Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Flat black vs gloss black as lure color?

Does anybody have an opinion about using lures with a flat black finish versus gloss black color?

I make lures and refurbish old ones as a hobby, I think I'm going to try out flat black for a change.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Flat black vs gloss black as lure color?

I prefer gloss since it reflects light a bit.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 PM
SS/Veteran

i use both,cant see any difference, but then again my plugs are so beat up it woundent matter. dark is dark, and light is light.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 PM

Since fish have a good sense of smell, and some use menhaden oil or similar scents on their plugs, coulndnt a fish smell spray paint that is a few days old, or even a week or more, and say "no way Im eating that"?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM

just wondering, since i spray paint my plugs constantly... I dont own 10 needle fish and other similar plugs, so i paint them from outing to outing at times... same with bombers... fishing day? yellow... night time comes... black and purple fade...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM
SS/Veteran

My only question is, if you use flat black and then clear coat it with e-tex, or epoxy, won't it become glossy???

Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Fish Tank got the same vibe as me.
I wouldn't expect raw paint to hold up at all and would think you might be coating it with some acrylic lacquer or something. I suppose you could use flat lacquer to keep the black flat? I also agree with Joe Augeri - light is light and dark is dark. I'd be surprised if gloss vs flat makes any difference. I agree too with the question about smell from fresh paint - why not just leave one light and one dark and let it go at that?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM

If you don't bother putting a finish coat over the paint It won't really matter too much because when the flat gets wet it's gonna look glossy anyway and won't really stay on the lure very well without a good seal below and clear coat over it.

Armand
Old 12-12-2008, 06:59 PM
SS/Veteran

i used to know guys who kept cans of paint in the buggy,they would spray up something special on the beach. tell the truth,we never thought about the smell,they caught fish,ya never know.
you have to be careful ,if u poxy a plug ,it may not swim the same,this i know as fact
Old 12-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaugeri View Post
i used to know guys who kept cans of paint in the buggy,they would spray up something special on the beach. tell the truth,we never thought about the smell,they caught fish,ya never know.
you have to be careful ,if u poxy a plug ,it may not swim the same,this i know as fact
I've seen the same thing growing up here in Lewes, Delaware.
Customizing lures on the spot. My only comment is that it works in a frenzy situation because let's face it, you could throw a petrified dinosaur turd with a hook bolted on and get em at such times.

It's when fish are scant during pre/post season or when you are on an area of beach that isn't holding many fish that I wonder if the chemical smell will affect results.

Makes me wonder too if Stripers are like fresh water bass, having more than one strike. They strike from hunger or during feeding times. They strike from anger when confronted or disturbed by uninvited intrusions. They strike from fear or surprise when a lure plunks them on the head out of the wild blue.

If Stripers have similar tendancies it makes sense that chemical smell might not ruin fishing completely. Some fish might hit from pure aggression, etc? Supposedly, stripers are largely directed by a keen sense of smell, however. If this is true, it seems unlikely that casual, non-frenzy fish will hit a stinking solvent-smelling lure?

These are thoughts from a relative newcomber to striper fishing so obviously, nothing expressed may be anywhere near the fact.