Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I have a walking cane from Cabelas which has an interchangeable head that uses a V-device for use as a monopod. When sitting on stand you can adjust the height and get some beautiful bench rest performance. I have used it only once on deer and killed a fork-horn out to 70 yards with it with a perfect shoulder shot. Inasmuch as I need the cane use anyway, the secondary function of monopod is useful.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 PM
SS/Veteran

High winds here, gusts to 45 MPH, power outage now so I am on generator, watching Outdoor channel and all I see is Frank and Joyce road hunting. Come on that is funny.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:39 PM

I am acquainted with hunters who believe that deer will not move when the wind blows hard. Others say the deer move into the wind. If that were the case the deer, given our prevailing winds, would all be in New Mexico and Arizona. We have shot a lot of deer in gales. However, the wind does make it colder and this morning was a bitch!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM

There is a monster buck where we are hunting that is at least an 8-pt. We have seen him at least four times in the last week. One time we had shot at another buck; another time he came out and went left with the shooter too far to the right; we saw him through the scope at 200 yards another time. I think it a matter of time until we whack the buggah. Its been a great hunting season with a lot of encounters.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:04 PM
SS/Veteran

My two cents, buy an Extinguisher deer call that will grunt, mimic a doe and a fawn when adjusted.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM

We know their runs. Its a case of waiting and getting the shot. Just must not miss is all. Remember that this is muzzleloading season.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:01 PM

We started shotgun season in Mass. yesterday and we can't wait to get back in RI where there are more deer. We also froze our ashes off this AM. Both of us are getting too old for this crap --81 and 78. But we do have a couple of deer so far and we can only eat two per year. Joyce fried some deer tenderloin in mushrooms and onions in butter; quite good. Of course at 78 it ain't her first rodeo.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:40 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Quote:

Ohio Opening day numbers up for deer hunters

Deer season apparently opened with a bang.

Hunters in Tuscarawas County reported 768 deer tagged during the first day of the week long deer gun season. That represents an increase of 123 over the first day in 2016.

The season remains open through Sunday.

Statewide, hunters bagged 22,366 deer on opening day. There were 18,776 tagged on opening day last season.

Hunters in Coshocton County tagged a state-leading 924 deer (an increase of 767 from last year). Muskingum County was second with 780 and Tuscarawas County third.

Holmes County hunters tagged 648 (542), while 575 (480) were reported in Carroll County and 497 (525) in Harrison.

Guernsey County hunters tagged 657 (592).

Hunters killed 66,758 deer during the deer gun season in 2016 and bagged a total of 182,169 in all in the combined 2016-17 season.

Two additional days of deer gun season will be held Dec. 16-17 and muzzleloader season runs Jan. 6-9. Archery season ends Feb. 4, 2018.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:18 PM

I know the season long deer kill for those states --PA, Ny, Ohio -- is over 1/4 million. Even in Jersey deer are in nuisance numbers. Where Joyce and I hunt, RI, they kill 2,000 per year. Of course there are no woods and you can bait the deer with your neighbors shrubs.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Deer movement has really quieted down. We had a lot of action during the rut but I think things are in a temporary lull. Nobody is hunting but I think it is because of the cold. I know Joyce and I are coming out at 9:00 AM cold.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
SS/Veteran

This happens every year where the hunting pressure of the early season, deer find a safe place during the day and only move after dark. First snow will tell all.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Things picked up again for us. Luck, I guess.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM

Getting deer out of the woods and into our SUV has been a curse. One thing to drag them and nothing in the snow but lifting that deer body three feet into the back is impossible for two old farts like us. One of the kids bought me a cargo carrier that inserts into the trailer hitch and is only a foot off the ground. Big deer we drag to a high spot and back up close and dump it down into the carrier. Average deer, say 100/110 lbs, we just lift them onto it. The carrier stays outside, the blood runs onto the tote road or highway, and the next rain cleans it. Funny, just when you think you know stuff, you learn something new.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 PM

I have only been hunting for 70 years but I still keep learning new stuff. Even with a hoist/pulley combo, it is very hard to hoist them up to a tree limb for table prepping. This week, being such a smarty and all, I reasoned that the deer's head was heavy and that a lighter deer would go up better; it does. I rolled the head behind the shed and next day the head was gone. Coyotes! Today, I put the cleaned ribcage in the same spot behind the shed. Bet it will be gone tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM
SS/Veteran

You said the neighbor had a trail camera out there to see what was taking the bones a stuff away. You left us are hanging so now is the time to report.