Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-31-2003, 03:04 AM

My wife and inlaws decided to move our trip to the shore this year to the last week in June. I will be in the Chadwick beach area. What can I expect to catch, or at least try to catch that time of year?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:04 AM

My wife and inlaws decided to move our trip to the shore this year to the last week in June. I will be in the Chadwick beach area. What can I expect to catch, or at least try to catch that time of year?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:48 PM
SS/Veteran

You can except to catch the end of the bigger stripers moving through and can probably do pretty well on the smaller ones (upto 14 lbs).
Clams would be your easiest bait to get bait although fresh bunker is what the big boys desire. Fish early morning and after dark. Hit Brackman B&T for your fishing needs. If they don't have fresh clams hit Betty and Nick's or New Dolphin in Seaside.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:00 PM

Trossman1, It will depend mostly on water temp. If it was like last year, The water was warm in late June and the Bass would only really strike from dusk through dawn. The Fluke, Weakies, Blues, even Kings and Croakers may be around though! They were there last year at Seaside Heights!

This year however, water temps are 5-7 degrees below normal already. Expect a later season if it continues this way. Winter flounder may not really get started until April.

Since you are from Poughkeepsie, I hope you go for the Trophy Stipers up the Hudson!

Carl Hartmann
Director,
Hudson River
Fishermen's Association
Fishermen's Association
Old 02-03-2003, 12:53 PM
sun tzu

Its prime time for big stripers at night. Bunker chunks clams are your best bet.

Its also a good time for surf fluke. Metal or jigs with a teaser or killies work well. When tide is up, near pockets of those small jetties down there you will find a good number of fluke. Also, on the backside of BI at dusk and dawn you will find a fair number of big weakfish pushing through to the bay to spawn.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:16 PM

Looking at the posts above the guys gave you some great advice. If the water warms up and the summer fluke are in, here's another way to fish for them. I bring a light rod (Like a freshwater ultra light), use light line(4 or 6 pound test), I use small bucktails 1/8 1/4 oz. and cast them out while walking the beach at sundown. Try different colors til you find what works.

I do this in Seaside Park and it works for me.

Charlie
SeaSide Park Rental Units. GO FISH.