Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Mudhole

The Mudhole "The Mudhole" - This is the place for any area of discussion; National & World Events, Mud Slinging and Politics.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Three gorges damn... Anyone see this show...

Anyone watch the show on the three gorges damn on Discovery channel this weekend. Holy $h!t, talk about an achilles heal!!! Should that thing ever give, millions die and it removes 10% of the electricity from the country. China would be dibilitated for many years. It has warped the plant due to its mass, destroyed priceless archeological sites, lies across a geological fault, and destroyed generations of history to peoples lives.

I find it interesting that that country's ambition would accept such a potential liability, especially from a strategic standpoint.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Three gorges damn... Anyone see this show...

I didn't see it, though I have heard about it. One thing about China... with a billion people the government (for the most part...though the attitude is changing slowly) does not view the loss of many individuals the same way you or I would (think Spock the good of the many is greater than the good of the one type of thing). That was the mindset bread from mao's philosophy and embedded in the culture. Talk of a setback, China has slowly realized the cultural "revolution" they had set them back likely 100 years.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I did see it. It was amazing how much the landscape of those river vallies will be changed forever. I think it was some 130+ cities were displaced. Communism in action I guess. Same country that forces abortions, censors their press and restricts religion. Wish we were not flooded with goods from that miserable place.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSmith
Wish we were not flooded with goods from that miserable place.
If the Chinese workers were paid fairly, the prices on goods produced there would jump so dramatically that it would become possible for American companies to compete in the manufacturing sector.

I felt bad for all the people whose histories were dissolved by the rising waters. I hate seeing the senseless destruction of history, and anthropological treasures. That place is miserable, and it's because of the government. However, if one wishes to make money as a producer and distrubitor, while being competitive in the global economy they must use China because of the cheap cost of production.

I think it sucks too that google sold out in regard to China. If things are ever going to change there it's going to have to happen through ideas created from free thinking, and an underground force with b@11$.

I don't see it happening any time soon.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:34 PM

Three Gorges has driven up the price of steel and concrete for well over 3 years now. It is a monumental undertaking, far larger then any dam ever built.

Fish is correct, if that dam was ever to fail once fully filled, an inland tsunami would devastate large portions of the heartland of China.

It is an amazing project, about the only good thing is the fact that it will offset China's ravenous appetite for increased oil consumption. The human costs of the project are simply staggering.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 01-31-2006, 05:25 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Been following that tragedy (for years) wayyyyyy before the dammed damn took shape.

The Chinese don't give a crap, as long as the Chinese economy forges ahead.

Isn’t that the same attitude we had (still have) over here before we polluted everything...?

Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
SS/Veteran

It's almost like they still hold the same philosophy used to build the Great Wall.

I'm actually suprised the Chinese government allowed the filming of it. No matter how you spin it the people of China are obviously suffering. Did you see the houses with "running water" they were moved into? A WWI bunker looked more cozy!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
SS/Veteran

from "our" perspective, I wonder what it will do to fish and other wildlife? I saw on that special the water will rise some 400 feet in the valleys...that is a deep reservoir.