Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Mudhole

The Mudhole "The Mudhole" - This is the place for any area of discussion; National & World Events, Mud Slinging and Politics.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Default NJ to Raise Tolls

Corzine and the politicians of this state are scumbags.
That is all.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: NJ to Raise Tolls

the King and his court... jeesh... I want out of this state more and more ...
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 AM
SS/Veteran

I cant believe hes getting away with this. Its been on the radio for a couple days. This guy acts like NJ is his little kingdom and we are his Serfs.
This is his BIG Plan? An IDIOT could have come up with this. Raise the sales tax, raise the tolls. Wow , what a genius
No talks about cutting spending at all. Just mortgage the next generations future so he can look like he balanced he budget and get re elected by the IDIOTS who put him in office first time around ?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Highlights of Gov. Jon S. Corzine's State of the State address

The Associated Press

Here are some of the highlights of Gov. Jon S. Corzine's Tuesday State of the State address:
, Increase tolls 50 percent in 2010, 2014, 2018 and 2022, but the increases would also include adjustments to reflect inflation in the years tolls weren't hiked. After 2022, tolls would rise every four years to reflect inflation.
, Use money from the increases to pay state debt and for transportation improvements.
, Ask voters to make it tougher for the state to borrow without voter approval.
, Limit annual state spending growth to revenue growth.
, Keep state spending from increasing in the budget due July 1
You all kiddin' right? Sales and income taxes are what is not being touched...rejoice and be glad.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Oops he already raised the sales tax.

I used to run a good length of the NJ Turnpike it was around 1.15 (one way). Under this plan in 12 years that same trip is going to cost me over $18 ONE FREAKING WAY!!!! TO GO TO EDISON NJ, so I can work all day like my wife to afford some of the nations highest property taxes and insurance rates!!! All the while my kids schools looks more and more like a refugee camp with plummeting test scores.

$36 dollars to go to Edison and come home! You have to be kidding me.

Is this a joke? Where is the camera? Wheres Alan Funt???

Last edited by ragman : 01-10-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: thats a no no...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I have to agree, it's pretty lame. No mention of trimming spending, or reducing a bloated staff.
The little woman is already planning routes to come down here from Ringwood without using the Parkway. Imagine what RT 9 is going to be like in a couple years... That will probably be his next plan, put tolls on RT's 9, 70, 55, 206 etc and the rest of the Interstates...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 AM

he may try to sell off the interstates, and let the private corps take in the money.

all that, and he won't let a FUNDED division of NJF&W hire more staff even though they have the $$ from licensed anglers and commensurate federal $$.

AND his cronies keep trying to change the makeup of the F&W counsel to put anti's on there and essentially ban
all hunting and fishing.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
SS/Veteran

Just Noticeable Difference.
Look it up.
He went a tad over the top. Market forces will not let him remain on this path.
Something has to give.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 AM

ok http://www.usd.edu/psyc301/WebersLaw.htm ?

anyhoo, I'm not really opposed to the second part... no more borrowing... if he actually believed it. But he still *is* borrowing to pay down debt, something I've tried that doesn't work because you are still left with debt, and the cronies will still find ways to borrow against any gap of daylight they see. The end result will be yet more debt, and a path of continuing to kill the middle class, the bulk of which are trying to find ways to get out of this crazy spend-it-all state.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
SS/Veteran

It is used in marketing and Taxation plans to decide just when the consumer or stupid herd member realizes a price is too high.

Then they back it down. As you can see screwing us has an actual formula.

Big companies use it to raise prices or reduce size OR BOTH. Ever notice smaller packaging without a price reduction or even a hike? Most of the lowing herd doesnt.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM

ah yes, remember now from my business psych course... which I *hated*

dang marketing and finance folks....

and I *always* notice (or almost always) those packaging changes...

but I guess the real indicator is whether I carry the package to checkout

in this case, the King will push to see when the people will actually revolt... (in the political sense only I hope)....
Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I was wondering if anyone would comment on all the bullshit this guy is pulling. Too much is being done in smoke filled back rooms by politicians and union leaders making deals. Corzine has proven that Democracy is only a word in New Jersey.

