Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: This was a Shock!

The video calls the Striped Bass a "southern species" that "warming seas" lure to northern waters.

I never considered a striped bass a "southern species" (I'm not "complaining" just that this is a new "reference" for me)

One problem I see in the video is the mixing of the Eastern and Western Atlantic "stories"... I mean (and I'm only *partially* through the video), there are no striped bass over in Europe, right?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Their Europe salmon are being reduced in the North Atlantic at an alarming rate. The salmon's problem is multifaceted. The high seas fishery is taking from European salmon as well as North American. The southern species to which they are referring are likely St Croix natural stripers along with Maine rivers fish and no doubt some from Chesepeake and Delaware R. No one knows which race of stripers is causing all the predation on the salmon smolt dropping down for their first sea swaray. All they know is that salmon natal rivers are loaded with stripers. Maine coast is XXX deep in stripers. Our daughter, Susan, who lives in Maine, catches all the stripers she wants. Most Mainers don't know it but the striper fishing is very good.

Maybe not you or me, but worldwide the Atlantic salmon is a much more important fish than those course, trashy stripers.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:02 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I always knew salmon to be royalty across the pond, it did a great job showing the research into migration patterns... I vaguely remember about the Greenland connection but this video is outstanding. Amazing the amount of research going into this fish.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Salmon are treated as a commodity. The U.S. is the only place where you are not sold salmon fishing and there is little to no salmon fishing here. Consequently, you pay for salmon fishing elsewhere. The price is whatever the traffic will bare. Lower where there are few salmon. In Iceland, where the salmon rivers are the most productive on earth, last I heard it was $15,000 per rod week. Leave your wife at home. In Casupscal , Quebec, the crappy part of the Matapedia cost in the 1980s when I was there was $25/day. I fished for a week and never got a rise. I did see a 46 pound salmon being weighed at the Ministry where they sell you day tickets, which was taken from a more expensive parts of the river. Money buys good water which yields good fishing. That is about as large an Atlantic as you will probably ever see. In broken English the Frenchman who had it admitted that was the biggest salmon he ever saw. Almost humorous that my striper fishing earnings were funding my salmon fishing.

Of course if you are a cheapskate you can pay more for better fishing. Good rivers with prime sections are privately owned and no money can buy you in. The late Ted Williams owned a good section of the Miramachi. Sneak in and someone will shoot you.