Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Favorite Artificial?

Which is your favorite lure for casting to striped bass and why? Make the case for everyone to use this plug, fly, jig or do-hickey. (We'll keep it a secret.)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Favorite Artificial?

I've gotten lucky the last few years, especially during the fall run, with an SP Minnow.
I color I use is black top with a silver belly. I eliminate the nose ring, change the treble under the belly to a better treble, and change out the tail treble to a single, dressed hook. I use a black feather for the dressing on the single tail hook.
My thoughts: I think, with the dressed single tail hook, it has a more "eel-like" movement on the retrieve or against the out-going tide. I retrieve it slow and attempt to keep it just off the bottom.
I have the most luck, with this, at false dawn and twilight. I'm not married to the SP and most days I throw the bag, but, based on the past few seasons, this has produced well.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 PM

I like the white floating super strike little neck popper at 1.5 ounces. Casts like a missle and has great popping action. Easy to use in all types if water. Great at sunrise/sunset and cloudy days. Best of all it catches fish!!!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Hi Frank
I can't get enough of the pencil popper.
Yes, i fish during the day.
Watching blues and bass slapping the pencil popper out of the water and continue to hunt it down till they swallow it turns me on. IMO one of the best lures to use during the day and at sunrise and sunset.

But there will be days that the fish ignore the pencil.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Art, we have had a lot of good luck using black both in body color and feather/hair application. I theorize that black has a stronger siluette.

David, the Super Strike is a good popper. I have not done enough popper fishing because of all my night fishing. However, I remember using Super Strike day fishing on Race Bar in P-town if the surf was up.

Miguel, the "Surfcasters Journal" just had a feature on the pencil popper last issue. Apparently, the New York surfmen have the hots for that plug.

Your latest photo contribution is again breathtaking. You always put up the most awesome pictures, This is not the first time. I clicked the save feature in my software and put it away hoping to use it in some forthcoming feature if that is okay. Never hesitate to share your photo work.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masardinas View Post
Hi Frank
Watching blues and bass slapping the pencil popper out of the water and continue to hunt it down till they swallow it turns me on. IMO one of the best lures to use during the day and at sunrise and sunset.

all my presentations are marked as yours , out of the box & on the scale , marker made
Old 04-01-2017, 02:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masardinas View Post
Hi Frank

Great photo! Did you use a polarizing filter?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:21 AM

These small five inch plugs, Bombers or Rebels, will catch 40 pound stripers. When the kids were small everybody caught 40-pound plus stripers on them. You just have to be careful about the smallish/weak treble hooks.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Yes NJ and NY guys love pencil poppers.
Happy you enjoy my photos. You can use it
Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Most productive year in and year out has been a pearl swim shad, almost any kind of tail. Most fun is definitely the pencil popper and in a light surf at night, floating a black bomber on the crest of the first wave, and it getting hammered approaches having the first date with a hottie from high school !

I've yet to do well with darters or pencils ( not poppers but say super strike pencils...though wetzels video in the latest sc journal has given me the encouragement to try again this year)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Surprised nobody sang the praises of the floater Rebel. I could be that better stuff has come along. All six of us back in the day hardly ever fished with anything else. The Rebel murdered when bass were feeding on sand eels. It also might be that Rebels cast rather poorly and surf customs seem to worship at the alter of distance casting. You don't see Ron Arra casting a Rebel.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM
SS/Veteran

I don't use them as much as I should, but I've had more success with Bombers, which are virtual facsimiles of the floating Rebel, than anything else. I like black or blurple at night, and yellow (school bus or chicken scratch) during the day.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 AM

The genre of swimmer in this discussion -- Rypalas, Rebels, Bombers and more -- are all knock offs from the first hand carved Swedish balsa swimmer originated by Laure Rypala. It is a perfect example of a nasty habit sport fishing has of copying each others successful lure designs. To me lure design should be treated as an intellectual property but it is not.

Anyway, I like the small floaters that look like sandeels.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:22 PM
SS/Veteran

There's a 4 or 4.5" Bomber that weighs about the same as my skinny 5" Rebels...both catch very well. The 5 or 6" Bombers are a little thicker and cast pretty well, but the smaller ones are more sandeel-ish.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I don't use them as much as I should, but I've had more success with Bombers, which are virtual facsimiles of the floating Rebel, than anything else. I like black or blurple at night, and yellow (school bus or chicken scratch) during the day.
Chris, those are the two colors I use also...both at night. I think the packaging on the dark yellow with stripes is labeled "yellow baby striper"...or something like that...

I know we use black at night often, but I wonder if dark stripes on that yellow background is more visible under many different lighting conditions (pitch black, new moon, full moon, street lighting etc.) than one solid color...light OR dark? I'm just speculating here (but not baselessly).