Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Question EZ Pass

Just got a new car and need to attach my EZ Pass gizmo to the windshield. On my other vehicles it's attached just above the rear view mirror so it's out of the way however this new car has some kind of "screening" within the windshield. Do you think the EZ Pass transponder will work there or should I move it someplace else? I checked the NJ EZ Pass website, no info......
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: EZ Pass

I don't believe it will read through that.
EZPass also has a transponder for your front plate just for those problems.

First I'd go through the toll then check you account online.
Just make sure your plate is on file with them.

Don't tell anybody but I've gone through many times without the transponder and never had a problem. They just read the plate, billed the account.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I didn't know they read the plate! Even in the high speed express lanes?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Yup. That's the only one I use for my commute.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM

I have the same thing on my truck, my ezpass is just laying on the dash and it works fine. I've gone thru using other peoples ezpass and it was in their pocket.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM

I have a 6" strip of tint on my wind windshield, after installing it I got about 30 notices from EzPass - I didn't know it wouldn't read and for some reason EzPass didn't have my license plate linked to my account - after having an account since ezpass started 15+years ago?

I keep it velcro'ed in the same spot and just pull it down going thru tolls, it won't get lost up there.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

I have heard stories of it reading even when it was in the glove box.

On EZPass site there is an area {when your logged} to add your plates.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 AM

I am pretty sure you can keep it in the middle console and just hold/set it on the dashboard when going threw the toll. I have seen plenty of ppl who just do it this way. It does not need to be displayed while just being on the toll road, just the toll booth. Good Luck, I have used ez pass for about 6 yrs. now, everyone should get it.

Dave S
Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I hate tolls because they are on roads part of the infrastructure that supports intra and inter state commerce, which is already taxed.

That plus the big brother aspects of sleezy-pass has caused me to not get one because it "hides" the pain of paying tolls, and infringes on what little privacy we have left.

Even with that, I'd probably break down and get it if I had to deal with tolls daily on my job... so I understand the "convenience", given my other objections
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I hate tolls because they are on roads part of the infrastructure that supports intra and inter state commerce, which is already taxed.

That plus the big brother aspects of sleezy-pass has caused me to not get one because it "hides" the pain of paying tolls, and infringes on what little privacy we have left.

Even with that, I'd probably break down and get it if I had to deal with tolls daily on my job... so I understand the "convenience", given my other objections
I'm with you. Our comings and goings are tracked enough now days. It's only a matter of time before they use it for something more sinister like tracking speed from point to point. I'm fortunate that I have options for my travels to and from work that I don't need one. Even if I didn't I still wouldn't get one.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Talking Re: EZ Pass

I kinda just think I am not that important to be watched, nothin really earth shattering or sleazy about me. I kinda just like blowin thru them at 45 mph, watching ppl sitting in a line, contiplating conspiracy theories. Haha, lol. Just teasin. Really though, it is kinda a nice convience, even if you don't use it every day.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:52 AM

I'm not that important either. It's just the idea. I can't tell you how many times I was paying a toll watching cars breeze through sleaZy pass, only to catch up with them down the road. Saving time is important, but for me getting in a car and going where I want when I want without someone knowing about it is freedom.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Every toll booth in the world is rigged with video, cameras to take a picture of everyone going through the toll. To catch the ppl who don't pay, ez pass or payin cash. It is thanks to the sleazy types. It is the way of our world now. Main streets, banks, stores, everywhere now has video to catch sleazy types. It is very big brother like, but it is where we are at now in society. Get ez pass or not, they could be still tracking you.

Dave S
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRoc View Post
I kinda just think I am not that important to be watched, nothin really earth shattering or sleazy about me. I kinda just like blowin thru them at 45 mph, watching ppl sitting in a line, contiplating conspiracy theories. Haha, lol. Just teasin. Really though, it is kinda a nice convience, even if you don't use it every day.
I think the day they start issuing tickets for "average Speed" btween tolls, will be the day eveyone turns in their pass...they know that and they dont want that.

Here is your ticket for averaging 70mph in a 65 zone...yah that will not fly for long

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Rob, toll road fees are a legitimate income source for state governments. Historically "roads" were privately constructed and charged tolls. Thankfully the states and the federal government realized that they were vital to communication and commerce and took them over in the mid 1920's. Thanks primarily to seeing the success of the original Lincoln Highway which was built around 1913-14, all from private donations!

My wife's commute is 6 miles on local roads, mine is from the 1st floor to my "man cave office" but we have EZ Pass for both cars for the convenience of not waiting in line.

Tracking, well let's hope when I decide to do something illegal that I remember to stick my EZ Pass in a lead shielded box.

Speaking of tracking, one of my pet peeves is smartphone Apps that want to know my location. I have some of them switched off, e.g. the Flashlight, Dictionary, Google Search and Associated Press Apps don't need to know where I am.