Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Default Spring Fishing Questions

I would like to start off by saying thanks to everyone. Every time I post something you guys give me a ton of information, its almost overwhelming. I have my usual 10000 questions, so hear it goes:

1) What pond test should I use, mono or braided, what brand?
2) What pond test should I use for my rigs/leaders?
3) How long should my leaders be?
4) Do I tie a leader line if I am using plugs and/or metals?
5) I used teaser rigs in the fall, should I still use them in the spring?
6) Any plugs or metals that work better in the spring than the fall?
7) Is one color better than another during the spring season compared to the fall?
8) What are the bait fish in the spring?
9) Any major differences between the fall and spring that I should know?
10) I've been told its to early to hit the ocean and to try to rivers and bays. Any specific bays and rivers that are good?
11) What are some signs of a good fishing spot in a river/bay?
12) Do the tides effect the river?
13) What is good live bait other than clams?
14) When should I head to the ocean?
15) What works best for you guys?
16) Any other suggestions or recommendations?

If there are any questions I did not ask please post it if you feel it can be useful. I am open to new ideas, so if you guys have some just post them, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Pete
Old 04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Spring Fishing Questions

READ....this site, all of those answers are in the archives.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:35 PM
SS/Veteran

need more info of your fishing preference.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
READ....this site, all of those answers are in the archives.

Start here - - > http://stripersurf.com/scast101.html

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

C'mon guys, we have all been there...

Pmat,
As other have said, go to the home page and read some of the articles. They will answer many of your questions, and those that aren't answered there will be answered here.
Good luck, feel free to ask. Just narrow it down so someone doesn't have to do surfcasting 101...
Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Also, when its time, hook up with someone on the beach, shoot the poop and learn a thing or 2. Allot of people here don't mind someone saying hi on the beach and giving a few pointers. (although a few here do).

Learn by doing.

When my dad and I started casting the beach (40 yrs ago) we looked like real green horns ( as he used to say ). We even started with boat rods down on whale beach and did not know any better until some nice gent set us straight. The rest is history.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Pmat, I'll take #15. I use storm shad, bombers, and sluggo's in the spring at the hook. But everyone has there special goto. Just walk the beach and watch what we are using
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
SS/Insider

1) What pond test should I use, mono or braided, what brand? I personally use 30lb Suffix Braid the most.
2) What pond test should I use for my rigs/leaders? 30lb fluro, 50lb fluro, or 80lb mono.
3) How long should my leaders be? 36"-48"
4) Do I tie a leader line if I am using plugs and/or metals? Your choice. I use a leader 99% of the time.
5) I used teaser rigs in the fall, should I still use them in the spring? Yes.
6) Any plugs or metals that work better in the spring than the fall? Depends on the bait present.
7) Is one color better than another during the spring season compared to the fall? No.
8) What are the bait fish in the spring? Spearing, herring, last year sand eels were still around, and bunker
9) Any major differences between the fall and spring that I should know? Meh. Not anything major if you are just starting out
10) I've been told its to early to hit the ocean and to try to rivers and bays. Any specific bays and rivers that are good? Nope. All are good.
11) What are some signs of a good fishing spot in a river/bay? Locations near mud flats, deeper water, structure and outflows.
12) Do the tides effect the river? Yes.
13) What is good live bait other than clams? Bunker when they are around.
14) When should I head to the ocean? If throwing clams mid April. If lures I have had consistent success around May
15) What works best for you guys? Early spring: Bombers, Redfins, Rubber Shads. Late spring: Poppers, Metal Lip Swimmers, Larger bomber, redfins and shads
16) Any other suggestions or recommendations?Go out and fish
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thanks for the link, its really helpful!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Laniewski View Post
Also, when its time, hook up with someone on the beach, shoot the poop and learn a thing or 2. Allot of people here don't mind someone saying hi on the beach and giving a few pointers. (although a few here do).

Learn by doing.

When my dad and I started casting the beach (40 yrs ago) we looked like real green horns ( as he used to say ). We even started with boat rods down on whale beach and did not know any better until some nice gent set us straight. The rest is history.
I took your advice today, it was really nice out so I decided to take a drive and look at some jettys that I hear are good in the area and talk to some people fishing. Your right there are some nice people out there. I met this guy who gave me some really good advice and pointed me in the right direction with what to use this spring. He had me for over 2hrs telling everything I need to know. There are some great guys out there that are just looking to help people with questions. He also told me about some nuts out there on the jetty and told me to stay clear of them. I hope I dont bump into any of them.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobes View Post
1) What pond test should I use, mono or braided, what brand? I personally use 30lb Suffix Braid the most.
2) What pond test should I use for my rigs/leaders? 30lb fluro, 50lb fluro, or 80lb mono.
3) How long should my leaders be? 36"-48"
4) Do I tie a leader line if I am using plugs and/or metals? Your choice. I use a leader 99% of the time.
5) I used teaser rigs in the fall, should I still use them in the spring? Yes.
6) Any plugs or metals that work better in the spring than the fall? Depends on the bait present.
7) Is one color better than another during the spring season compared to the fall? No.
8) What are the bait fish in the spring? Spearing, herring, last year sand eels were still around, and bunker
9) Any major differences between the fall and spring that I should know? Meh. Not anything major if you are just starting out
10) I've been told its to early to hit the ocean and to try to rivers and bays. Any specific bays and rivers that are good? Nope. All are good.
11) What are some signs of a good fishing spot in a river/bay? Locations near mud flats, deeper water, structure and outflows.
12) Do the tides effect the river? Yes.
13) What is good live bait other than clams? Bunker when they are around.
14) When should I head to the ocean? If throwing clams mid April. If lures I have had consistent success around May
15) What works best for you guys? Early spring: Bombers, Redfins, Rubber Shads. Late spring: Poppers, Metal Lip Swimmers, Larger bomber, redfins and shads
Thanks for answering my questions, they were real helpful. I realized the other day the tide effected the river when I was standing 3 inches away from the water and than 2 hrs later the water was 3 feet away from me. Hahaha

Thanks again,
Pete
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Pmat, I'll take #15. I use storm shad, bombers, and sluggo's in the spring at the hook. But everyone has there special goto. Just walk the beach and watch what we are using
I have a black bomber and it worked reallllly well in the fall. I taked to a few guys today and they told me some plugs to get, hopfully they work.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobes View Post
Best advice given...

Of course searching the archives is great if you can't get out.

Enjoy!