Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

Full Metal Jacket walks the viewer through Marine Corps boot camp then Vietnam. The Gunnery Sargent, aka Sargent Gunny who trains the raw recruits plays a beautiful part. Wakes them at revile with "rise and shine, ladies!"

They kill a Nam woman fighter who has ambushed the squad saying, "no more boom boom for this momma-san." They show the flick often as we have seen it at least 10 times.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
never ran into "Full Metal Jacket"... have to look around for that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Full Metal Jacket walks the viewer through Marine Corps boot camp then Vietnam. The Gunnery Sargent, aka Sargent Gunny who trains the raw recruits plays a beautiful part. Wakes them at revile with "rise and shine, ladies!"

They kill a Nam woman fighter who has ambushed the squad saying, "no more boom boom for this momma-san." They show the flick often as we have seen it at least 10 times.
I'm not a movie guy, but Full Metal Jacket is a terrific one. It bogs down a bit at the end, but the first hour or so is as good as any movie on war you'll ever see.

Didja know, Mistah Frank, that the guy who plays Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, R. Lee Ermey, was not an actor? He was the real thing: a marine sergeant (drill sergeant, I think), who was originally hired by Stanley Kubrick to be only an advisor on Full Metal Jacket. But he was so good at it, and so much better than the actor they'd hired for the part, that they gave the role to Ermey. And not only was it the most memorable role in the film, it's one of the most memorable military roles of all time. I want that latrine to be so clean that the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to go in there and take a dump!

It really gives an incredible impression of what it was like to go through basic training, even to non-vets/cowards/shirkers like me. I've seen that movie at least 4 or 5 times, but it might be time to watch it again.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM
SS/Veteran

And if you've never seen it, Frank, Au revoir les enfants is my favorite war movie of all time. It was written and directed by Louis Malle, Mr. Candace Bergen (seriously), and it was supposedly autobiographical. It's about a bunch of kids in occupied France during WWII, and the story is both unforgettable and heartbreaking. It's a reminder that children suffer during war too.

It's worth a watch if you've never seen it. Especially if you still remember your boyhood Francais, and don't need the subtitles.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Great post, ma man. (As usual). Lee Ermey, I saw in the news, recently died of natural causes. He was in his high 70's. Some awesome writing/character development, comes out of Hollywood. Stanly Kubrick is, among others, a marvelous director. There is another director, whose name leaves me at the moment, who also kicks cynamatic (sp) butt.

I love character development and have lately begun to dabble in it in my writing. You want to smooze the reader by giving him/her a picture of the person being developed. I just did one of a surf caster named Sylvia who my wife says, is the funniest thing she ever read. What kind of gets my wrasse is that after 50 years of nearly true writing I am just getting the literary message.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 AM
SS/Veteran

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will ...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit ...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!"
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Watched the first part of FMJ last night and I'll say there are a lot of, er, "colorful metaphors" used by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman...
Old 05-31-2019, 01:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Watched the first part of FMJ last night and I'll say there are a lot of, er, "colorful metaphors" used by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman...
I have a nice knife my wife bought me, a SOG Flash II, that is endorsed by the "gunny" from that movie.
I really liked Saving Private Ryan and Platoon.
I don't know if this was stated anywhere, but I once read The Thirteenth Valley which is a lengthy read of a story very similar to Platoon. The new soldier, different leaders, ever increasing enemy presence as they get to that farther valley. The new soldier becomes more of a warrior at the end...kinda like Charlie Sheen's character in the movie.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:05 PM
SS/Veteran

From FMJ Company marching in cadence: "I don't know but I've been told Eskimo pussy is mighty cold. Sound off "
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
SS/Veteran

With the 75th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, there should be a spate of war movies like "The Longest Day". Or how about "Patton"?

Kaserene: "Kick um in the ash!" "God, how I love it."
Old 06-05-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
With the 75th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, there should be a spate of war movies like "The Longest Day". Or how about "Patton"?

Kaserene: "Kick um in the ash!" "God, how I love it."

National Geographic has a series called "Drain The Oceans" which follows marine archeologists around the world.

Their first show is a show dedicated to the Normandy invasion, where they analyze the wreckage of various craft and equipment left on the bottom of the sea off the Normandy beaches and explains in detail what happened to them!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:43 PM
SS/Veteran

We have "Saving Private Ryan" again tonight. Not sure I can stand another viewing -- at least three times since end of turkey season. We need a filler but so many times! Would have preferred "Patton".
Old 06-30-2019, 04:38 AM
SS/Veteran

We still entertain questions on striper fishing. Thing is that 20 years of "Ask Frank" has kind of exhausted all the issues.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM
SS/Veteran

What is happening here at Mister Smarty's: Steve Sink, Bob Marsh. Two guys who haven't posted in years. Glad to see them
Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Trump brings out the best
Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Its not that Trump is so great. Rather, it is that the opposition to Trump is so clumsy and amateurish. I'm convinced that the Times, Post and Boston Provda are going to help get him reelected.