are not nearly the best fighting fish in the sea. this one was fierce though, just angry as hell....then the line went slack and the pole went straight. the hook turned back into the bait. it could have been a pissed off 35 lber or the biggest striped bass that ever lived. will never know, but I often think about that fish. moral of the story is unless its really late or really early in the year...there are potentially fish around that can eat it. I once witnessed an 800 LB class Blue Marlin eat a 50 lb yellowfin tuna we had on the line like an m&m. fish will eat surprisingly large baits. in October I would bring a big stick, pin a treble on a shad or a 10/0 and let him swim around. why not?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:11 PM
SS/Veteran

I was off the beach at Fire island with my wife's cuz( 85ish) who usually has a capt running his boat. We caught some shad ran out to drift - 40+ fish were being caught.
Each tide change the day before and at the dock a few came in... I lost fish pulling the damn giant shad out there mouths in excitement. Finally, I had a chance to redeem myself. I fought this giant to the boat twice where it race back down.. It looked like a golden retriever. Cuz . was driving the boat but we had his bait out... My fish was soon tangled with is and . his line was coming up in my reel.... I got neverous tighten my drag and..... went home in shame... On the beach, I never had confidence using one as bait. I like your suggestions, Frank.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Sad story.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

could be worse...did not fall overboard
Old 10-26-2017, 07:46 PM

Big stripers eat the hickory shad below the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna in the spring. It's fun to watch but highly illegal to fish for the stripers.

It's full of life there in the spring. I've had 4' stripers swimming around my kayak when they are spawning up there.

Mark C
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Big stripers will eat 4/5 pound forage species like shad, Pollock, cod. Like the post office says, "if it fits, it ships."
Old 11-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Still, shad are an awful big bait for all but the largest stripers. I think a 10 or 12 inch buncker is more suitable. A shad could not be taken by any striper under 20 pounds. Shad are too big.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM
SS/Veteran

ok, let us talk Bunker... I was about to start a thread but it might apply here.

Frank- Sun rose and the fishing heated up. I caught bunker and accidentally snagged a few. The surface was torn up, gannets were diving and I saw only one keeper taken. I got about ten shorts. I was fishing large plugs and the guy next to me was fishing smaller lures that the bass seemed to be taking more often than not.

After hours of this I gave up but wondered what the best lure to use would have been?

Match the hatch had very limited success.
I never tried big metal or bucktails . Any thoughts.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 PM

If all you have in front of you is schoolies, changing baits is not going to make the fish bigger. Sometimes big baits will cull out large fish but they have to be there.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:05 AM
SS/Veteran

late start but------- I ' m going to go deep and slow and see how it goes...

sounds like a dirty tee shirt idea...

then time for work
Old 11-13-2017, 02:27 PM

Readers should be reminded that there are two species of "shad" -- American white and hickory shad. The hickory run a little smaller and are more often seen on the coast acting as striper forage.