Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Volunteers Needed for the Amphibian Crossing Survey

Just thought some may find this interesting.
The Division of Fish and Wildlife's Endangered and Nongame Species Program and the NJ Audubon Society are entering their fourth year in a partnership to identify amphibian (salamanders, frogs, toads, newts) crossings in northern NJ. Volunteers are needed to survey assigned sites at night during the month of March, 2007.

All volunteers must be members of the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife's Wildlife Conservation Corps (WCC). It is free to join and membership provides insurance coverage for volunteers while volunteer work for the DFW. All WCC members must be 18 years or older to volunteer for the Amphibian Crossing Survey.

For more information about the Amphibian Crossing Survey and contact information for volunteering, please visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ens...phibvols07.pdf (PDF format) or e-mail brad.yucius@yahoo.com

To become a WCC member please visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/wcchome.htm .

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Volunteers Needed for the Amphibian Crossing Survey

What, no love for the Turtles?

It is interesting, I love stuff like that. Too bad I don't have more free time.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyB
What, no love for the Turtles?

It is interesting, I love stuff like that. Too bad I don't have more free time.
Yeah wish I had the time as well.
I don't know if the turtles do it in mass at night like the others. Theirs a recently paved former dirt road by me right thru a swamp in the past I have seen a bunch of snappers cross, scared to see what happens this spring. It opened mid June and now gets a lot of traffic, to the point when dirt it was a shortcut for me on my way home now its quicker to go the "long" way around. This summer I did carry a 20+ lbs. snapper that I saw in the middle, who thanked me by peeing on my shirt. Another turtle note my soft shell died last week .

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Up in the Poconos where my family has had a small house the last twenty years a phenomenon occurs. Conditions have to be just right for it to happen.

In the late Spring, if you get a nice warm day and then it cools down and rains at or shortly after dusk, the rain hits the warm road and the road starts steaming up. Literally tens of thousands of frogs and toads will come out from the surrounding woods and sit on the road. So many that if you're driving the road, you can't help but run a whole mess of them over. It's actually a mass amphibian suicide. My Dad used to call it "playing four wheel frogger".

Old 01-13-2007, 01:00 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

I didn't think you could get F&W to work at night. Aren't most of them afraid of the dark?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Hey There..........

Isn't the Audobon Society a anti-hunting, anti-fishing organization???????????

They used to be when I lived in Conn...........pressured the state to shut down many waterfowl hunting locations and open beaches for fishing near Hammonassett State Park..............wouldn't work for that Org...........Only My Opinion...............
Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyB
Up in the Poconos where my family has had a small house the last twenty years a phenomenon occurs. Conditions have to be just right for it to happen.

In the late Spring, if you get a nice warm day and then it cools down and rains at or shortly after dusk, the rain hits the warm road and the road starts steaming up. Literally tens of thousands of frogs and toads will come out from the surrounding woods and sit on the road. So many that if you're driving the road, you can't help but run a whole mess of them over. It's actually a mass amphibian suicide. My Dad used to call it "playing four wheel frogger".
Benny,
That happens at IBSP all the time in the summer at night... As you said, they just swarm the road, and there is no way to avoid them...