Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default 50-Pound Stripers

As a popular thread that is revisited every year, I love bringing this up. Only this season we have a bunch of regulars here -- Al, Capt Bigass, Jason and no doubt others -- who can contribute mightily to issues of fishing, growing, and finding the bench mark of surfcasting. Here at the Center for the Advanced Study of Trohpy Stripers (CASTS), your discussion regarding "fifties" is invited.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: 50-Pound Stripers

New state record was taken last week out of the Hudson, ca. 56 lbs.

But not from the surf and by trolling an artifical.........

I had some good luck there last week live lining herring and heard report of a 48 lber taken too.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Was that a river record? I know many over 56 have been taken in NY State.

CL
Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM
SS/Veteran

that fish was taken up the hudson river, probily full of eggs, damm shame.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Thats a river record John C,s friend had the old record of 54#.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:29 AM
SS/Veteran

("fishing, growing, and finding the bench mark of surfcasting")

The senario:Someone gets "interested" in surfcasting bass. They get more and more into it and in a few years, they are finatics. By now they have caught many fish but probably no "true large". They then "commit" to doing what it takes; they learn all they can, they change their methods, locations, timing.
If they know they are fishing where fifties can be taken, if they know they are "doing things right", the "large" will come; and (eventually) so will the fifty(ies).....................JC
Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM

People who get a fifty somewhat regularly are on to what it takes. But most surf fifties are shear luck. The test, in my opinion, is whether that person ever does it again. Also, I have seen a lot of surfcasters get delusional about their prowess when they had no clue. But even if a person was just lucky, it is a feat that is deserving of recognitiion .... like a big racked buck, a hole-in-one, bowling a perfect game. A milestone.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
SS/Veteran

"Most surf fifties are shear luck"??? I beg to differ! I've got 12 from the shore/surf, I believe they were the result of a combination of hard work, sleep deprivation and "good fortune". I've also had my share of "bad fortune" (lost 50+'s) which cancelled the "luck aspect" and still left me with what I've got (12). I have also had equal success/failure from the boat (another 12) and I don't believe that I'm anyway near "done" yet. I just need to slow down in the work department at some point which is fully intended in about 5 years when I'm "fully vested" with my company.
We all "grow" or stagnate or some of us even regress; things and people are always changing. When I was younger, my focus was on catching jumbo bass. Today my focus is in my work; tomorrow (in five years) I hope to be able to surfcast every day in an area that is inhabited by 50's (NOT Boston Harbor!).......................JC
Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Jason,
I think your post reflects on an important thing. Your large came at the expense of sleep deprivation and all the things associated with that. However, you also were able to find where they might be, and capitalized on it. I dont think most guys today are willing to deal with the hardships that you and others like Frank, Al, Chuck, had to deal with. I think that is where the luck comes in. Someone tosses a bunker head, clam or a plug, and they get a moby. Probably never thought it would happen, but it did. Never discount the luck factor...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Tug McGraw said it best after the 1969 World Series....."I'd rather be lucky than good".

Having said that, all anyone had to do if they wanted a fifty was to go to Nauset Beach in the late 1970's with a bucket of live eels, find the crowd, and just start fishing. Sooner or later, you'll get a fifty and maybe even a sixty.

I have mixed feelings about the fact that I had hung it up by then, and missed the era of the biggest bass ever. My last fifty was in 1969, same year as the Mets won the series.

CL
Old 05-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglsister View Post
"Most surf fifties are shear luck"??? I beg to differ! I've got 12 from the shore/surf, I believe they were the result of a combination of hard work, sleep deprivation and "good fortune". I've also had my share of "bad fortune" (lost 50+'s) which cancelled the "luck aspect" and still left me with what I've got (12). I have also had equal success/failure from the boat (another 12) and I don't believe that I'm anyway near "done" yet. I just need to slow down in the work department at some point which is fully intended in about 5 years when I'm "fully vested" with my company.
We all "grow" or stagnate or some of us even regress; things and people are always changing. When I was younger, my focus was on catching jumbo bass. Today my focus is in my work; tomorrow (in five years) I hope to be able to surfcast every day in an area that is inhabited by 50's (NOT Boston Harbor!).......................JC
12 - 50s!! That's incredible, I'm still waiting for my first 30.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Well Jason, in your effort to quote me you went out of context. Go back and read the sentence before that and you might even agree with me.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
People who get a fifty somewhat regularly are on to what it takes. But most surf fifties are shear luck. .

OK,ok,...you got me! And I also agree with Charlie:"I'd rather be lucky than good any day"!

And PTW: I've been fortunate (lucky?) enough to catch 24 bass over 50 (12 from shore and another 12 from the boat).

Frank, I'm counting my 5 from the bridges as "shore" (as I did "walk down" and beach all but the one someone bridge gaffed for me). Is that fair? How would you catagorize them?.........JC
Old 05-19-2007, 11:52 AM
SS/Veteran

I know I'll never get another 50 unless the bluefish leave my rigged eel's alone. Just too many blues. More blues this year than last year.
Catching a 50 almost any othe way is a very lucky catch.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 PM

As I said earlier, my last fifty was in 1969.....because I retired from surf fishing in 1970. What I am proudest of is that all of my fifties were caught in an era when 50 pounders were far more rare than they were a decade later.

The bass I am most proud of was not my largest.....it was a 52 pounder caught from a jetty, under adverse northeast conditions. I won't bore you with details of the fight, except to say that it was spectacular. White water was crashing over my head on occasion that night, and it was while coming out of a crouch after a wave passed over that the fish struck. And he tore the ocean wide open. The year was 1964, and a fish that size was still very unusual, especially on the Long Island beaches.

By the way, Bentsen was home with a bad cold that September night.....maybe that's where my lucky factor came in.

CL