Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Team SS

Question Offset vs non offset hook 4 rubber teasers?

I often use soft rubber baits as teasers (e.g. gulp swimming mullet, gulp jerk shad, fin-s, rubber twister tails, etc). I use ringed eye hooks & attatch them w/ a non-slip rapala knot for maximum movement.
My questions:
What are the pros and cons of using and offset hook vs non offset hook for these. My assumptions, which I don't know if they are true or not:
  • off set hooks have a higher percentage of sticking fish as they may grab better for those grab & drop reaction bites or tenitive not convinced but just checking it out bites?
  • the teaser hook being attatched w/ a nonslip loop knot to a ringed eye hook and light leader, the offset hook bend it may adversley affect the movement of the teaser by giving it an unnatural sideways twisting motion.
  • If a hook is non off set, would I weaken it significantly by bending it to be off set?
Are my assumption true? Would you use an offset hook for this application? If a hook is non offset would you bend an offset into it? Anything else I should be taking into consideration for these teaser hook connections
Thanks.
JD
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Offset vs non offset hook 4 rubber teasers?

I just grab whatever is sharp and around the right size for whatever bait it is I'm putting on the hook. Works for me. Trust me, the fish are not checking to see if the hook is offset.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
SS/Veteran

I agree with Ben. Plus what OS hook are you using that has a straight shank? I think most have the snell eye. Plus it would affect the swim of the bait.

You are thinking wat to much...often times we get paralysis by analysis. I think you be be moving close to that. You are giving the fish way too much credit.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Team SS

I know about the overthing it, your right I'm defianaltly OCD. I always make sure my hooks are razor sharp. DJ the hooks I was considering are strainght shank, ringed eye, non offset. I have also used traditional baitholders w/ bent snell eye and offset hook. In my mind I had a higher hook up to bite ratio but I believe I got fewer strikes on the bent eye offset baitholder, then the straight eye non offset hook. I don't know what the overall net was as far as total hook ups between either hooks.
Thanks Gents.
JD
Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Master-Baiter

I use whatever hook fits the specific bait best, but I would have to choose a non-offset for better action (or at least the confidance it gives me that I think it is swimming straight).
Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike View Post
I know about the overthing it, your right I'm defianaltly OCD. I always make sure my hooks are razor sharp. DJ the hooks I was considering are strainght shank, ringed eye, non offset. I have also used traditional baitholders w/ bent snell eye and offset hook. In my mind I had a higher hook up to bite ratio but I believe I got fewer strikes on the bent eye offset baitholder, then the straight eye non offset hook. I don't know what the overall net was as far as total hook ups between either hooks.
Thanks Gents.
JD
jj-It sounds like you are describing as Siwash hook, I do not know what you mean by 'ringed shank'. Either way, bass react to motion and strike impulsively and without a whole lot of pondering, it is usually always a 'competitive' (in competetion with several other fish) strike with these small bass that travel in huge school of sometimes 20 sometimes 100+. Kind of like throwing a carrot to 10 goats.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbasspro88 View Post
I use whatever hook fits the specific bait best, but I would have to choose a non-offset for better action (or at least the confidance it gives me that I think it is swimming straight).
I like your line of thinking...confidence is everything!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 AM

I've been using those, strangely bent, worm hooks, you know the ones that go straight from the eye about a quarter inch then go down at a right angle about a quarter inch then make another right angle bend to continue straight back parallel to the bit at the eye, to the hook bend. I put them in my 4" Finness by putting the point in the front over a quarter inch then make a right angle down and out the bottom then check where the hook should be to keep everything straight and run it through bottom to top. now stretch the plastic bait so you can get the hook point under it's "skin". This will leave the hook shank running under the plastic bait. This is weed free and no bass hits light enough not to push the hook out where it can do it's job.

If a few small bass make a mess of the head end you can back out at the tail and cut off at the head end and start over.

Peace

Frank II

Frank II