Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Lets Count The Recs

Published: Tuesday, December 12, 2006
New Jersey anglers may get to catch more fluke, but it may cost them.
Those are a couple of highlights in a national fishery bill approved by Congress over the weekend. The bill, which is expected to be signed by President Bush, would relax proposed cutbacks in the fluke — or summer flounder — catch. The federal government wanted to cut fluke harvests from 23.6 million pounds this year to just 5.2 million in 2007. The bill would likely allow 17.1 million pounds to be landed next year, although anglers are still pushing for higher levels.

The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, which the new bill amends, also creates the strong possibility of a saltwater fishing license. That particular section of the 240-page bill was largely overlooked as fishing interests and environmental groups battled over other sections of the bill. This section calls for a registry program for recreational fishermen.

While the law specifically says no fee shall be charged before Jan. 1, 2011, such a fee could be created after that and it would quickly turn the “registry program” into the saltwater fishing license anglers have fought for decades.

The plan is to eventually charge a fee to fund better data collection on fisheries.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Lets Count The Recs

I would like to see a clause that when the recs GO OVER their quota that THE SENATORS CANT COME IN AND SAVE THEM,,,,,,,because thats not management ,,,,,THATS CALLED CORRUPTION
Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Yeah, they should get an accurate count on the# of recs especially those participating in the fluke fishing industry and re-align the split to be 60-40 in favor of the recs
Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

IN ALL HONESTY,,,,,it should be 90 COMMERCIAL........ 10 rec...........there are alot more consumers than RECS.......the COMMS represent the little old lady in ACME buying a fluke dinner
Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Keep thinking that. They'll start the SWL and you'll see that #'s of recs and the first thing we'll go for is greater shares of the pie.

There will be ACTUAL numbers and money involved so take heed in what you wish for.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottog
the first thing we'll go for is greater shares of the pie.

WHEN HASN'T the recs ever NOT gone for the juggler vein? they wanted the WHOLE pie from the begining......as soon as they found out that management meant they were included too.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

300 000 POUND but im not GREEDY
Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Greed is all relative...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Saltwater License I can deal with as long as it doesnt turn into something like we have for hunting.
Lets see, Bow 2006: $31.50
Fall Bow Permit Zone 18: $28.00
Fall Bow Permit Zone 15: $28.00
Shotgun 2006: $27.50
Shotgun Permit Zone 15: $28.00
Shotgun Permit Zone 18: $28.00
Muzzleloader Zone 15: $28.00
Muzzleloader Zone 18: $28.00
Rifle Permit: $10.50

For me to hunt all seasons in my spot and to hunt with my friends and families spot's (when I'm invited) I have to pay $237.50. To top it you're only allowed the same amount of deer no matter how many tags you buy.
I could see it now, spring striper tags, fall striper tags, black fish tags, boat tags, fluke tags ect. What a state we live in.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
SS/Veteran

I think they should group party boats and charter boats into the commercial side. Then it should also be permissible for an angler on one of those boats to get a voucher so they could sell their catch if they wished.

Let's face it, fluke are primarily targeted by head boats and charters, and the commercial fleet. I think this would take care of the fluke quota. Then let 90% go to the comms, once the party and charter boats get grouped in.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Actually, someone had put up some "actual" numbers of the rec breakdown of flukers elsewhere and the highest percentage were private boaters. Might have been NY recs though. Gotta look for it as it was interesting and was expecting it to say party boats as being the bigger piece of the pie
Old 12-14-2006, 05:14 PM
SS/Veteran

I wouldn't doubt that private boaters target fluke more per their trips, but I definitely feel that party boats primarily put more anglers over fluke per season than a standard private boat.

Just think, if party boats were in the comm sector, I would have come home from my last party boat trip with 2 17" fish and a box full of 14"-16.5" fluke to round out my bag limit.

Also, how many party boats see one time\year fares??? How many of them are going home to feed granny some fish???

I think 6packs do more for stripers, blues and weaks than fluke on average, but that's just a hunch. I've never talked with any of my fishing buddies in Pa. who said they ran on a fluke charter. I have many that went for bass and blues though.

I think making partyboats commercial would level the playing field.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank
I think they should group party boats and charter boats into the commercial side. Then it should also be permissible for an angler on one of those boats to get a voucher so they could sell their catch if they wished.

Let's face it, fluke are primarily targeted by head boats and charters, and the commercial fleet. I think this would take care of the fluke quota. Then let 90% go to the comms, once the party and charter boats get grouped in.
thats an interesting thought,,,,,,,,the problems I SEE with recreational fishing is that it ISN'T REGULATED. its easy to regulate the commercial side because theres only x amount of permits and NMFS will take permits away but wont issue new ones, on the rec side, you , me, or Joe smoe from Idaho can go buy a boat and go rape the ocean. theres no way of stopping new participants in the sport and it JUST KEEPS GROWING. every year MORE RECS MEANS MORE FISH taken out of the ocean,,,,on the rec side GOING OUT OF COMPLIANCE or going over ,,,,MORE THAN DOUBLE,,,,year in and year out means just get some more senators in your POCKET.....they don't give a flying hoot about fish stocks ,,,,just more MONEY AND VOTES...... the COMMS PUT MILLIONS of dollars every year into RESEARCH AND SCIENCE so to reduce discards and find cleaner ways to harvest.......what do the recs put in????????? more people ,,,, more hooks.... more pressure on the stocks......which means more fish.....it NEEDS to be regulated,,,,and when the recs reach their poundage,,,,that means they SHOULD HAVE TO STOP FISHING,,,,,,just like the OTHER USER GROUP has to
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank

Just think, if party boats were in the comm sector, I would have come home from my last party boat trip with 2 17" fish and a box full of 14"-16.5" fluke to round out my bag limit.
I think making partyboats commercial would level the playing field.

What are you smokin pal ?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:52 AM

He is smokin something called common sense and fairness.