Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Default National Seashore Access

Frank, just wanted to pass along times/dates for two meetings with George Price, SI of the Cape Cod national seashore. First meeting is tonight at 6PM at P-Town town hall and second meeting is 7/18 at 5 PM at Provincelands Visitor Center on Race Point Rd. Hopefully this will be a constructive meeting on how to better manage the beach and avoid wide spread, plover-induced closures in the future. Unfortunately, there is a rumor that the meeting may actually be intended to prep the public on more widespread closure plans in the future. This may well be the beginning of the last stand for ORV access at the Cape Cod Natl Seashore so I would encourage all to attend, if possible, and voice their opinion.

Frank, just an FYI. George Carlezon has been in and out of the hospital of late though seems to be on the mend. At 89, though, time and tide may be catching up with him.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: National Seashore Access

If it doesn't seem like it's going to go our way let us know who we can E mail with his name and e mail address..
Old 07-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Thanks for the posts. I can't say I'm surprised but any reflections that I might impart would only show how jaded that I am. All the park service is looking for is a bigger budetary allocation. It is the only way they know how to bring the numbers up. One thing it is not -- it is not about plovers.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:12 PM

I agree that the plovers are a hollow excuse to limit access. All race point access was shut down for a month supposedly due to 2 nests which happened to be near the access roads. Also, I'm sure this meeting is intentionally being held during the week to limit turnout. I have to try to get out of work and get to PTown from Boston in time for the Tuesday meeting, a disaster in the best of circumstances but made worse with the recent Big Dig troubles. Many people I'm sure won't be able to do the same. Will report back on the results of the meeting.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM

I took a ride in a boat this weekend past Wood End and Long Point, and remembered the days when we could still drive there. The Locals used those spots as a getaway spot from the harried pace of P-town in the Summer. We lost that to a break at Wood End and were told that if and when it filled back in, we, get it back, Pfft! ANd there is nearly 100feet of water within easy casting distance!! Measured it Sunday. We who fish are slowly, but surely becoming a quaint anachronism. A human buggy whip, if you please. We must write, bitch, complain, email and generally become a pain in the Government's collective arse or we will lose our right to wild fish altogether. And remember this; a Government will never "give" you anything. It only regulates and takes away and denies. Be there if possible, or kiss more goodbye.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Not pushing books because I don't need it but I warned about this in my first book, Twenty years on the Cape, which was written in 1987. When I find time, I'll put up a quote, or someone else can. The NPS is disgusting and I can site inland examples as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:28 AM

JakeJ raises a good point. I've walked from Herring Cove to Wood End many times. The beach is now plenty wide enough to drive on and, in fact, wider than many stretches of Race Point. Re-opening wood end was one of the issues I was going to raise tonight although I'm sure it will go nowhere.