Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:42 AM

Frank,

First off, hope all is well with you and your bride. Things can only get better from here.

Now to get down to business;

I have heard the term "change-up" a few times, and have experienced it a few more times than I would have liked to. Plenty of fish to be had at dusk, topwater is working, swimmers are working, "allswell"......until the sun goes down and just around twilight the fish seem to shut down for an hour or so. Did the street lights go on and they all have to head home or what? Is this the time to check the cooler to make sure the brown bottles are still cold? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike
Old 08-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

This to add about change ups: A lot of times surfmen, including me, will get discouraged when retrieving and rush it to pull "it" out of the water and that sudden increase in speed will evoke a strike.

Fly fishing, on both Atlantic salmon and linesides, the fisher will say screw it, start cranking in the fly line --"click a da click" and bang a hit. The sound of the click travels through the water, when it was not heard during normal fly fishing retrieves causing the fish,it, to take. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

------------------
Frank
Old 07-31-2002, 11:42 AM

Frank,

First off, hope all is well with you and your bride. Things can only get better from here.

Now to get down to business;

I have heard the term "change-up" a few times, and have experienced it a few more times than I would have liked to. Plenty of fish to be had at dusk, topwater is working, swimmers are working, "allswell"......until the sun goes down and just around twilight the fish seem to shut down for an hour or so. Did the street lights go on and they all have to head home or what? Is this the time to check the cooler to make sure the brown bottles are still cold? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike
Old 07-31-2002, 03:26 PM

Great question, Michael, I can't answer that but I too have seen it. I may have to answer this a few times as the related notions visit my mind. A favorite "change up" is moon rise and, or, moonset. i have stood on Race bar tonging with the moon setting in the west and the bass would get in a frenzy, but once that moon set, "badabing!" Over. Similarly, we have been on the Back Beach getting crabs and when that moon came up linesides started hitting. To me sunset is a start,not an end, though I came into an ending seminar one show season and another "expert" was saying that stripers don't hit at night. Hello? Dawn is another favorable change, but the early or what we used to call the false dawn -- the dull glow. I know this raises more questions but a difference that may exist between us is that I have learned to accept the unexplainable as common. I question it but have learned to shrug it off. Of course, a value in the inquiring mind is that I can share it with readers, which I always watch for. As I once told an old girl friend, "I'll come back to this."

Thanks for asking about Momma J. This is the end of the second week and she is a lot better and we have both stopped acting like a couple of pussies. We picked black-eyed susans and razzberies this AM in the woods. If you can get them in the woods, you got half the battle

------------------
Frank
Old 08-01-2002, 12:02 AM

Frank,

Thanks for letting me into the emptyness of cobwebs, backlashes and rusty trebles that sits on your shoulders.

Another question that gets filed under "twilight zone".

These two thoughts came to my mind after reading your post; First, did she make you drive her home when you told her you would be back, or did she walk? Second, can a grassy noel pass as woods? Wife has swelled up like a puff ball and is about ready to pop (6 more weeks). At this point, I'm not even sure if my machine still functions.

Once again, thanks for your time.

I have a few more mentally taxing questions that have gone un answered........

Man of Ink
Old 08-06-2002, 08:56 AM

No harm in having a prying mind, but the woods and waters have many mysteries. Why a fish is here, or why it is not; a deer walks up to you or a you miss a duck and it turns around and comes back to give you another shot. Most of the things in the wild which perplex us really have no answer, at least none that we can find. Even when we have a honey hole (Say, like Split Rock) we might go back there and catch them, but we do not know why they go there. Worse, it may be good because that is where we always fish. It is not easy and the mind can be more villinous than the situation itself. My Rhode Island friend, "Squid" Beaumont, use to say, "Nature is a mother."
Old 08-06-2002, 06:38 PM
SS/Platinum

....the mind can be more villinous....

How many times have I out-witted myself with second guessing or over-thinking, I don't know....
Old 08-06-2002, 09:04 PM
SS/Platinum

"nature is a mother"------great quote Frank, how do you meet these people? Inquiring minds want to know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 09:52 PM

Great relationships are like flowers in a meadow that you are seeing for the first time: They feel right. Beaumont is every striperman's meadow. A quote from Eastern Tides, "Frankie, they stocked the pond."