Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:53 PM

NMFS is conducting the first round of public hearings to decide if it is going to open the EEZ for Striped Bass Fishing. JCAA has opposed this since 1995. There is potential of greatly increasing the catch and especially the bycatch. Every time a new directed fishery happens more bycatch takes place, not less.

It is especially interesting to note that NMFS is considering opening that the EEZ at the same time it voted to restrict the recreational catch in NJ, NY, PA and DE under Amendment 6. But NMFS did vote to increase the commercial fishery. JCAA is holding it's General Meeting on October 28 and this will be one of many topics of discussion. JCAA was one of the driving forces behind the effort that succeed in stopping the opening of EEZ in 1996. The anglers of New Jersey showed up in force to voice their opposition. It was the largest crowds NMFS had ever seen at public hearings in one state. In the two scheduled hearings in Ocean County over 500 anglers showed at each meeting. The first one in Ocean County was closed by the Fire Marshall because over 700 anglers were trying to get into a room designed for 125. The hearing in Long Branch had over 900 people show up to voice their opposition. That is the main reason the EEZ stayed closed.

Amendment 6 has not even been fully implemented and we do not know what effect this will have on the overall mortality. We know if cutbacks have to be made in 2004 or 2005 it will come from the recreational sector and not the commercial sector.

This is one of the topics JCAA will discuss with Dr William Hograth, Head of the NMFS, at the JCAA Dinner on November 9 at Crystal Point Yacht Club. Dr William Hograth is our scheduled speaker at our dinner.

Remember, this is the second step in the process and it would be nice to kill it now instead of having to drag this out for over a year. To keep updated read your newspapers or email me at tfote@jcaa.org. We need all the recreational angling groups to work together to see that the EEZ remains closed to striped bass fishing.

################################################## ##

NOAA FISHERIES HOLDS PUBLIC MEETINGS ON POTENTIAL CHANGES TO ATLANTIC STRIPED BASS MANAGEMENT
NOAA Fisheries will hold a series of public meetings in the Atlantic coastal States to discuss its intent to prepare an environmental impact statement (EIS) to analyze the impacts of potential revisions to Federal Atlantic striped bass regulations for the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). NOAA Fisheries is considering a recommendation from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission to implement regulations in the EEZ that: (1) remove the moratorium on the harvest of Atlantic striped bass in the EEZ; (2) implement a 28-inch minimum size limit for recreational and commercial Atlantic striped bass fisheries in the EEZ; and (3) allow states the ability to adopt more restrictive rules for fishermen and vessels licensed in their jurisdictions. All persons affected by or otherwise interested in Atlantic striped bass management in the EEZ are invited to participate in determining the scope and significance of issues to be analyzed in development of an EIS by participating in one or more of the scheduled scoping hearings.

Schedule of Public Scoping Hearings:
Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - Portsmouth, NH, 7-8:30 p.m.
Urban Forestry Center
45 Elwin Road
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - Manteo, NC, 7-9 p.m.
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
374 Airport Road
Manteo, NC 27954

Tuesday, November 18, 2003 -Toms River, NJ, 6-9 p.m.
Quality Inn
815 Route 37
Toms River, NJ 08755

Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - Dover, DE, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
Richardson & Robbins Bldg.
89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE

Monday, December 1, 2003 - Stony Brook, NY, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
State University of New York at Stony Brook (SUNY)
Student Activities Center
Nicolls Road
Stony Brook, NY 11794

Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - Old Lyme, CT, 7-9 p.m.
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, Marine Headquarters
Boating Education Building
333 Ferry Road
Old Lyme, CT 06371

Monday, December 8, 2003 - Portland, ME, 7-9 p.m.
Holiday Inn By The Bay
88 Spring Street
Portland, ME 04101

Tuesday, December 9, 2003- Bourne, MA, 7-10 p.m.
Canal Club
100 Trowbridge Road
Bourne, MA 02532

Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - Narragansett, RI, 7-9 p.m.
University of Rhode Island, Bay Campus
Corless Auditorium
South Ferry Road
Narragansett, RI

Access the Federal Register Notice that announces NOAA Fisheries Notice of Intent to Develop an EIS. Copies of the scoping document will be available on this website, after November 3, 2003. Written scoping comments should be sent to: Anne Lange, Chief, State-Federal Fisheries Division, Office of Sustainable Fisheries, NMFS, 1315 East West Highway, Room 13317, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Comments may also be sent via fax to (301) 713-0596.

Tom Fote
Release for Tomorrow
<@((((((>< <@((((((>< <@((((((><
Legislative Chairman
Jersey Coast Anglers Association
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsman's Clubs
22 Cruiser Court
Toms River NJ 08753
<tfote@JCAA.org>
Phone 732-270-9102
Fax 732-506-6409
Email tfote@jcaa.org
WEB PAGE <http://www.jcaa.org>
WEB PAGE <http://www.njsfsc.org/
Old 10-26-2003, 03:53 PM

NMFS is conducting the first round of public hearings to decide if it is going to open the EEZ for Striped Bass Fishing. JCAA has opposed this since 1995. There is potential of greatly increasing the catch and especially the bycatch. Every time a new directed fishery happens more bycatch takes place, not less.