I wonder what he promised the NJEA union to get the school funding bill passed by the lame duck assembly and senate?

Did you see the article in yesterday's Star Ledger that there is an alternative test (SRA) for high school students who fail the state test? It's simply incredulous!

Neither Carole or I use the GSP or NJT very much so I'm glad that Shipwreck and others will pay for us.

Most of all I feel so much better now that NJ has officially apologized to all African Americans for slavery. I guess the fact that my grand father didn't emigrate to the US until the late 1890's makes no difference, I'm white and guilty.

Hey maybe the money collected by the state from these higher tolls and taxes can be used to pay REPARATIONS. You know that's coming next!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs down Re: NJ to Raise Tolls

Here's the article about the SRA test. IMHO it's another example of the failure of billions of dollars fed to the sinkhole the Abbot districts. I wonder if the "performance tasks" mentioned in the article include things like removing a full trash bin at McDonald's and installing a new plastic liner.

State decides not to expel alternative graduation test

The Corzine administration has reversed earlier plans to abolish the state's controversial alternative high school exam, and instead will suggest tightening how the test is administered and scored.

After several months of study, state Education Commissioner Lucille Davy this morning will present to the state Board of Education a resolution retaining an alternative test similar to the Special Review Assessment used by one in eight to graduate.

Although details remain sketchy, Davy said the revamped test would be administered under more controlled rules and scored outside the students' home districts.

The current untimed test is given to more than 10,000 students a year who fail at least one section of the state's required high school exit exam.

The SRA has increasingly been relied upon in many poorly performing districts and has drawn criticism as an easier route to a diploma, prompting state officials and the state board in 2005 to agree to end it. The phase-out was to begin this year.

Others contend that some alternative route must be maintained in fairness to students who have passed all their courses and otherwise are eligible to graduate. Davy in recent months has begun to hedge on doing away with it altogether.

In an interview last week, Davy said details of the new exam are yet to be settled, and set a new timeline for the revamped process to be in place by the 2009-10 school year. The current SRA would stay in effect in the meantime.

Davy first needs the backing of the state board, although several of its members had been skeptical of the plan to abolish the SRA in the first place and prodded Davy to retain some kind of alternative.

"This will now continue the conversation we've been having with the state board," Davy said of the upcoming presentation. "This is an alternative way of measuring achievement to the state's standards."

In 2006, about one in eight public high school students needed to take the SRA to graduate, according to the state's most recent data. The numbers rise dramatically in poor, mostly urban districts, where in some high schools a majority of students needed the SRA. But more than half of those needing the SRA also came from suburban or non-urban districts.

The test is composed of a series of "performance tasks" that measure the same skills as the standard High School Proficiency Assessment but are taken over the course of days, if not weeks. Teachers often instruct on the skills at the same time and also score the assessment.

Yesterday, both supporters and critics prepared to testify before the state board on the latest resolution. A research group based in the Education Law Center in Newark recently completed a study pressing the need for the alternative assessment, but also more system-wide reforms in the schools.

"I think this resolution is credible and reasonable," said Stan Karp, a former Paterson teacher who headed the study group. "But we hope if the board adopts it, one of the key things is it takes some time around what the guidelines will be."

Among the critics are a pro-voucher group known as Excellent Education for Everyone, which maintains the SRA leaves too many students with what it considers a worthless diploma.

"The presence of the SRA, and its abuse, undermines the value of the state's high school diploma," read planned testimony from Derrell Bradford, deputy director of E3. "It masks the serious failure of many predominantly urban K-12 systems."

In Newark, where some high schools have relied heavily on the SRA, Superintendent Marion Bolden said she is pleased that the state is backing off. She said the debate has highlighted ways to improve the SRA.

Newark already has taken steps to tighten its own process, she said, mandating tutoring and summer school for those failing the HSPA. Bolden said the SRA rate dropped from a high of 62 percent to about 40 percent last year.

"I think this was a wakeup call for all of us," she said.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM

NJ is about to have the most congested side roads in the country.

Maybe the farm stands will benefit.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSteve63 View Post
NJ is about to have the most congested side roads in the country.

Maybe the farm stands will benefit.
Goddammit! Rt 47 is going to be a nightmare next summer!