Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Baitcasting reels with lures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumBass View Post
I had power pro slick 8 put on all my reels at 1 time and when I first used it I almost stripped it off all my reels the first day because it was a nightmare casting with it. Its not that i needed a learing curve its just that it needs to break in. I can confirm that because I been using 2 of my reels that line is well broken in a lot and recently I cycled my reels with the exact same set up amd unused line and it was a nightmare again. I just put a 3 or 4 ounce sinker on and cast it a few dozen times. That doesn't fully break it in but it loosens it up. Once it's broken in its faded quite a bit so basically the slick 8 is just a waste of money at least for bait casting reels.
I have been trying Berkely fireline crystal and spider wire stealth. I don't have as much time and number of casts in yet, but both are significantly better than power pro on my abu's. Mono is aways great when using poppers as it stays higher in the water column and is easier to pick up when popping a surface lure, and it is easier for me to clear if I do make a hurried cast, during a period of bad judgement while casting to an area exploding with action! I want to get this braid experiment figured out mostly because while fluking , you do get a better feel when using the soft plastics bouncing bottom.There are so many choices in braid, fluro, and mono these days, other experienced surfcasters recommendations are always welcome.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Baitcasting reels with lures.

Braid is the way to go if you tog fish also. You want to yank them buck tooth beast out of the rocks you can't afford line stretch to allow them to get back into the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
I have been trying Berkely fireline crystal and spider wire stealth. I don't have as much time and number of casts in yet, but both are significantly better than power pro on my abu's. Mono is aways great when using poppers as it stays higher in the water column and is easier to pick up when popping a surface lure, and it is easier for me to clear if I do make a hurried cast, during a period of bad judgement while casting to an area exploding with action! I want to get this braid experiment figured out mostly because while fluking , you do get a better feel when using the soft plastics bouncing bottom.There are so many choices in braid, fluro, and mono these days, other experienced surfcasters recommendations are always welcome.