Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Gill Nets

Frank- What do you think and how do we stop this sort of thing...

I heard 9,000 lbs of fish were taken a week or so ago by one netter.
He had to call all his friends for tags.

At the same time, everyone is talking about the lack of fish on the beach.
Late start to the season, water too warm and/or overfishing.

4am all by myself, a blinding light comes towards me, as this boat comes 20" from the beach to set his net at the spot I scoped out the evening before. When I see a seal I think fishing is over. When the gill net cuts off the beach route I feel the same.

From what I read on the DEC site.. they should be 1/2 off the beach at the spots I fish. How can this be stopped? should it? what do you all think?
Old 11-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Gill Nets

Sport fishermen despise all commercial fishing activity. There is an awful lot of cheating in conservation. Reason for this is the money involved. You can't ask people trying to make a living to fish with one hand tied behind their back. Then there is enforcement which is fraught with corruption. The cheating goes on at all levels of sport and commercial fishing. Commercials cheat and so do sportsmen. I just got home from hunting with a bunch of cheaters and on the highway, where I drove the 55 mph everyone else was going 70.

At this site we have a holy man who castigates fish cheaters all the time. All his posts are done during the day while he is at work. Is that cheating his employer?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM

The gill nets are a problem in Montauk and I don’t understand why a certain gillnetter feels the need to set a net a couple hundred yards from the Lighthouse. Like why does he need to draw attention and put a net in one of the most heavily trafficked boating areas on the east coast. Last year he had the audacity to pull next to us and ask us to stay away from his nets. We politely said we would, but then kept right on Fishing right there

Then he takes the fish and doesn’t tag them as you at legally supposed to. Just a way of saying F you I guess.

About 20 years ago there were a handful of pretty hardcore radical wetsuit Surfcasters who talked about swimming out at night and cutting the nets. I have little doubt they did that, one of them was prone to pulling a knife on other Surfcasters if there were words exchanged. By and large the Surfcasters are a kinder gentler bunch nowadays.

But the gillneters arenot doing themselves any favors. Now a couple dolphins got tangled in them. The naturalists doing those bird watching tours will go nuts
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM

Its an ongoing war between commercial and sport fishing interests. We had it in RI for years. Don't know if the Parascandolos are still gill netting in the Sakonnet and Narragansett shores like they used to. The gill netters feel they have a right to make a living and the sport fishermen feel they deserve a right to play. It just keeps playing over and over from one generation to the next.

I see an interesting parallel between gun rights and gun regulation. One side keeps attacking the other. The hostility between the two just keeps building and fails to find any solution.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 PM

I thought about beating him out there and dropping markers and lines all over where he likes to put his nets ...and tell him sorry I’m fishing for starfish ... sorry fella I was here first.
We all have rights. His rights are not better than my rights I pay taxes too.

He is legally allowed to set his nets but the pragmatics of putting nets in such a way to block others a cast off from Montauk State Park is just asking that it escalate. And there are many way more ticked off than me. I actually respect his rights

But let’s be honest. You figure how much is he going to make for a set that day. The sports would gladly chip in and give him that $ to set his nets elsewhere
Old 11-17-2017, 04:24 PM

I understand you, John. So much is wrong with our society. You almost have to shrug and think about something else or you will lose your mind. So many things bother me that I have to work on pretending what I see is not happening.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I understand you, John. So much is wrong with our society. You almost have to shrug and think about something else or you will lose your mind. So many things bother me that I have to work on pretending what I see is not happening.
Well the good news is I might run into him at a bar over the winter, and we will talk about it. When the time is right. I respect what they do. I saw some gear wash up during a recent storm. A very expensive mistake to keep it in the water.

I consider myself a 'liberal' in that I really try to put myself in the other guys shoes.

I do think striped bass abundance is way down from 15-20 years ago, and some businesses that cater to sports took a hit.

But I constantly see ... when you get most guys on a one to one conversation, very few want to see the other guy get screwed, especially the guy that's busting his hump.

We need to back off on the harvest a bit more..and most guys would agree.

But what do I know
Old 11-19-2017, 03:26 PM

When I started striper fishing well over 70 years ago, people never threw any fish back. They gave them to their neighbors who pretended to use them. But because they were not cleaned, they buried them in the garden. At least the guy with the nets, inspite of the belief that commercial fishing is waste, puts food on public tables and an income for the support of his family. All species considered, fishing is pretty good these days.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

I was striper fishing in the mid 70s but by the early 80s they became rare. Thankfully there were weakfish and bluefish. And we could always look forward to surfcast in the winter for whiting

Now that’s gone. Been a good 30 years now since it was a viable option I never knew a fishery could get wiped clean but it did

So I’m just more paranoid about bass.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 PM

The rarity of the 1980s was the cause of the moratorium. The breeding stock was depleted by a combination of bad year classes and over harvest. The overharvest was believed to be a combination of both sport and commercial combined pressure.

Whenever people get poor results in anything they seek to find blame. When we were shooting competition low scores were because that club threw lousy targets. If the stream is not producing good fishing, the state did not stock; don't see deer? The wind was wrong. Commercial fishing is an industry that feeds our neighbors but if we can't catch the nets took too many.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM
SS/Veteran

John and Frank- I was gonna quote one or both you a few times while I read thru the posts. I'm outgunned but your combined knowledge but without knowing enough to blame these guys for the stock depletion.

My frustration comes, as I said from a series of morning incidents at spots -lonely isolated hard won and chosen spots- that ended up being shared with the guys net. I'm not telling you anything new. For me sleep is always elusive so after a few pees I figure the tide is good time to fish. YOu fight to get the coffee down, poop, gear up , dress warmly with endless layers.... not wake the wife and slip out in the wee hours. Then some spotlight appears ... F$%%^^&!. I don't begrudge the guy making a buck but the bride went online and found the regulations ( I was bitching so much) and where we live i believe they were supposed to be off the beach, away from the open cut by a 1/2 mile. Not twenty yards. About 3 weeks ago at some nameless cut near a nameless Corp of engineer built rock pile. I could see a head lamp a hundred yards away. I knew at this place I would have company. I also saw the gill netter arrive. When dawn broke I could see his marker on the sand bar at the cuts opening. Not cool. I also saw the fly fisherman. I was doing dick, casting into the shad and catching them not bass. I looked over and my fly guy was gone and so was the buoy. He cut the net.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Cutting the net just makes it a bigger war. The guy who cuts the net could find his tires slashed. When fishing gets that ugly you end up in some gin mill trying to find comfort. That is not surfcasting.