It is especially interesting to note that NMFS is considering opening that the EEZ at the same time it voted to restrict the recreational catch in NJ, NY, PA and DE under Amendment 6. But NMFS did vote to increase the commercial fishery. JCAA is holding it's General Meeting on October 28 and this will be one of many topics of discussion. JCAA was one of the driving forces behind the effort that succeed in stopping the opening of EEZ in 1996. The anglers of New Jersey showed up in force to voice their opposition. It was the largest crowds NMFS had ever seen at public hearings in one state. In the two scheduled hearings in Ocean County over 500 anglers showed at each meeting. The first one in Ocean County was closed by the Fire Marshall because over 700 anglers were trying to get into a room designed for 125. The hearing in Long Branch had over 900 people show up to voice their opposition. That is the main reason the EEZ stayed closed.

Amendment 6 has not even been fully implemented and we do not know what effect this will have on the overall mortality. We know if cutbacks have to be made in 2004 or 2005 it will come from the recreational sector and not the commercial sector.

This is one of the topics JCAA will discuss with Dr William Hograth, Head of the NMFS, at the JCAA Dinner on November 9 at Crystal Point Yacht Club. Dr William Hograth is our scheduled speaker at our dinner.

Remember, this is the second step in the process and it would be nice to kill it now instead of having to drag this out for over a year. To keep updated read your newspapers or email me at tfote@jcaa.org. We need all the recreational angling groups to work together to see that the EEZ remains closed to striped bass fishing.

################################################## ##

NOAA FISHERIES HOLDS PUBLIC MEETINGS ON POTENTIAL CHANGES TO ATLANTIC STRIPED BASS MANAGEMENT
NOAA Fisheries will hold a series of public meetings in the Atlantic coastal States to discuss its intent to prepare an environmental impact statement (EIS) to analyze the impacts of potential revisions to Federal Atlantic striped bass regulations for the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). NOAA Fisheries is considering a recommendation from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission to implement regulations in the EEZ that: (1) remove the moratorium on the harvest of Atlantic striped bass in the EEZ; (2) implement a 28-inch minimum size limit for recreational and commercial Atlantic striped bass fisheries in the EEZ; and (3) allow states the ability to adopt more restrictive rules for fishermen and vessels licensed in their jurisdictions. All persons affected by or otherwise interested in Atlantic striped bass management in the EEZ are invited to participate in determining the scope and significance of issues to be analyzed in development of an EIS by participating in one or more of the scheduled scoping hearings.

Schedule of Public Scoping Hearings:
Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - Portsmouth, NH, 7-8:30 p.m.
Urban Forestry Center
45 Elwin Road
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - Manteo, NC, 7-9 p.m.
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
374 Airport Road
Manteo, NC 27954

Tuesday, November 18, 2003 -Toms River, NJ, 6-9 p.m.
Quality Inn
815 Route 37
Toms River, NJ 08755

Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - Dover, DE, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
Richardson & Robbins Bldg.
89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE

Monday, December 1, 2003 - Stony Brook, NY, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
State University of New York at Stony Brook (SUNY)
Student Activities Center
Nicolls Road
Stony Brook, NY 11794

Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - Old Lyme, CT, 7-9 p.m.
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, Marine Headquarters
Boating Education Building
333 Ferry Road
Old Lyme, CT 06371

Monday, December 8, 2003 - Portland, ME, 7-9 p.m.
Holiday Inn By The Bay
88 Spring Street
Portland, ME 04101

Tuesday, December 9, 2003- Bourne, MA, 7-10 p.m.
Canal Club
100 Trowbridge Road
Bourne, MA 02532

Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - Narragansett, RI, 7-9 p.m.
University of Rhode Island, Bay Campus
Corless Auditorium
South Ferry Road
Narragansett, RI

Access the Federal Register Notice that announces NOAA Fisheries Notice of Intent to Develop an EIS. Copies of the scoping document will be available on this website, after November 3, 2003. Written scoping comments should be sent to: Anne Lange, Chief, State-Federal Fisheries Division, Office of Sustainable Fisheries, NMFS, 1315 East West Highway, Room 13317, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Comments may also be sent via fax to (301) 713-0596.

Tom Fote
Release for Tomorrow
<@((((((>< <@((((((>< <@((((((><
Legislative Chairman
Jersey Coast Anglers Association
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsman's Clubs
22 Cruiser Court
Toms River NJ 08753
<tfote@JCAA.org>
Phone 732-270-9102
Fax 732-506-6409
Email tfote@jcaa.org
WEB PAGE <http://www.jcaa.org>
WEB PAGE <http://www.njsfsc.org/
Old 10-29-2003, 06:26 PM

Great post bobber.
Ted
Old 10-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

everyone that is concerned needs to go out to these meetings and say their opinions, and hopefuly fight for the commercial industry to get their quota back on striped bass for the state of n.j. that is the right thing to do, the n.j comms needs their stripers back and are tired of wasting these fish for no reason. we dont want it all JUST OUR SHARE..

honestly i hope these meetings are handled better than the last striped bass meeting i attended 6-7 years ago . i think it might of beeen in toms river,, up that way, when as i stepped out of my vehicle , i was met by pickets, which said ban nets-no comms--, and like that. i even saw grown people dressed up like fish, and it wasnt even HOLLOWEEN. most smelled of alcohaul as the BUS WAS LOADED WITH KEGS. I saw MANY CARRYING CUPS FULL OF BEER. i couldnt beleive my eyes. RUDE ,IGNORANT , DRUNKEN SPORTS , all hollaring and heckling young KIDS that tried to say their point. i hope this time around we can conduct ourselves with better manners AND RESPECT, and hopefuly we learned from our mistakes.. I GUESS YOU CAN SAY THATS WHAT GIVE ME 25 DOLLARS, OR MORE WILL GET YOU. see you at toms river BENTROD