Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fishing for Atlantic Salmon

Only sissies who wear women's underwear would salmon fish in a country that spoke English. What does barely redeem you is they drink well there.

We both should have gone salmon fishing in Iceland. Or have you???
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Art Lee (author of several books, and editor at large of The Atlantic Salmon Journal) has a book on fishing the riffling hitch. In it he disagrees with Lee Wulff's method of tying it.
What is to disagree with? I mean I learned about the riffle hitch by accident tying it wrong. Riffling was, in my case, a delightful product of a mistake. Who gives a rat's ash if a hitch is tied wrong, as long as it riffles. Seems to me that Art Lee or Lee Wulff both get there which is the main thing. I don't know how an author can write an entire book on the use of a knot. I wrote an article one time on the riffle hitch. That is enough -- an article!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Only sissies who wear women's underwear would salmon fish in a country that spoke English. What does barely redeem you is they drink well there.

We both should have gone salmon fishing in Iceland. Or have you???
Maybe not iceland, but over in Europe I think fishing for Searun browns might be a bit more 'accessible' to average angler. At least I read about that years ago (I seem to remember on one of the old usenet groups, an angler organizing outings for such fishing from shore... might have been germany but it's been so long, I don't recall the country. The angler was German, but whatever country it was had fairly reliable searun fishing in estuaries.)

Sorry for the digression from Atlantics LOL
Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Sea run browns are not like salmon in that the browns take and feed readily. The runs are in coastal Northern Europe -- Denmark, Sweden, maybe Ireland. When I was doing my local sea-run brown love affair on Cape Cod, I did a lot of research on other locations. The trouble with these programs, like Atlantic salmon, is the cost. You put a bunch of juvies out in some tidal estuary and they grow fast with estuarine forage. yet, they run local sweet water streams in the fall to spawn. but the Cape program was killed by locals who fished for them behind the stocking truck when they were six inches long. Mc Clane's Fishing Encyclopedia has an extensive coverage on the Europe fishery.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Denmark is big on sea trout. They're browns, but fished for in shallow coastal waters more than in streams. Globalflyfisher.com has lots on fishing for them...
Old 12-12-2017, 06:45 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Frank (and Frank)... yes, I remember reading about outings to coastal waters, not streams.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:35 PM
SS/Veteran

It is very hard to identify brown trout over Atlantic salmon. What is most discernable is the behavior they exhibit when fished. Salmon will not feed; browns, on the other hand, will feed and take angling offers readily. Salmon behavior kind of adds to misteaqe of salmon fishing over a fish that will readily take. Also, salmon get way bigger than browns. I told yuz earlier that I saw a 46 pounder taken on the Medepedia in Quebec. It was taken in a very expensive stretch of the river.

By the way, we have a sea-run browns thread; this is about Atlantic salmon.
Also, I hope I didn't offend Tin Boat with my hastily composed dig on women's underwear. I was only kidding.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:19 PM
SS/Veteran

I was looking through that "fishmadmandotcom.com" site under "ways to fish" then "riffling hitch", and they show stomach contents of a river-caught fish with a lot of insects...BUT...reading further (mostly on another site)...the biologist who displayed the stomach contents and has been studying these fish in several Norwegian rivers finds that in one river, about half the fish had lots of insect remains in them...in another river? Empty stomachs.
I often wonder if some of that feeding comes from memory of eating bugs when they were youngsters (parr).
Old 12-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
It is very hard to identify brown trout over Atlantic salmon. What is most discernable is the behavior they exhibit when fished. Salmon will not feed; browns, on the other hand, will feed and take angling offers readily. Salmon behavior kind of adds to misteaqe of salmon fishing over a fish that will readily take. Also, salmon get way bigger than browns. I told yuz earlier that I saw a 46 pounder taken on the Medepedia in Quebec. It was taken in a very expensive stretch of the river.

By the way, we have a sea-run browns thread; this is about Atlantic salmon.
Also, I hope I didn't offend Tin Boat with my hastily composed dig on women's underwear. I was only kidding.
I have fished salmon in Iceland and loved it. Beautiful scenery, great fish, and lovely people who boast the world's leading ranking in both literacy and alcoholism. The day after I returned I hooked 12 bonito on the same tackle I used for salmon. They were better fighters than the salmon and were right in my back yard. I never went salmon fishing again. And I've never been offended by women's underwear.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM
SS/Veteran

I lot of what we bring to salmon fishing is a head thing. There is this inscrutable houte monde charm in salmon fishing that nightcrawlers for bullheads does not have. Salmon present a challenge that we can't find in other species. Kib is right when mentioning Iceland's ancillary charms -- people, scenery. We must not overlook the total experience so often found in fishing, or even hunting for that matter. Its not simply a matter of piling up fish or one-upmanship. Its a lot of things. As Tin Boat points out (when not talking about women's underwear) who doesn't like a good fight with a bonito?
Old 12-13-2017, 02:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Its interesting how Quebec sells its salmon fishing. Spaced around they have these Ministry Offices where you go in and buy a daily fishing ticket. Where the fishing is usually good, they might get $100/day. Lousey stretches of river, the one Mister Smarty bought, which had fewer salmon, sold for $25/day.

In fall on the Lake Ontario tributaries where crowds shoulder to shoulder seek to foul hook Pacific salmon in what I have seen referred to as "combat fishing" that might be for a course salmon species, but it is NOT salmon as addressed in this discussion.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Twenty-five years ago or so, the Fed developed an Atlantic salmon restoration program in the hopes bring them back. They released thousands of juvie salmon into what formerly had been natal rivers. But the program was a miserable failure. Since that realization, those hatcheries have continued to produce salmon for domestic non- migratory stocking which is why trout fishermen in New England states get a few "Domestic salmon" stock outs every year. This is a genetic strain of Atlantic salmon, if retained, that could be brought back into a restoration effort if policy or funding were ever restored.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Regarding night fishing for salmon, my striper background led me directly to thoughts of "fishing with the owls," as the Mainers say. Nobody fishes at night in Maine so asking about night salmon fishing is wildly intergalacticly right over their bald heads. I tried it one night and was not surprised that salmon hit even better in the dark. Not only that but, though legal, nobody else does it. So there is no rotation, nobody around to bitch about lead footing through the pools. If you raise a fish you can stand there and swing over the buggar's head until the Second Sunday after Pentacost. On the other hand it is kind of lonely and lacks the social setting that springs from waiting for your turn to go through. Everything feeds and is active at night -- deer, ducks, geese, all species of fish. Only turkeys sleep at night.
I don't believe night fishing is legal for salmon anywhere in Canada. Likely as an anti poaching measure.

Interesting that you say you had luck with salmon at night since I remember it as a lost cause according to Hugh Falkus in his Salmon Fishing and Sea Trout Fishing books, two standard works on both subjects. Sea trout aka Sea run browns, in contrast, was a night game.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM
SS/Veteran

All the night activity I experienced was in Maine. My Canada experience was limited and always done in the daytime. I may have asked about night fishing while in Canada; remember that I was in Casupscal on the Metapedia 35 years ago. Canada daily fees in Quebec were prohibitive. Remember, 25 bucks/day, inflation considered, was a lot of moola. in 1980.

I am not acquainted with Hugh Falkus but I suggest to any reader to choose their authoritative advice carefully. For instance, I once heard an "author" tell an audience at a seminar that stripers don't hit after 10:00 PM. There is a lot of crap published out there.