Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 PM

Default newbie; dumb questions

hi guys! you can call me a newbie, but thanks to the great info on this site i landed my first keepers last fall & returned them to grow bigger. took the wife & son (4yrs) down to IB today. fished a23 from 4-7 & got nothing. kid had fun digging up crabs in the sand though. dumb question; i want to get my buggy pass. i have a 2008 f250 reg cab 4x4. i run 50lbs. of air in the tires on the road. how much should i run on the beach?? i talked to some guys today & got answers from 12 to 25lbs. any help or dumb answers would be appreciated. and where can you get them auto. tire deflaters i seen guys use that auto. shut off?? thanks again! walt
Old 05-20-2007, 07:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: newbie; dumb questions

Welcome Walt
You can get several types of auto deflators. Staun makes them. There are also a host of others. They generally cost about $50. Do a search here as this has been researched pretty thorougly. I use a $1 valve tool that lets out the air (not unscrew the valve!). I put 2 on at a time and just keep my eye on them. Never had a problem. Takes about 2 minutes a side. Saves me $.

As far as pressure, I usually stop at about 15lbs. I had a tahoe and now a pathfinder, never had an issue. I would not go much higher, and would be afraid of popping a bead lower than 15. Just my .02
Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Welcome Walt I've run the beach for 25 yrs tires are anywhere from 17 to 9 lbs depending on the softness of the sand should always be under 20lbs to start and if you feel its straining to run in soft sand or you start to dig in always stop and let out a few more lbs you'll get the feel of how your truck will run better at what poundage also look at the ply of your sidewalls the heavier the sidewall the lower you can go without popping a bead once had 8ply sidewalls on a jeep could run at 4lbs and did'nt look like I aired down

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 05-20-2007, 12:15 PM

I had asked that same question to a IBSP ranger yesterday. He told me he has been driving that beach for 15yrs and 12 lbs of presure will work any and all the time..

"GOT MILK"
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM

thanks for the great info guys!!