Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Getting started on the rocks

I'm interested in fishing the jetties at some point, but will not go out without proper equipment and some idea of what I should be doing out there. My wife and kids really need me to come back again in one piece, ar least until I buy that extra insurance.
First time out I'd like to hook up with someone a bit more experienced. In general, here's the set up I'm thinking to put together:

Waders with a good wading belt (will purchase both in October)
Korkers with SHARP screws
Rod and reel that can take some abuse
A limited selection of plugs/lures that I have some comfort in using in a surf bag with strap.

Go at times other than full high tide or rough conditions, daylight only to start. Night trips later I'd add a quality headlamp. Fishing bait would also add a few other items as well.

Am I in the ballpark here? I'm thinking simple is good out there, but would appreciate feedback from experienced jetty jockies (yeah, even those who leave the yak at home to combine spelunking with rock hopping )

Ed
Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Team SS

Default Re: Getting started on the rocks

Ed,

Take a look at the Aquaskins wading belt. I started using one this Spring and it was defintely worth it. Also, make sure the plug bag that you purchase has belt loops so it can attach to your wading belt. It will keep the bag from swinging around on you.

Member Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 09-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

I have three rules besides the "korkers are a must", "should wear a pfd", wear a belt with your waders" etc....

If I need a dry top to stay dry from the wave spray...I'll fish the sand.
Never fish on the rocks alone at night.
Never fish the rocks 'really' tired.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 AM

Sounds like your off to a good start. I would add an 8' gaff, you can use it as a walking stick when your not landing that 30#er. I would be glad to take you out anytime, let me know.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Benny, you try out the modified korkers? Mine were a mess.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
SS/Insider

even in calmer condition's, ya gota watch for those "sneaky waves"
Old 09-03-2007, 11:08 AM

I haven't tried them yet, what do you mean by a mess?

Did you get my message?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:28 AM
SS/Insider

Carry an extra light. If your light dies at the tip of the jetty on a dark night it will be a loooong walk (or crawl) in!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Some conditions will require a waterproof, hooded rain jacket. A better bet than the waders is waterproof pants. You can move more easily and I believe it's safer.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
A better bet than the waders is waterproof pants. You can move more easily and I believe it's safer.
Waders a tight belt or 2 (waders -belt-top-belt) are safe but waterproof pants to me are more comfortble less bulky and set up right you can do a little wading, I don't know how many times I told my self I'm not wearing waders during the NJ angler Tournament wading into the pocket, my feet got a little wet.
When getting the headlamp get one with a amber/red light option or snap on filter peserves your night vision no white light to accidently shine on the water, if you don't feel safe and want more light by all means take off the filter and make it as bright as you can

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM

Small maglite attached to a referee's whistle holder and put a whistle on it. Put it around your neck. God forbid you fall in the water,you have a better chance of someone hearing the whistle blowing than you yelling.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM

RE: Waterproof pants: I wear insulated bibs with elastic cuffs and calf high muck boots now for late/early season surfcasting. I can take a wave up to the waist and remain in the water for 5 or 6 seconds without getting water in the boots (yes, I'm ready to buy waders!). What kind of "waterproof pants" would work with boots to do the same thing? Can I get away without the elastic cuff to seal out water as I'm up higher than the beach, or do I still need to assume that I may get swamped once in awhile? Tons of hits for waterproof pants out there with a quick google search, but I need to spend my shekels carefully.

The feedback on this thread is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Listen, when you are on the big rocks, you have no biz getting water anywhere near your waist or high enough to seep into your boots as if you are wading a beach or rip. I have on many occasions used carhart waterproof bibs and also my Marmot water proof pants. They slide right over my waterproof field boots.

Sure water may splash on to them and hit you good, but it is all running down. When water is coming up from your boots enough to flood over the tops of your muck boots you are screwed. So in short you should be fine with waterproof pants over waterproof boots. I wear my Guidewear parka from Cabelas and stay bone dry.

My biggest piece of advice is to get out there alot during the day to scout good fishing spots, find trouble spots and safe havens. They are pretty small and after a few times out you start to recognize the rocks individually.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

I've been waiting to see if any of you guys would say a rope/stringer to carry your fish or hold them while your still fishing. Being how I don't fish the rock pile I'd leave it to the guys who do.

But nobody said it which leaves me to believe you guys don't catch fish out there

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Catch and release you fish eatin' barbarian.

fish killer