Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Fall 2019

just saw birds working in the back bay on my coffee run, Havent seen anything back here for a while...back to wrk...rrrrr
Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Now I know why you south jersey guys fish up north, how is a fish going to see a plug through this crap.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2019, 03:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Cape May Point
Old 12-07-2019, 04:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Cape May Point
Cape May Point!?!? That?s below the Mason-Dixon!

This morning again, 9, no doubles. And one of them may have been born this year😳. Thought I had seaweed.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Smile Re: Fishing Reports Fall 2019

Don LBI: Very impressed over your knowledge of geography. Very few people know that factoid!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Yesterday afternoon my buddy Bill and I hit the beach at Seaside again. I got there at about 1:00 and Bill about 2:30. We fished, but might as well have played cards until 4:00 when the bite started and kept up until we had to drive home. We threw Ava's with teasers until it got dark and caught about 10 between us and dropped another 5 or 6. Then...
I switched to a Sebile glider in black with an oil stain pattern I'd never used before, but thought might be worth a try. I didn't have any confidence, but threw it out and reeled it in a couple times. The 3rd cast I just reeled it really slow, no action and got banged as it came over the lip where the waves were curling onto the beach. In the next 20 minutes I landed 3 more. Wow! I'm still shaking my head about that. I suspect I might have stayed in that spot and caught fish a long as I cared to fish in the dark.
But I had to go.
Has anyone else fished this kind of plug in the dark? (Bayyaker?)
Old 12-07-2019, 06:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Yesterday afternoon my buddy Bill and I hit the beach at Seaside again. I got there at about 1:00 and Bill about 2:30. We fished, but might as well have played cards until 4:00 when the bite started and kept up until we had to drive home. We threw Ava's with teasers until it got dark and caught about 10 between us and dropped another 5 or 6. Then...
I switched to a Sebile glider in black with an oil stain pattern I'd never used before, but thought might be worth a try. I didn't have any confidence, but threw it out and reeled it in a couple times. The 3rd cast I just reeled it really slow, no action and got banged as it came over the lip where the waves were curling onto the beach. In the next 20 minutes I landed 3 more. Wow! I'm still shaking my head about that. I suspect I might have stayed in that spot and caught fish a long as I cared to fish in the dark.
But I had to go.
Has anyone else fished this kind of plug in the dark? (Bayyaker?)
Not a sebile, but the RG in white at night
Old 12-07-2019, 07:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Sebile glider in black with an oil stain pattern I'd never used before, but thought might be worth a try. (Bayyaker?)
Joseph, is that the small one- 3" I think? I have 2, thought they'd be useful when peanuts are around. Thing about the Sebiles is they really don't have the action of a true glider, ala Rui. You have to impart action on the Sebile with the rod tip otherwise it comes straight in.
Could be useful now since I hear herring have been around, especially where you are fishing. Keep up the good work
Old 12-08-2019, 12:44 PM

No, Don- it is a 5" plug. The stripers that hit for mr didn't need much action from the lure, apparently.
If Rui wants to send me one of his to compare I would be very happy to put it to the test.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 PM

No, it's a 5" plug. The fish that hit for me didn't seem to mind its motion on a slow retrieve.
If Rui cares to send me one of his to do a comparison , I'd be happy to put it to the test.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsusaf View Post
Don LBI: Very impressed over your knowledge of geography. Very few people know that factoid!
Very few know it because its wrong! The Mason-Dixon Line does not extend into NJ, it takes a sharp right at Delaware and extends southward to the Del-Maryland line.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:02 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsman44 View Post
Very few know it because its wrong! The Mason-Dixon Line does not extend into NJ, it takes a sharp right at Delaware and extends southward to the Del-Maryland line.
While you are absolutely correct, the southern part of new jersey is physically south of the northern most latitude of the M/D line had it extended East to the ocean.

Last edited by RobS : 12-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Boys it was actually just a tongue in cheek reference
But did you know; A little piece of Delaware is tucked away in southern New Jersey, near Pennsville, New Jersey? Due to tidal flow and the way borders were originally drawn, a small promontory (raised mass of land, peninsula) actually falls within Delaware's borders. It is mostly marshland, and includes portions of the Killcohook National Wildlife Refuge.

My report, my wife was baking cookies today and I was well, let's just say I was told to go fishing . I lasted about an hour, waves were 8-10, water was chocolate brown and I had mung on every cast. With the past few days being so good I thought it was worth the effort.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
.... With the past few days being so good I thought it was worth the effort.

That was my guess yesterday afternoon, too. I tried Seaside again early in the rising tide, and found conditions rough, but looking Very Fishy. The weather was surprisingly agreeable - 54F, cloudy, with gentle WSW winds and not raining. Even the water was not too badly mucked up, looking more green than brown.

In the area I explored there is a great looking trough. The rollers were thundering on the outer bar, but the water in the trough was moving like a river toward a point where it dumped out. Wicked currents for the surfers, but, as I wrote, it looked like there should have been fish. There weren't any there for me or for the one other guy who showed up to try.

I had to leave around 4:00, but I think that I might have found fish if I'd been able to hang around later. High tide was at about 6:00 and the dusk bite was very good last week.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:00 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

[quote=DonLBI;2439513]Boys it was actually just a tongue in cheek reference
But did you know; A little piece of Delaware is tucked away in southern New Jersey, near Pennsville, New Jersey? Due to tidal flow and the way borders were originally drawn, a small promontory (raised mass of land, peninsula) actually falls within Delaware's borders. It is mostly marshland, and includes portions of the Killcohook National Wildlife Refuge.

I knew about that. They call it the "Baja". It's the most western part of NJ. You can see it as a different color on a map. It is where they dumped the dredging from the river so they could build Navy ships in Philadelphia. Delaware went to court and won the case for the land. The state line was the shore line not the middle of the river. I am a storehouse of useless information.