Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I have only been hunting for 70 years but I still keep learning new stuff. Even with a hoist/pulley combo, it is very hard to hoist them up to a tree limb for table prepping. This week, being such a smarty and all, I reasoned that the deer's head was heavy and that a lighter deer would go up better; it does. I rolled the head behind the shed and next day the head was gone. Coyotes! Today, I put the cleaned ribcage in the same spot behind the shed. Bet it will be gone tomorrow.
after 70 years of hunting have you ever cooked a meal ... a roast , brisket , or you the grill burger guy ?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:06 PM
SS/Veteran

"after 70 years of hunting have you ever cooked a meal ... a roast , brisket , or you the grill burger guy ?"

Yes, game cooking is a big part of the satisfaction that springs from hunting. We do a lot of things with game. Bambi-burgers are a high quality burger. Members here who have come to visit like Bob D'Amico and others are always given Bambi-Burgers which is just a high quality burger. Pheasants are a quality chicken. Fresh water duck breast, not salt water, fried with onions in butter will knock your sox off. Five minutes ago I just finished cutting up a medium buck. Tonight we are having burger sliders juiced up with bacon and cheese. Also, a side of Venus D'mallo soup, red wine. The only problem with venison is that it is very lean and you have to add small amount of beef fat. Of course we also splurge and have a beef prime rib. My wife is an awesome cook. We don't go out for dinner any more because we drink and if we get popped for DUI there goes fishing and hunting and gun permits. So we do a lot of game at home. You know what we love the most in game? Burger. I miss eating fresh water ducks but I am getting too old to retrieve them in the swamp muck with waders.

In the deer woods it should be good tracking tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
"after 70 years of hunting have you ever cooked a meal ... a roast , brisket , or you the grill burger guy ?"

Yes, game cooking is a big part of the satisfaction that springs from hunting. We do a lot of things with game. Bambi-burgers are a high quality burger. Members here who have come to visit like Bob D'Amico and others are always given Bambi-Burgers which is just a high quality burger. Pheasants are a quality chicken. Fresh water duck breast, not salt water, fried with onions in butter will knock your sox off. Five minutes ago I just finished cutting up a medium buck. Tonight we are having burger sliders juiced up with bacon and cheese. Also, a side of Venus D'mallo soup, red wine. The only problem with venison is that it is very lean and you have to add small amount of beef fat. Of course we also splurge and have a beef prime rib. My wife is an awesome cook. We don't go out for dinner any more because we drink and if we get popped for DUI there goes fishing and hunting and gun permits. So we do a lot of game at home. You know what we love the most in game? Burger. I miss eating fresh water ducks but I am getting too old to retrieve them in the swamp muck with waders.

In the deer woods it should be good tracking tomorrow.
Yes the game is very lean , & we cook it fast much faster than you would braise duck breast or beef tenderloin . As yourself we don't venture out to most restaurants . Why ? because they don't know how to cook , prepare meals & are very dirty in a kitchen . My wife is an excellent cook which we both share the duties on the stove . We are having a good slow snow fall about 3 " so its on your way to good tracking . I just had to ask wondering if you only did the dishes .
Old 12-10-2017, 02:51 PM
SS/Veteran

I used to do the grilling but my wife got to liking the grill and now I only help out a little with the dishes. I was teaching her to gut deer in the woods and she did one deer but prefers to let me do it and avoids the gutting. I really go along with everything she wants because she is so good to me. Remember, that we will be married 61 years and has been my lover, my sister, my friend and companion. I can't do anything without her. Sometimes she goes to the market to shop while I am asleep and if I wake up before she comes back I pace the house because I worry something could have happened. I often think that I hope to die first.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I used to do the grilling but my wife got to liking the grill and now I only help out a little with the dishes. I was teaching her to gut deer in the woods and she did one deer but prefers to let me do it and avoids the gutting. I really go along with everything she wants because she is so good to me. Remember, that we will be married 61 years and has been my lover, my sister, my friend and companion. I can't do anything without her. Sometimes she goes to the market to shop while I am asleep and if I wake up before she comes back I pace the house because I worry something could have happened. I often think that I hope to die first.
Very understandable, normal as it could be . Can't ask for anything better in life than a good wife .
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Hunting is getting very tough. The cold, now the snow, 4wd accessing. We are coming out by 9:00 AM. The deer are beginning to yard, which means they are bunched up. Where we were seeing one deer here or there, now when you do see deer you see a herd. I have seen as many as 12 at once in the late season. Better that they break up, which, with a softening of weather sometimes happens.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:31 PM
SS/Veteran

We are not seeing any deer in the woods. Sunday morning we saw tracks in the snow crossing out driveway of three deer. Also, unrelated, a pack of coyotes came thru our yard during the night. It sounded like a big bunch yippin and howling. Make you pull the blankets up over your head!
Old 12-26-2017, 11:49 AM
SS/Veteran

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/at...1&d=1514306817

The actual date is a week later but this is one of our kills with muzzleloader by my wife, Joyce, who can shoot the nuts off a field mouse at 100 yards, on horseback, while rolling a cigarette.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Thanks for sharing the picture with us Frank. You have a good women but I'm sure you already know that.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:42 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Fantastic pic, Frank! Hope you had a Merry Christmas, and have a Happy and HEALTHY New Year!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 AM
SS/Veteran

No Bambi burgers there, unless you have found a great spot remover and a set of screw in antlers.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:57 AM
SS/Veteran

The cold is robbing us of hunting time. Wind chills below zero. In our 80s we can't take the conditions going on right now and havent hunted in a week and appears like our one remaining week will be lost. Family saying: "get them early". We did.

My wife always gets more deer than me. This year, so far, I have her beat..... for a change.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:30 PM
SS/Veteran

A coworker gave me a nice venison steak last week. I grilled it for my wife and I last weekend. Her comment: " 'Twas the night before Christmas...and we ate Rudolph..."
...silence...
...then we both started laughing...
Old 12-28-2017, 01:52 PM
SS/Veteran

I worry when people grill venison steaks because they commonly overcook them out of some impurity fear. If in a beef steak you like a pink or red center, then you should do the same with venison -- black on the outside and red center.

We will have lost a big chunk of the hunting season to the impossible cold. We will be okay venison-wise but we would have liked to have had our coming hunting days. Wind chills are below zero at noontime!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:00 AM
SS/Veteran

Hunting is over until April turkeys, which is the funnest thing with clothes. Both my deer were shot at extreme ranges -- one at 70 yards and the other at 100. One gave us a long blood trail, which we lost then finally picked up again. It caused us to bounce from elation to despair each time we lost the trail. For you non-hunters, it is possible to hit a deer and not recover the buggah. You don't have a deer until you actually walk up to him and see his eyes open.

Those of you in Jersey or PA see deer all the time. But where we live its not like that. The average hunter here does not even see a deer, let alone shoot one. Of course, being retired, hunting every day we have an advantage over most other hunters. Also, being 81 years of age there is a little payback which negates some advantages. Recently a Conservation Officer told my wife, "its one thing to see a woman hunting, but one approaching 80 carrying a rifle is a first!"